PO: Coheed & Cambria - The Color Before the Sun

Basically this. And to take it further; haven't the band's last 2-3 albums fallen way into the realm of pop? I kind of just assumed that's what they do, now.

I wouldn't go that far. There were definitely the stand-out pop songs but overall they played in the same sandbox as the other albums.

My knee-jerk reaction to the first listen is that there's a decent Coheed ep here. It's no accident that "You've Got Spirit, Kid" and "Here to Mars" were the first songs released from the album, they're also (IMO) two of the ones that stand out the most. "Atlas" is my personal favorite after the first listen. A lot of the other tracks just sound like stripped down Coheed to me, very basic 4-minute songs that just trail off into oblivion and suddenly you're onto the next track. I found myself thinking "oh, that's it? that one's over?" more than once. 

I'm not ready to write it off, I definitely want to give it more listens (especially with vinyl or a better quality digital version). A big part of me misses the story, that was half the fun of going back and picking the lyrics apart. These songs are pretty straight forward, which isn't bad, but coming from a band like Coheed it's underwhelming. 

Now? Every record is poppy has hell. "Hehe, Shabutie" ring a bell?

There have always been a handful of poppy tracks on their albums, sure, but at least in the Good Apollo era you were getting interesting 7+ minute epics that were doing more than hammering a bubblegum chorus home.  When I think about IKSOSE:3, I don't instantly think of pop, despite Blood Red Summer being infectious in the best way possible.  I just feel like they're leaning way towards radio-accessible songwriting, and that's all I'd really expect from their newer releases.

There have always been a handful of poppy tracks on their albums, sure, but at least in the Good Apollo era you were getting interesting 7+ minute epics that were doing more than hammering a bubblegum chorus home. When I think about IKSOSE:3, I don't instantly think of pop, despite Blood Red Summer being infectious in the best way possible. I just feel like they're leaning way towards radio-accessible songwriting, and that's all I'd really expect from their newer releases.

Alright, I see what you were saying now. You're totally right about the GA-era stuff, I always thought Good Apollo 1 was the best rock record that didn't come out of the 70s. I guess I need to hear this new record in its entirety. Although, the four tracks I've heard are rad. Here to Mars is one of my favorite CoCa tracks period.

Yeah, this is cool. Island, ghost, atlas, and peace to the mountain are standouts. Everyone talked about heavy the audience is, and yeah, it's that, but it sounds kind of out of place, like it belonged on YOTBR. Granted, this is all after one listen. I'm sure I'll learn to love all of it. Love the variation between songs though.

EDIT: just listened to Colors again, that song is incredible.

So we are assuming it will be less or as limited as the egg white/180g variants

Probably. I'll ask Blaze tomorrow. Maybe Adrian knows. Possibly even Jess or Matt. 

#droppedsomenames #letmepickthemup #idon'tactuallyknowthosepeopleatall #justtheirnames #hashtagsmakereadingthingsdifficult

Just caved and bought my ticket to their show Tuesday. I'll see what the vinyl situation is and try to pick up an extra (assuming they have them). Please don't pm me looking for one, I'll post in here if I have an extra.

This album is growing on me quickly. Some of the songs are super catchy. I find myself with them stuck in my head a lot.

Just caved and bought my ticket to their show Tuesday. I'll see what the vinyl situation is and try to pick up an extra (assuming they have them). Please don't pm me looking for one, I'll post in here if I have an extra.

This album is growing on me quickly. Some of the songs are super catchy. I find myself with them stuck in my head a lot.

I'm guessing retail press band signed at the show.

Listened to the CD while chatting on the drive back from NYCC...I'll revise after a solid listen, but...

It's a solid pop/ rock album. It's not bad. It's not their best, but it's absolutely different from previous releases. It's shorter, poppier, but still impressive. It's more true to reality. Easier to relate to than some other songs shrouded in metaphoric stories. It's worth hearing before you buy, but the more you hear it, the more you like it. That's why I'm considering it pop rock as opposed to a prog or "metal" album. It's catchy and pop laden. Like Taylor Swift, Genesis, The Clash, etc. It sounds like none of those people, but it has similar effect.