PC Internet tech help please

kgry

I'm having some internet connection issues with my desktop PC and I can't pinpoint the problem. I upgraded to Windows 10 from 7, the problems started. Here's the basics:

Windows 10

Comcast internet

Comcast supplied black Arris router (tg862)

Wireless PCIe Asus card (previously was a Dell wireless card)

Internet speed with the old Dell card, 1mb after upgrading to Windows 10. Speed with the new Asus card, 40mb

Tried turning off antivirus and firewall

My internet speed got very slow after upgrading to 10. I'm on Comcast. I was using an old Dell wireless card and figured I'd try upgrading. Got an Asus 802.11ac wireless card. Definitely faster but the connection seems spotty. Sometimes it works right away, sometimes you click a link and it takes 2 minutes to load.

Anyone experience something like this? When I connect using my phone as a hotspot (also going through the same Comcast router, using the new Asus wireless card) I have no connection issue. If the router was an issue, the phone hotspot shouldn't work. If the new wireless card had an issue, it shouldn't be able to connect to the phone hotspot. So it's an issue with the PC connecting directly to the router I think. I keep thinking because the wireless card is 802.11ac and the router isn't ac, that's an issue but it should be backwards compatible. Is there a setting I'm missing?

I'm not going to be able to give you more advice than this, but there are a few simple things I would do before messing around with settings to see what happens:

1. Connect the PC to the router with a wired connection and see what happens.

2. Connect the PC to another wireless network (a friends rather than a public one) and see what happens.

3. Connect another PC wirelessly to your router and see if that makes any difference to its normal performance.

It's very probable that the problem is both the new card and the new OS. Personally, I'd remove Windows 10 (not just because of the problem you are having; nothing I've read about it online makes me want to install it) and return to Windows 7 and see what happens (if the above tells you nothing). There's a good chance that the drivers for the card don't work well with the new OS.

You could also temporarily partition your hard drive, install a Linux system (Ubuntu for example), and see if it connects. Wipe the partition later (or if you have plenty of hard drive space, keep both operating systems -- it can sometimes be useful).

Just another way of isolating hardware and software to drill down into the root cause.

I have a laptop that connects to the router and has no issues. It's running Windows 7. The router is only about 30 feet from my desktop, on the same floor of the house. PlayStation, phones, etc all connect with no issues. I can downgrade back to Windows 7. I don't think the wireless card is the issue since it's pulling 40mb download speeds and my connection to the router is 120mb. It just won't consistently stay connected to the internet. I've tried all the browsers. When I click a link and it's trying to load, sometimes I'll close out of the browser and reopen it. Works the first time after reopening. It's almost like some kind of lag if you aren't always trying to load a page.

Windows 10 has a built in feature that automatically shares system update files to other people, sorta like a torrent. that way it doesn't bog down their servers and isntead bogs down your internet.

here is a tutorial on how to disable it. 

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2955491/windows/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-using-your-pcs-bandwidth-to-update-strangers-systems.html

lol ^

Make sure you drivers are updated. Look at Papercup's suggestion too. Depending on your number of connected devices and internet speed automatic in home sharing could be bogging you down significantly.

I would suggest you to update the driver using the steps provided and check.

You need to have the exact driver installed for the device to work properly. Probably, you can locate a driver by following the steps provided. If you are able to locate the driver, you may download and install to check with the issue.  

a. Press Windows key + X and type M to open Device Manager.

b. Right Click on the WIFI device & Select Update Driver Software

c. Select browse my computer for a driver software

d. Select let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer

e. Select the driver option according your device model and install

You may refer the steps mentioned in the article “Wired and wireless network problems” and follow the steps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows/network-connection-problem-help#network-problems=windows-81&v1h=win81tab1&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

You can also disable WUDO, which is stupid and great for Microsoft and potentially bad for you.

I mean, I don't want to argue it, but simply starting a computer in safe mode does absolutely nothing... Safe mode is a tool that uses very low screen resolution and a minimum of hardware support so that you can limit the number of things running. If the issue on a computer is a third party app that auto starts and can't be disabled because the computer is crippled as soon as you reboot then you need to use safe mode to disable it. But simply logging in to safe mode does 0 for your computer.

Safe mode exists, literally, to help troubleshoot issues.  Since it removes all third party apps, as you said, it'll help pinpoint the problem.  If he reboots in safe mode (with internet access) and doesn't have these problems, then we know it's a third party app.  Not to mention it's a nicer way to say the obvious "please restart your computer" :)

On OSX, rebooting in safe mode actually does a repair on your computer too, but I don't think Windows does that.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm going to try these in a few hours when I get home.

I'm paying for, I think, 50mbps. I did a speed test and it was between 35-40mbps on the wireless card. I haven't tried plugging directly into the router yet but I will to troubleshoot.

I tried a few drivers and they all experience the lag. Windows automatically installed a driver the first time, which was the most up-to-date driver. Then I tried the driver the card came with, which was older. Didn't help.

Disabling WUDO sounds like a possible winner.

I pay for 75, and if I plug in directly / am right next to my router wirelessly, I can get anywhere from 50 - 85 or 90.  When I move two rooms away, it drops down to 20.

I bought 2 airports to use to extend my signal, but it turns out that if you're wirelessly extending your signal, you're doing more harm than good.  I really have no unobtrusive method of snaking an ethernet cable through my house but I might have to do so.  It'd look cool if I ran christmas lights through it though!

Oh I know paying for the advertised speed rarely gets you that speed. But 40mbps is probably as close as I'll get to 50 going wireless.

When I first upgraded to Windows 10, and still using the old Dell wireless card, I was only getting like .5-1mbps. That's how this whole thing started. I knew something was wrong so I started with the wireless card as my laptop was pulling good speed through the same router.

Hai, I'm new.

So check this out. It's probably the Asus Wireless card (i.e A driver issue). Asus is not known for wiriting current drivers, they usually put out a piece of hardware, write a driver for the current flavor of windows/mac and sometimes linux. and then rely on Microsoft or with Linux community to update the driver for whichever edition of windows a driver is needed. In short, Asus drivers are Shitty and straight up their build quality can be just as bad. They're unreliable hardware

Here are my recommendations, let me know if any of these work and I'll be happy to help you troubleshoot this until you're in a situation you're happy with.

1.Turn your firewall/AV RIGHT the fudge back on.

2. Based on your internet speed (40, right?) go to the store and buy yourself a Wireless N (~42mbps) or a wireless G (52/54mbps) Wifi card that's USB and not PCIeWireless AC will only benefit you if you're streaming from a media server in your home or doing wireless transfers from PC to PC. Avoid CHEAP belkin, Asus. http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WN722N-Wireless-Adapter-External/dp/B002SZEOLG/ref=sr_1_23?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1441846231&sr=1-23&keywords=windows+7+compatible+wireless+adapters&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_three_browse-bin%3A6011969011

3. If you're technically inclined set your router up for 2.4GHz and Auto channel selection. This will make your weefees more reliable. 

4. A cheaper option is to go out and get yourself some cat5 cables and plug that bad boy in. I just don't see the point in troubleshooting this a whole lot, but I'm down to help. 

lol, safe mode.

Quick update on this and thank you to all that helped. There were a lot of Windows updates that never installed, I think, due to the connection issue. Those installed and the problem is gone. I'm getting over 50mbps now on the wireless.

Really stupid Windows doesn't report an error downloading updates. And I'm not seeing a way to prompt me before downloading updates, just a prompt before restarting after installing updates.