PO NOW: Kings of Leon - We Are Like Love Songs

8 minutes ago, hxcoliver said:

Exactly how I felt about the band. I had absolutely no hope for them after briefly hearing a song off Sundown. Then randomly heard Supersoaker at a store and sounded pretty rad. I've listened to the album maybe twice but thought it was pretty cool. Should listen to it again 

I've been listening to it obsessively for the last four months or so. I can't put it down. 

On Friday, September 09, 2016 at 6:40 AM, Dave Grohl said:

5 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

I've been listening to it obsessively for the last four months or so. I can't put it down. 

That good? I really need to give it more listens and spend some time with it. Everytime I tell someone that I still listen and like Kings of Leon, I find myself explaining that only up to third album. Don't listen to anything after that. Half the time people don't even know about the first two unless they were early fans. 

22 minutes ago, hxcoliver said:

Oh for sure. It definitely evolves over time. I think it's great because the album as a whole stays at a peak. It doesn't drop off for me at all. It's a really emotional album. You should watch the Talahina Sky documentary and I think that'll give you more back story while listening to MB. It'll probably have you appreciate the subject matter more. I think really highly of it when comparing to other KoL albums because it's different. I really like how the strings and horns bring out everything. 

Yeah, and if Kings of Leon comes up I have to go into a pretty decent explanation of why they're good cause most people are only familiar with Sex On Fire sadly. 

Also, if you don't have the first three albums on vinyl, you can get the box set cheap on eBay. I got mine for $16. I think they're around $25 now. Some of the best sounding records I own. MOV killed it. 

Edited by Dave Grohl

I did an excel sheet ranking each song out of 10 and then averaged the numbers per album. I did it at work. 

OBTN

MB // CAS tie

BOTT

ASH

YAYM

OBTN: holds their greatest single songs in my opinion, not a perfect over all album feel

MB: Coming Back Again is perfect, Temple, Supersoaker. I'm surprised I ranked this one so high, but it had a good lasting album feel. 

CAS: Immortals, Radioactive, Pyro. Might be my favorite album as a whole. The summery beach feel. 

BOTT: On Call, Fans, Knocked Up

ASH: Bucket, Taper Jean, Razz

YAYM: California Waiting, Red Morning Light, Molly's Chambers

44 minutes ago, [Banned User] said:

I did an excel sheet ranking each song out of 10 and then averaged the numbers per album. I did it at work. 

OBTN

MB // CAS tie

BOTT

ASH

YAYM

OBTN: holds their greatest single songs in my opinion, not a perfect over all album feel

MB: Coming Back Again is perfect, Temple, Supersoaker. I'm surprised I ranked this one so high, but it had a good lasting album feel. 

CAS: Immortals, Radioactive, Pyro. Might be my favorite album as a whole. The summery beach feel. 

BOTT: On Call, Fans, Knocked Up

ASH: Bucket, Taper Jean, Razz

YAYM: California Waiting, Red Morning Light, Molly's Chambers

I find it funny when people love OBTN so much, especially when KoL don't like that album, and actually hate 'Sex on Fire'. Haha. But music is personal so there's that. I just think that album was commercial garbage. To me it's them catering to major labels, not being themselves, and pandering to radio jams. Makes sense when Caleb was drunk the whole time. Haha. I think the hate I have for that album just makes me appreciate MB even more though. So I'm ok with it. Maybe MB wouldn't be what it is if it wasn't for OBTN. I'm more surprised YAYM is last though. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I feel like the younger fans didn't start with KoL chronologically so they tend to not be into their earlier stuff as much. Maybe cause it's more 'southern'. Your list is almost the exact opposite of mine. Haha. 

For anyone who doesn't have the first three albums:
CDImports | Kings of Leon | 7xLP | The Early Years | MOV | $19.99PPD

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kings-Of-Leon-Early-Albums-Box-Vinyl-New/361722347989?_trksid=p2047675.c100012.m1985&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D38804%26meid%3Dfd19e8cdf1ac407b845d1f3d5284c0fb%26pid%3D100012%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D18%26sd%3D142089307208

I got mine from them and it came in perfect condition. MOV did an amazing job on it. Every album sounds flawless. Definitely worth grabbing, especially at that price.

9 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

Oh for sure. It definitely evolves over time. I think it's great because the album as a whole stays at a peak. It doesn't drop off for me at all. It's a really emotional album. You should watch the Talahina Sky documentary and I think that'll give you more back story while listening to MB. It'll probably have you appreciate the subject matter more. I think really highly of it when comparing to other KoL albums because it's different. I really like how the strings and horns bring out everything. 

I think that documentary followed them right after CAS came out no? Or do you just mean the history of the band and not the album? Either way, I agree that it was a really good movie. Also with OBTN, with people liking it while they may not that happens pretty often, Radiohead and Creep/Pablo Honey as a whole, Coldplay and Parachutes. They play a lot from that album on tour still so that actually kind of surprises me. Just curious, do you happen to have a source on them saying they dislike that album? Never knew that!

It's not surprising that their most successful stuff commercially is also the most hated/debated about. I think it's ignorant to say they wrote OBTN to "sell out". Anyone listening to their discography can clearly hear the progression of the super raw , in the beggining, to more tightly constructed songs. Having a preference is fine, but I draw the line when people start ignorantly bashing something for being successful. 

2 hours ago, KingTacoMunster said:

Who said they hate it because it's successful?

Haha I find it funny considering in the documentary they showed how they were forced to make a successful radio hit album, were under pressure from the label, pretty much drunk the entire time and fighting, and didn't like what they were recording. And they have said that they hate 'Sex On Fire' especially because the subject matter is fucking stupid. Haha. I didn't give two fucks if it's commercially successful. Actually, I'm all for their success cause I want more music. I just hope it's with good music they write because it's what THEY want to make. I gave a fuck that it was just a garbage album. It oddly didn't make me think less of them though. I just stuck with their first three. I didn't let OBTN ruin the stuff I liked. I hope Walls is a huge success cause they deserve it and are writing it in a great mindset. I'm really stoked to hear what they come up with as a family, rather than just a business. They said they're excited to put out an album that is coming from that mindset, that it'll be really dialed in. I can't get enough of the single. 

Edited by Dave Grohl

11 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

I find it funny when people love OBTN so much, especially when KoL don't like that album, and actually hate 'Sex on Fire'. Haha. But music is personal so there's that. I just think that album was commercial garbage. To me it's them catering to major labels, not being themselves, and pandering to radio jams. Makes sense when Caleb was drunk the whole time. Haha. I think the hate I have for that album just makes me appreciate MB even more though. So I'm ok with it. Maybe MB wouldn't be what it is if it wasn't for OBTN. I'm more surprised YAYM is last though. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I feel like the younger fans didn't start with KoL chronologically so they tend to not be into their earlier stuff as much. Maybe cause it's more 'southern'. Your list is almost the exact opposite of mine. Haha. 

I'm 26. Didn't get into them until CAS, aside from the singles. I don't like Sex on Fire. The other songs on the album are so great. Closer is amazing. Crawl is raw. 

I like the new single. I'm a bit older so I definitely prefer their older material but I haven't disliked any of their albums, some of the newer albums haven't really resonated with me as much. I still get excited to hear new music from them every time though. I remember going with my dad to a show at a dive bar in OKC and meeting their grandfather. Met the band themselves at the next show in KC. Nice guys and I hope they keep making whatever music they want on their own terms.

1 hour ago, [Banned User] said:

I'm 26. Didn't get into them until CAS, aside from the singles. I don't like Sex on Fire. The other songs on the album are so great. Closer is amazing. Crawl is raw. 

Very interesting. I think the order of people's albums plays out depending on what album of theirs was the current one.

57 minutes ago, Mathyou99 said:

I like the new single. I'm a bit older so I definitely prefer their older material but I haven't disliked any of their albums, some of the newer albums haven't really resonated with me as much. I still get excited to hear new music from them every time though. I remember going with my dad to a show at a dive bar in OKC and meeting their grandfather. Met the band themselves at the next show in KC. Nice guys and I hope they keep making whatever music they want on their own terms.

I'm jealous. I've never gotten to see them at a small venue. I think that would be a really intimate and great show.

Also, here is the recent article about their comeback, and rebuilding their sound:

http://www.nme.com/features/return-of-the-kings-how-kings-of-leon-rebuilt-their-lives-and-their-sound

21 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

Yeah, and if Kings of Leon comes up I have to go into a pretty decent explanation of why they're good cause most people are only familiar with Sex On Fire sadly. 

Also, if you don't have the first three albums on vinyl, you can get the box set cheap on eBay. I got mine for $16. I think they're around $25 now. Some of the best sounding records I own. MOV killed it. 

listening to it as i type this. i'm digging it. liking the sound over the garbage that was the previous 2 albums. i should keep listening to this more often.  

haha but yeah i feel the same way, a lot of people only really know Sex on Fire, which is why i have to explain myself. and i'm 27, got into them when Aha came out, so i hold that album as my favorite of theirs. and also heard Manhood around the same time. and really liked them. it was a good turning point in my life as far as music preferences. i went from "hard rock" like Godsmack, Disturbed, Manson, Korn etc. to i guess "alternative" or whatnot like strokes, kings of leon, death from above, yeah yeah yeahs, all that good shit.

and yeah i have that box set. so damn good, you're right, the vinyl sounds fucking incredible. i remember when they first came out they were $100 and i waited a few years and got one for like $40. can't believe they're as cheap as they are right now considering it's a great quality 7 disc boxset.

12 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

For anyone who doesn't have the first three albums:
CDImports | Kings of Leon | 7xLP | The Early Years | MOV | $19.99PPD

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kings-Of-Leon-Early-Albums-Box-Vinyl-New/361722347989?_trksid=p2047675.c100012.m1985&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D38804%26meid%3Dfd19e8cdf1ac407b845d1f3d5284c0fb%26pid%3D100012%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D18%26sd%3D142089307208

I got mine from them and it came in perfect condition. MOV did an amazing job on it. Every album sounds flawless. Definitely worth grabbing, especially at that price.

I missed it when it was $9.99 :(.

10 hours ago, Thomas³ said:

I missed it when it was $9.99 :(.

42 minutes ago, KingTacoMunster said:

Still totally worth it at 19.99 T3!

For real. It's easily worth 3x that. I'm telling you man, the sound quality is amazing. C'mon. $20ppd for 3 studio albums and a bonus LP. That's a steal.