PO Now: Alex G - Beach Music

I've listened to this album a few times over the past week, good stuff. First album I've heard of his, and it reminds me a lot of someone else - I think it might be Bored Nothing, who reminds me of Elliott Smith.

There's one song, "Snot", that reminded me of a specific song from another artist, but I couldn't put my finger on it...until today. 

(track to 0:37)

(track to 2:08)

edit: wait smashing pumpkins is kinda good why did no one ever tell me this

Lol. Yes Gish and Siamese Dream are amazing, even if some of the singles got overplayed in the 90s. "Today" was one of them - it stood out to me as a favorite when I first got the album and before it was a single, then it totally changed after I heard it a bunch of times on its own. Same thing happened with RHCP's "Under the Bridge", it became something different and less special after I started hearing it all the time. But back to Smashing Pumpkins, thankfully they didn't have too many singles from that album and many of the tracks remain magical. Start with Gish and Siamese Dream.

Yeah I mean, it's the same chords, in the same key, with the same melodic phrasing and timing. As a songwriter myself, it happens sometimes, intentional or otherwise. There's a finite number of combinations of musical elements that sound pleasing, and eventually they're going to overlap a bit, unless you're making something purposefully atonal - and Alex G seems more interested in melodies that are pleasing in a more traditional sense. I love him for that, though.

the pumpkins song rips, snot rips - and for different reasons at that, so who cares?

a word to those of you not in the know, Alex recorded, performed, and wrote two songs on the Cold Foamers LP, which is still available here: http://www.slugsaltrex.com/products/533554-cold-foamers-all-cold-everything-lp

Also a few copies in our store :D This was seriously the best debut lp of the past few years man I love it so much. so solid from start to finish