PO 02/11 : Cult Of Luna & Julie Christmas - Mariner

49 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

The yellow does look truly fantastic, but it's missing some bottom end.  I didn't know you would want a copy, i already let someone else have my extra :\   I might decide to part with mine, because truthfully I probably won't listen to it that much.  Let me sit with the album a little while longer, and see if it grows on me more.  Really, I wish they would just do "A Greater Call" as a 7" single or something, because that track kills and it's the only one on the album I actually have any emotional attachment to.  

Oh no worries, bud. I'll pick up that extra copy from Eclip. at some point then. I just there were more CoL vocals and the album would be perfect. It's a $25 album for me, not $35. Know what I mean? That first track is just so fucking good. 

45 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

Oh no worries, bud. I'll pick up that extra copy from Eclip. at some point then. I just there were more CoL vocals and the album would be perfect. It's a $25 album for me, not $35. Know what I mean? That first track is just so fucking good. 

Welllllllll, if we're talking yellow, it's actually a $40 record....    and that's why I gave IndieMerch such shit about the way they packaged it.  You're charging me $45ppd, and you're not even going to attempt to package it well?  Eat a dick.  At least show that you appreciate people dropping so much money on your product by making sure it doesn't rattle around in your mailers.  

But yeah, you're right... I wish Johannes was more prominent too.  That's what makes "A Greater Call" so awesome for me, the tandem combination of the two.  The rest of the record has Julie screaming on it, which I'm not super into.  Also, the low end is really missing in the guitars and bass.  Very strange.  The mix is awesome, but there's no balls to it.  

2 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Welllllllll, if we're talking yellow, it's actually a $40 record....    and that's why I gave IndieMerch such shit about the way they packaged it.  You're charging me $45ppd, and you're not even going to attempt to package it well?  Eat a dick.  At least show that you appreciate people dropping so much money on your product by making sure it doesn't rattle around in your mailers.  

But yeah, you're right... I wish Johannes was more prominent too.  That's what makes "A Greater Call" so awesome for me, the tandem combination of the two.  The rest of the record has Julie screaming on it, which I'm not super into.  Also, the low end is really missing in the guitars and bass.  Very strange.  The mix is awesome, but there's no balls to it.  

The slow song on the album is freaking amazing though and its just him and the other guy, its seriously earth shattering. Cygnus is also amazing! I was a doubter at first but it has grown on me and I have spun this album i think more than any other of theirs. Also they are going to do another album from what the singer said to me. I was disappointed when i thought this might be their last album and he was barely in it. I think we will get another COL album sooner than later. 

5 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I've got to say, after wondering 'how could it be that bad?' for you, my copy of Vertikal I+II just came in the mail from Indie Recordings and aside from some fairly noticable corner dings, the gatefold sleeve is damaged - there's actually a tear on the back that's deep enough to call a hole. Admittedly it looks like the damage happened en-route, but the only protection in the mailer was a thin bit of bubble wrap. I've reached out to them now so hopefully I'll get a replacement sleeve. Hope you got your situation resolved in the end?

As for the album, after going back and listening to more of the just-CoL albums I definitely get where you're coming from. Though I can't say I was ever disappointed with Julie's vocals - I love the swing from real gnarly screams to more delicate sounding vocals on almost the turn of a penny. It's certainly different, anyway!

9 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

After all was said and done I have a spare purple and a spare blue.  PM me what you'd like sir.

3 hours ago, Mattallurgist said:

I've got to say, after wondering 'how could it be that bad?' for you, my copy of Vertikal I+II just came in the mail from Indie Recordings and aside from some fairly noticable corner dings, the gatefold sleeve is damaged - there's actually a tear on the back that's deep enough to call a hole. Admittedly it looks like the damage happened en-route, but the only protection in the mailer was a thin bit of bubble wrap. I've reached out to them now so hopefully I'll get a replacement sleeve. Hope you got your situation resolved in the end?

As for the album, after going back and listening to more of the just-CoL albums I definitely get where you're coming from. Though I can't say I was ever disappointed with Julie's vocals - I love the swing from real gnarly screams to more delicate sounding vocals on almost the turn of a penny. It's certainly different, anyway!

Yeah they suck at packaging stuff.  For the replacement they sent me, they doubled-up on the cardboard.  You should still slide the record around inside, so it came with seamsplits, but at least you couldn't rattle it like the original package.  So we're straight.  

I'll give it another spin just to see whether it grows, but for me... it's more of an art piece than an album I love.  I don't get why there's no ooomph in the low end though.  It's weird.  

I pre-ordered the blue one and I just love it. The other day I read on the band's official Facebook page that they will have yellow copies for sale at the upcoming concerts, and since I'm going to see them in Stockholm on Sunday I'll definately have a look there. If they have the purple one I might pick that up as well, since I just read on Discogs that there are only 530 copies of that, compared to the yellow that is 730.

Does anyone know how many black ones there are?

On 5/9/2016 at 4:32 AM, Mr Mojo said:

I pre-ordered the blue one and I just love it. The other day I read on the band's official Facebook page that they will have yellow copies for sale at the upcoming concerts, and since I'm going to see them in Stockholm on Sunday I'll definately have a look there. If they have the purple one I might pick that up as well, since I just read on Discogs that there are only 530 copies of that, compared to the yellow that is 730.

Does anyone know how many black ones there are?

Yeah I wish I waited and got the yellow from them at the gig, it would have saved me SO much money, but I was under the impression that the yellow was only 100 and that's why it cost more.  Oh well.  

48 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Yeah I wish I waited and got the yellow from them at the gig, it would have saved me SO much money, but I was under the impression that the yellow was only 100 and that's why it cost more.  Oh well.  

It actually is a bit confusing. I also heard the yellow was 100 copies, so I was _this_ close to order it when I found it online a few weeks ago. Then I read on Discogs about new numbers, but I don't know if the info there is 100% accurate either.

The discogs info is correct, I had contacted the band about it on Facebook and they told me it was the same.  Not sure why it costs more though.  Maybe the coloring...  who knows.  

That Stockholm show looked amazing, the lights there are incredible.  Check out PG.Lost's video they posted on Facebook for some SERIOUS fucking insane headbanging going on in the upper balcony haha.  Crazy.  

So glad they brought out the intro to Echoes

• 4 weeks later...