Sibling Musical Taste

Since I have graduated from college, I'm back at my parent's for the time being and have given my two younger brothers access to my computer for music and gaming purposes. Today, my youngest brother who is fifteen told me that Torche is amazing. This is coming from a kid that is in a barbershop group at school and loves Coheed and Cambria and Saosin. Are your brothers or sisters into the same music as you?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 22 year old brother is really into Chuck Ragan, Gaslight, Alkaline Trio. I've been going with him to a lot of 21+ up shows. Pretty fun. My youngest brother who's only a sophomore in high school is more into the lipstick/eyeliner crud, although he'll listen to anything. I don't think he cares.

My 27 year old sister who's married now with 3 kids still listens to the same stuff she did when she lived at home. Mostly Saves the Day, Unwritten Law and the Dixie Chicks.

my brother copies whatever i listen too. it's fucking annoying. he doesn't know when to stop playing the same thing over and over again. thanks to him, i'm officially sick of DKM, WIFS, Against Me!, and getting there on Defiance and Gaslight.

your brother listens to defiance? tell him to get better taste in thrash bands.

also, my 15 year old brother listens to coheed, circa survive, four year strong, the movielife, i am the avalanche, the get up kids, and the hippos

Guest genericinsight

Not at all. My brother is 22 and his musical taste extends to rap and classic rock. Though we do agree on some of the classic rock stuff, we don't listen to anything else similar. I always ask him to check out some of the bands I like or come to shows with me and he won't even give it the time of day. Eh, can't win 'em all.

my brother (who is my identical twin, for the record) used to be into hootie and the blowfish. i gave him some shit and he really developed his own taste quite nicely. he's stoically pitchfork-indie (black keys, iron and wine, my morning jacket, that sort of thing. but he also knew who the postal service was before anyone else did. like at least a year before people started to catch on.

my sister was totally my influence. "kerplunk"-era green day, weezer's first album, early offspring, lemonheads, nirvana...she was there just when i was catching on to music.

my brother copies whatever i listen too. it's fucking annoying. he doesn't know when to stop playing the same thing over and over again. thanks to him, i'm officially sick of DKM, WIFS, Against Me!, and getting there on Defiance and Gaslight.

your brother listens to defiance? tell him to get better taste in thrash bands.

also, my 15 year old brother listens to coheed, circa survive, four year strong, the movielife, i am the avalanche, the get up kids, and the hippos

dude are the hippos even still a band? i loved them in high school...wow...well as much as a straight guy can love a ska band..which to be honest..aint very much.

my older sister, who is 22, has a weird taste in music. she REALLY likes the manic street preachers, and was real into pink floyd. other bands she likes are the doors, placebo, oingo boingo, fall out boy, uh...and lots of radio shit. she likes nu-metal too, and it's funny.

the only band i think we agree on that we both discovered independently is pulp. and now you can make fun of me for liking pulp.

My oldest brother (14 going on 15) listens to punk and ska like I do and goes to shows with me

My brother is 15 and I took him to Less Than Jake the other night which he fucking loved. We were right at the front which I thought he would hate, since I kinda dragged him there since I had an extra ticket. At one point I was singing along and looked to my left and saw that he was too. I could have cried and almost did. He knew a majority of the songs, and I had no idea that he really liked them. I felt proud that he liked my music, and wasn't annoyed at all that he liked the same stuff. Who else is gonna teach him about all kinds of music regardless if he likes it or not? I realized that we always swap CDs, and that I always let him raid my collection, but that I never really thought about him being into it. You could say that it's lame that he likes ska and other shit I like, but I don't care because it was awesome. The kid also loves the Beatles, James Brown, The Doors, Bob Dylan and a whole shitload of other stuff that spans the musical spectrum not unlike myself. I get stoked when my brother is into the same things I am into, I feel like we can bond over that stuff. Now I can start taking him to shows with me and I can contribute more crazy memory creating situations. That's not to say he doesn't like things that I am not into, but I think that it is cool that he gives everything a chance and isn't staunchly against listening to anything. The new found musical link makes me feel like I have a new friend in my brother, despite the 8 year age gap. I love that kid.