Astronoid - Air (Blood Music 2016)

37 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

my blue should be coming soon!  I got a shipping notice last week sometime.  Psyched that these guys are hitting my area on tour with a band that my girlfriend is friends with!  Moon Tooth.  Maybe we'll get in for free :D:D:D

Nah dude, spend that money on the ticket. It'll be worth it and you'll be helping those bands.

19 hours ago, Freki said:

Sound of the vinyl?

I mean, it sounds fine, just not quite what I was personally hoping.  I was ready for this to be HUGE, but I'm not too big of a fan of how the drums sound; they're not as 3-dimensional or spatial as I anticipated, at least for the few couple songs so far.  The vocals sound great over top everything, for sure.  Those are mixed very well.  The parts that sound much better are like the solo sections, when the guitars are higher up on the neck.  The solo section for "Up and Atom" for instance sounds fucking great, there is finally some breathing room to the music and you get a sense of space and separation between the instruments.  Everything else kind of feels mushed together, if that makes sense. 

So this is weird for me; some of the songs have sections where everything feels mushed together and it's all squished tightly, and then some sections explode and there's tons of space between everybody.  Very strange!

This could also just be a taste thing, as the production style is a large reason why I don't listen to much metal anymore.  Everything is too clean and triggered and you lose all the balls and warmth of real instrumentation. 

My blue vinyl is also a bit warped, haha, it looks goofy as it spins around my table.  Some sides are squished, and the needle does a bit of a rollercoaster. 

Edited by Gumbo72203

1 hour ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Also, this guy is a fucking tool:  https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/420055702

Yeah, he's got both of the color versions up for about double or more what they cost.

I have to agree about the sound. I'm listening now, and it's not as breathtaking as I expected it to be on vinyl. It sounds good, but just not as good as it could, I guess. If that makes sense. It's not terrible by any means.

1 hour ago, THE_James_Champ said:

Yeah, he's got both of the color versions up for about double or more what they cost.

I have to agree about the sound. I'm listening now, and it's not as breathtaking as I expected it to be on vinyl. It sounds good, but just not as good as it could, I guess. If that makes sense. It's not terrible by any means.

Yeah it's just like, choked off.  There's not much dimensionality to it, until the instruments separate registers.  Their choice of crash cymbal I think has a lot to do with it, or at least the way it was mixed.  The high frequencies from that are washing out a lot of the spatial separation that could have been there.  The ride cymbal also sounds a little odd to my ears. 

Still good, not sure I'll hang on to it though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Mine sounds fine, no audiophile set up here, and I only have to turn it over once.

For this genre/ sound, it's production is just fine. Just tweeked the EQ a bit (Loudness button always in, Bass -1, Mids/Highs +2.   [Denon TT, Ortofon Red/Marantz 2270/Polk 5 way Floors] 

I don't prefer the 2xLP 45RPM for routine pressings, even with an automatic TT and especially for listening to drone. Getting old and lazy, don't want to be babysitting the set up.

For audiophiles, one track per side, go for it --- or like we had in the old days and I'm sure you can get them off discogs, those HSM 'audiophile' pressings.

• 3 months later...