Discogs Charging US Sales Tax, Beginning July 1st

6 hours ago, Shelby said:

Y'all sound like you still raise your hand to speak. Just keep selling and lie duh.

Seriously, I've had to start selling off, d/t health issues with my wife. Couple years back I hit 10k on ebay between records and my wife reselling makeup and got a 1099. Just didn't claim it, if they came calling was going to say it is a hobby and let the chips fall.

13 hours ago, burnthealbum said:

What really irked me was PayPal sent an email saying they were going to hold my funds because of increased activity. It wasn't an issue to increase the threshold but still worrisome.

I'm in the process of restoring an old VW, this has happened to me a few times buying parts from private sellers in the last year. Such a pain in the ass. 

On 12/2/2023 at 11:17 PM, faaip de oiad said:

At the moment I can't trim the fat, not selling til next year. I reached about $1000 this summer and stopped coz of that stoopid law. This sucks coz I like to upgrade my old stuff with better copies, pressings or colors.

I do that a lot...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Did you read the article? The threshold has been eliminated for 2023.

21 hours ago, Shelby said:

Y'all sound like you still raise your hand to speak. Just keep selling and lie duh.

You can also fill out the appropriate form to offset the 1099. You cant claim a loss but you can claim a net of 0 to offset the 1099

On 12/2/2023 at 9:41 AM, robotfactory said:

So what do you use or plan to use?

I've been selling to my local shop a lot more for store credit. Since I was primarily using Discogs money to just buy more records anyways, i figure, why not help my shop out and get some moolah in the process. They're also really reasonable with they're offers mostly, so I'm good with it.