Question about a Dark Side of The Moon record.

Recently i came into a big box of records as the person didn't want them and decided to chuck em away so i asked and ended up getting them. In it was a Dark Side of The Moon record and after a bit of research i'm quite sure its an early record, but i am still very new in the record scene and have a lot to learn so thought i'd ask on here about it before selling it for too much/too little. 

Its got SHVL 804 on it, from what i'v seen online the SHVL 804 one is the original 1973 release? All help is very much appreciated.

Thank you, Matt.

Typically anything popular from the 60s-80s will be pretty cheap originals because they cranked em out by the hundreds of thousands, if not millions. Floyd, Zep, all that stuff is pretty cheap unless it's mint condition. A friend of mine recently paid $25 apiece for some original Buffalo Springfield records, but the records looked better than shit I buy new these days. 

The problem with records like Dark Side on discogs is that there are zillion pressings and sellers who don't pay enough attention end up listing them under the wrong one. I bought a NM second press (the first UK press without the solid prism on the labels) a few years back but it took 3 different discogs sales and 2 returns until I actually got that pressing.

This page will give you way more info than you'll ever need on Floyd vinyl:

http://pinkfloydarchives.com/DUKLPPF.htm#DSOTM

And if the labels have the solid prism (first pressing) keep it or sell it to me as I really want one of those!

7 minutes ago, fish said:

The problem with records like Dark Side on discogs is that there are zillion pressings and sellers who don't pay enough attention end up listing them under the wrong one. I bought a NM second press (the first UK press without the solid prism on the labels) a few years back but it took 3 different discogs sales and 2 returns until I actually got that pressing.

This page will give you way more info than you'll ever need on Floyd vinyl:

http://pinkfloydarchives.com/DUKLPPF.htm#DSOTM

And if the labels have the solid prism (first pressing) keep it or sell it to me as I really want one of those!

In this case it isn't a problem because this person is looking for info, not to buy a specific copy of this record. Discogs is an easy first stop for new people and should have the info OP is looking for.

1 minute ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

In this case it isn't a problem because this person is looking for info, not to buy a specific copy of this record. Discogs is an easy first stop for new people and should have the info OP is looking for.

I agree that should always be the first place to look. But I just wouldn't necessarily trust the $ amounts for the sold items on discogs to determine the value of this particular album as i think those pressings are all mixed up by sellers.

1 hour ago, MrTeamTactical said:

Well on there its the first one on the list and the release date is 24th march 1973. Someone hastily offered £20 and i don't know if its a good offer or not.

With the amount of info you have provided nobody here can give you good advice.  Did you see the list on Discogs?  https://www.discogs.com/Pink-Floyd-The-Dark-Side-Of-The-Moon/master/10362?sort=country&sort_order

I'm assuming since somebody offered you £s you are in the UK. There are at least 15 versions from the UK with that catalogue number.  If you wanna do the legwork, open the link to each UK version with that number.  There will be details explaining how that version is different than all the others - colour of the label, information on the jacket, matrix numbers, etc etc.  Figure out which variation you have.  Each variation will have a sales history associated with it.  You can figure out the high and low prices that variation has sold for recently.  You also need to be able to assess the condition - if it's in mint condition, it will be worth many times more than if it is in good condition.  The Discogs page also has a link to help assess the condition.  If you've never done this before, it's going to take some time.  Nobody here can do it for you. 

On the other hand, if you got a box of records for free and somebody is offering £20 for one of them, there's not much risk associated with taking that offer.

As someone else pointed out unless it has a solid blue prism on the labels it's not a first pressing, after that all other UK versions were pressed in the zillions and are not exactly difficult to get hold of, although early 2nd and on presses with all the bits in and in nice condition can make enough for a half decent meal for two and a couple of pints in Weatherspoons 

Also as has been said do the legwork on Discogs and work out which pressing you have and whether you have all the posters, inserts and stickers you are supposed to have with your particular pressing, the correct inner sleeve and the condition of everything, once you have all that worked out you can pinpoint the value pretty easily and work out if you should have actually taken the £20 or not.

21 hours ago, fish said:

I agree that should always be the first place to look. But I just wouldn't necessarily trust the $ amounts for the sold items on discogs to determine the value of this particular album as i think those pressings are all mixed up by sellers.

I'm not sure why that should affect the prices, if the buyers were paying for what they thought were the correct items.  What they actually receive doesn't really matter...?

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I'm not sure why that should affect the prices, if the buyers were paying for what they thought were the correct items.  What they actually receive doesn't really matter...?

Agreed, its not hard to work out from the info in peoples sales listings and the selling and sold prices, unless of course you have a £20 record you are under the misimpression should be worth a lot more

You're right. Although a lot of people post obvious incorrect items as well (ie they will note the matrix which is completely different than the item it is listed as). So at minimum look at the sold item details and descriptions and not just the high/low/median prices on the main page. Then you could tell which is which. I don't see this as an issue for lps that have a few pressings, but for ones like this that have hundreds it can probably be a pain for sellers to even find the right one.