Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
aviolentworld

Beard care

Recommended Posts

Hey guys so I usually have a beard and just recently got a sample of oil, balm and wash.  I gotta say I'm not sure why I haven't been doing this all along.   My beard looks the best it's ever been and doesn't itch at all.  

 

Falling down the rabbit hole of YouTube beard videos I'm interested in hearing what gear you guys recommend. 

 

Looking for Comb and brush recommendations.  Also what balms and oils do you guys use?

 

Also if you guys have any diy balm let me see em.  I'm interested in doing a coconut oil with an essential oil blend.  Seems easy and very cost effective

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do enjoy Grave before shave’s products. The beard wash smells super great and the oils are nice. As far as brushes, I like a bamboo brush and grave before shave sell them also

Edited by KingTacoMunster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, aviolentworld said:

Hey guys so I usually have a beard and just recently got a sample of oil, balm and wash.  I gotta say I'm not sure why I haven't been doing this all along.   My beard looks the best it's ever been and doesn't itch at all.  

 

Falling down the rabbit hole of YouTube beard videos I'm interested in hearing what gear you guys recommend. 

 

Looking for Comb and brush recommendations.  Also what balms and oils do you guys use?

 

Also if you guys have any diy balm let me see em.  I'm interested in doing a coconut oil with an essential oil blend.  Seems easy and very cost effective

My girlfriend made me a diy that worked great.  Don't put too much stock into fancy or expensive names. Its all the same shit. 

 

She used jojoba oil, almond oil and a few choice essential oils. 

 

I remember her saying it wasn't super cheap but she uses essential oils for other things so those she had around.  

 

Im not sure about cocunut oil but im sure its fine. Just trying it on its own to see how you like it first. In a pinch ive put olive oil in my beard so honestly whatever you like will work. 

 

I have a balm as well but i bought it at a local market so dont know much about it. Balms are nice because you get a bit of sculpting with it. 

 

WITH that all said I have been using Queen Bee from Lush, its not specifically for beards but i think it works amazing, it melts in your hand really well so its a good medium between oil and balm, plus I love the smell, here is the link

https://www.lush.ca/en/hair/styling/queen-bee/05939.html

 

Happy bearding! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wash it every other day with Jack Black’s (no not the actor) all-over body wash: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HP5G70/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_CzIvCbK93V6VD

 

On the days I don’t wash it, I use Texas Beard Company’s oil after my shower: https://www.texasbeardcompany.com/all-products?adgroupID=23513340423&campaignID=337473183&gclid=Cj0KCQiAnNXiBRCoARIsAJe_1cq_gBQNkX8_Fegk-7V4D4pXU9r_iIweseaINEQgkJTdJZ4Hrbjy_M8aAswaEALw_wcB&keyword=texas beard company&matchtype=e

 

Then I comb the oil through with a ZilberHaar boar hair brush: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q5JHGVQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_9BIvCbFPHMFW8

Edited by Rip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DafTyler said:

My girlfriend made me a diy that worked great.  Don't put too much stock into fancy or expensive names. Its all the same shit. 

 

She used jojoba oil, almond oil and a few choice essential oils. 

 

I remember her saying it wasn't super cheap but she uses essential oils for other things so those she had around.  

 

Im not sure about cocunut oil but im sure its fine. Just trying it on its own to see how you like it first. In a pinch ive put olive oil in my beard so honestly whatever you like will work. 

 

I have a balm as well but i bought it at a local market so dont know much about it. Balms are nice because you get a bit of sculpting with it. 

 

WITH that all said I have been using Queen Bee from Lush, its not specifically for beards but i think it works amazing, it melts in your hand really well so its a good medium between oil and balm, plus I love the smell, here is the link

https://www.lush.ca/en/hair/styling/queen-bee/05939.html

 

Happy bearding! 

thanks for the info.  I'm hoping to get a couple carrier oils and maybe like up to 3 essential oils and mess around a bit.  The initial purchase might be high, but I think i read that if you buy in bulk you can potential make about 1 oz per dollar you spend.  That sounds like a great investment to me. 

 

Do you blow dry the beard at all?  I watched one video and the guys was all about using the hot and cool setting on the hair dryer.  I don't have a huge beard, maybe 2 inches, so it dries pretty quickly.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rip said:

great will check out those links thanks.  do you have any issues with the bristles falling out on the boar hair brush?  I was looking at some on amazon and a lot of the reviews say that they were falling out after the first use. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, aviolentworld said:

great will check out those links thanks.  do you have any issues with the bristles falling out on the boar hair brush?  I was looking at some on amazon and a lot of the reviews say that they were falling out after the first use. 

 

Not at all.  I believe the one I have (and linked to) is one of the best ones there is.  All the reviews seem to be pretty good as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been getting into bad ass beard care's products recently. I love their scents. So far I have the Thanksgiving, & Christmas holiday scents, and also the Mountain Man. 

https://badassbeardcare.com

use this referral code for a free sample.  MANISHP42110 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been using Bearded Sailor balm for a couple of months now. I like it pretty well, it has a decent musky smell to it.  Previously I was rocking Berney's Original, but I'm not sure if that company is still active. I liked Berney's a ton, but I travel a lot for work and I think the altitude would clump it up, however I am no scientist and I cannot prove that.

 

I have some Cremo beard oil right now, that I'm trying to burn through because I'm not a huge fan. I picked it up in a pinch at the local grocery store.

 

I have always been a fan of Grave Before Shave as well. There are a ton of recommendations in this thread that I'm pretty excited to check out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2019 at 4:11 PM, roadmonkey said:

I've been getting into bad ass beard care's products recently. I love their scents. So far I have the Thanksgiving, & Christmas holiday scents, and also the Mountain Man. 

https://badassbeardcare.com

use this referral code for a free sample.  MANISHP42110 

I actually got a free sample from them and that's why I started this thread.   I have never used any product in my beard so I figure I would try it out.  My wife didn't like the biker blend I got because it had patchouli in it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hell yeah.. 

59 minutes ago, aviolentworld said:

I actually got a free sample from them and that's why I started this thread.   I have never used any product in my beard so I figure I would try it out.  My wife didn't like the biker blend I got because it had patchouli in it.  

Sweet, My wife has loved all the scents I've gotten from them so far, even the holiday themed ones, She's also not a big fan of Patchouli and neither am I tbh.  The part I like best about these guys is that the smell lasts all day, unlike other brands I've tried where the scent lasts about a couple hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for Vinyl Collective. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×