PO Now: Alex G - Beach Music

What I think is really noteworthy and interesting is that the title is Beach Music, yet in my opinion this is the most suffocating release of his. Instead of spacious relaxation, the majority of the album instilled a constant, tense static energy; continually straining. In many songs, every movement of rhythm seems sedated yet constricted. Each clash of gentle synth-organ moan against slit-eyed acoustics swaying the itch-scratching electric sputters throughout.. It's hefty with infinite depth but I personally don't feel most of it to be spacious; rather walled-in, contemplative and focused in it's sparsity. The few tracks which do open up enough do evoke the beach feels are the only tracks where I felt that tense energy to loosen up enough for passive relaxation (which is what "Beach Music" invokes for me). Which is odd in the best way. The majority of the album; the down-tempo, pensive, stationary, "cold" atmospheric tracks somehow constrict and stress and strain so tensely. It's jaw-gritting, imo. The few upbeat songs instill the exact opposite energy for me.. Snot is the only track I found gentle enough to relax and have my mind drift away to, the rest of the album was so immediate and demanding (in the best way.) Though I suppose it is worth noting that moment of calm and relaxation (arguably the most upbeat song, which is interestingly contradictory) follows Station, a corroding clashing distorted melody reminiscent of the tongue in cheek classic "don't worry, be happy" so..

man i love this album 

Yeah, came in here to post the vid too. But also enjoyed this tidbit of info from the rolling stone article

The spacey synth-pop dreamer "Salt" began life as a fairly straightforward guitar song, says Giannascoli, "but I knew that a real drum kit would seal the deal too much, and I didn't want it to be a neatly wrapped thing like that." So he tinkered with his girlfriend's vintage Yamaha keyboard until he found a drum-machine patch with the right feel — soft as a pillow, and ever so slightly disorienting. "The riff just came from me sitting in my room, fucking around for a while until I came up with something," he says.

It's obviously shit for a lot of reasons that it leaked way in advance (particularly for Domino), but hopefully some good will come of it. I know for a fact that Alex has such a cult following and that 90% of the people in this thread have bought the record already (some people more than once). Really hope the new label sign will eventually gives him more listeners. Of course I can't speak for Alex but I'm sure he's somewhat happy that people are finally hearing it -- even if it is a little early.

That being said, first impressions are that it's incredible. Walk is giving me Skipper vibes so it's an instant A+ for me.  :wub:

Every time I hear Skipper I get goosebumps. What a perfect song!

I don't know about that. They're both pretty neck and neck IMO. But "Salt" is soooooo good. I have to listen to that track anytime I play Beach Music.

I agree, but I usually prefer sonically "cooler" atmospheres so I gotta say Beach Music may be my favorite of his now. DSU with it's excellent use of "warmth" is equally incredible in it's own way though. 

But I'm with you on "Salt!!' it's like laying on a herd of fluffy sheep at night