PRE-ORDER: Nada Surf - Live at the Neptune 3LP Live Album

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/nadasurf

I love Nada Surf.  But $75 for a 3LP stings.  I'd gladly do without the bundled poster, booklet, tattoo, sticker, keychain, poker chip, and other throw ins and just pay normal price for the LP.

Or there should be a Support the Band Superfan bundle where people can throw $75 at their favorite band and a Regular LP Non-Superfan option where people can just buy the music and not add $40 of extra support.

I feel the same way you do, bake. Unfortunate how many bands do this. It's interesting though--as much as I want this I probably won't buy it due to the exorbitant price, so it makes me wonder whether they're actually missing my business or not. Like, does the $75 package have enough of a profit to justify and offset an (assumed) larger ordering base of just a ~$35 LP?

• 5 weeks later...

It seems like some bands are a bit out of touch with their own business' media formats.  I think there are musicians who look at vinyl the same way some consumers do: as fancy collector's items that are worth extra rather than as another format to listen to their music on.  

It's a bummer.  $55 seems arbitrary too unless Pledgemusic takes a 15-20% cut for every order.  How much would a 3 LP album cost per unit to be pressed?  Less than $30 per unit, right?

Just saw this.  Why 3 LPs when it looks like the tracklist is only 21 songs long?

I think they just wanted to put together a package that felt like a rare, special, limited edition set.  It's a call back to a simpler time, when infomercials would peddle unnecessary collector's items to music fans as rare limited artifacts; like if Time/Life released a never-before-seen book of Beatles photos in an over-sized, super-thick hard cover even though it only has 15 pages.  This is Nada Surf's steel lunch box with a limited edition All is Love window decal and Inside of Love coin, except it's just a live album of 21 songs bundled into something expensive.

• 1 month later...