PO Now: The Dear Hunter - Act V: Hymns With the Devil in Confessional

Saw them in PDX first night of tour. It was amazing! Played a lot from act V and sounded great.

grabbed a tour copy for me and my brother. FYI the label on the outside is a little confusing, but upon opening it is the white/blue split.  Merch guy said it was /100 but the label does say /500... i wonder if there is another variant for Cloud Clear/Mint Color-in-Color and they just applied that label to the tour press copies by accident?:

IMG_0487.jpg

Edited by drummerboy032

14 minutes ago, andrewlucas said:

Wait, how is this pressing already available but the other variants arent? I thought they usually get all variants at the same time.

I saw something that said they would be available around the 26th of September I think.  So they might not be that far behind.  I wish I could remember exactly where I saw it, but I've been immersed in all things TDH, so it's all blurring together.

Just now, andrewlucas said:

I've been going through some very shitty stuff lately so I havent even had a chance to listen to this album. I'll try to get motivation to go to the gym today or tomorrow and listen to it there. What are everyones thoughts so far? Better than act 4? 3?

Okay, so the best way that I was able to describe this album was: Amazing. Not at all what I expected based on the singles, but not in a bad way. The album is pure perfection. It's dark as fuck in some parts, but this might be one of the best albums this band has ever released, and that's so hard for me to say because I love everything they do. 

20 minutes ago, andrewlucas said:

I've been going through some very shitty stuff lately so I havent even had a chance to listen to this album. I'll try to get motivation to go to the gym today or tomorrow and listen to it there. What are everyones thoughts so far? Better than act 4? 3?

Sorry to hear.

I think the best I've heard it described is "on first listen, it's underwhelming because it's so overwhelming."  Honestly, this record really is the culmination of 10 years of albums.  It's fucking huge, it's dark, it's hopeful, it's sad - within the story and in reality because we're at the end of this concept, the instrumentation is the best of any record the band has done.  After multiple listens, I like it better than Act IV, but it's made me like Act IV even more.

When it's all said and done, it will probably end up being the best album in the series.

If anyone can hook a brother up with a tour copy, I'd be forever grateful. The wife and I won't be able to catch them on this leg due to us now having a kid and no babysitter. I'm willing to pay face value + shipping + a premium for your troubles. Just send me a DM if you're down, thanks in advance.

Have listened to this all the way through each day since Friday...loving it alot. 

Updated Album Ranking IMO : 

II > V > IV > I > III

I know Act II doesnt quite flow as perfectly and seamlessly as Acts IV & V, but that album just holds a really special place in my heart. I remember sitting outside my local CD Warehouse on release day waiting for them to open so I could grab my copy

15 minutes ago, ethanpricington said:

Have listened to this all the way through each day since Friday...loving it alot. 

Updated Album Ranking IMO : 

II > V > IV > I > III

I know Act II doesnt quite flow as perfectly and seamlessly as Acts IV & V, but that album just holds a really special place in my heart. I remember sitting outside my local CD Warehouse on release day waiting for them to open so I could grab my copy

I can pretty much agree with this.  Although I might put Act I up higher.  I remember getting that one out of the blue from a friend about a month after it came out.  I was completely hooked.  But, after hearing Act V, I like Act IV a lot more and have been listening to them together.  Prior to Act V, my ranking probably would have been 2 > 1 > 4 > 3.

10 minutes ago, highfives said:

I can pretty much agree with this.  Although I might put Act I up higher.  I remember getting that one out of the blue from a friend about a month after it came out.  I was completely hooked.  But, after hearing Act V, I like Act IV a lot more and have been listening to them together.  Prior to Act V, my ranking probably would have been 2 > 1 > 4 > 3.

That was literally my exact reasoning. Post Act V vs. Pre Act V. Bcuz, like you said, Act IV makes more sense now with its darker companion Act V. And I'm same with Act I. I remember hearing about Casey leaving TREOS after BTHATS album and was disappointed. But then a friend of mine showed me this new band he downloaded on his Zune player (lol) and I was hooked as well. Freaking loved Battesimo Del Fuoco. Still a Top 5 song for me of their discography. And I definitely nerded out a bit when I saw that Act V had the two songs titled with Battesimo's lyrics :  "The Flame (Is Gone)" & "The Fire (Remains)"

1 minute ago, ethanpricington said:

That was literally my exact reasoning. Post Act V vs. Pre Act V. Bcuz, like you said, Act IV makes more sense now with its darker companion Act V. And I'm same with Act I. I remember hearing about Casey leaving TREOS after BTHATS album and was disappointed. But then a friend of mine showed me this new band he downloaded on his Zune player (lol) and I was hooked as well. Freaking loved Battesimo Del Fuoco. Still a Top 5 song for me of their discography. And I definitely nerded out a bit when I saw that Act V had the two songs titled with Battesimo's lyrics :  "The Flame (Is Gone)" & "The Fire (Remains)"

Have you heard the full band version of Battesimo?  Love that one too.  Honestly, I don't know why Act III never really hit with me, because I listen to it and enjoy the songs.  But it just doesn't do what the earlier ones, and now the later ones, do.

1 minute ago, highfives said:

Have you heard the full band version of Battesimo?  Love that one too.  Honestly, I don't know why Act III never really hit with me, because I listen to it and enjoy the songs.  But it just doesn't do what the earlier ones, and now the later ones, do.

Didnt know one existed?? Live only? Idk why I never got into Act III either. Just not the same theatrical emotion in my opinion