From the Bottom 179 of 200

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious to see if the book thing works - I've got a few warped records I'd like to flatten out as well (though none of them are as warped as the OWTH).

Yeah definitely post what you do. It would be good to have a first hand account of a whether it is successful or leaves the record damaged.

We are kinda freaked out by this. We have heard of three copies that had similar things happen. All three by people we are either in kahoots with or know who are. Weird. These are the same mailers we use all day, every day. I am left to think that maybe something happened at the same point in their journey. Like in a hub in California? I am particularly bummed because we have no back up copies. Ordinarily, I'd say "send them on back" and we would replace them. Not even an option this time.

So... if anyone wants to return one, please do. We will give you a credit. Not a perfect solution, but... I extend the offer.

-- Judging from the photos I've seen, we could have packed these in triple-layered cardboard and they would still be crushed. Freaking bummed!

Yea there was no problem with how it was packaged. I get packages from No Idea all the time packaged exactly the same way and its always fine. The USPS seriously fucked up these packages. My box has a huge crease going all the way across the middle of it.

I just bought a 1st press gray copy from Virgil to replace mine that was bent. Ill keep the tour press just to have it cause I really like the cover. Ill probably just return my warped regular press on gray for store credit then. Thanks for the offer Var.

We are kinda freaked out by this. We have heard of three copies that had similar things happen. All three by people we are either in kahoots with or know who are. Weird. These are the same mailers we use all day, every day. I am left to think that maybe something happened at the same point in their journey. Like in a hub in California? I am particularly bummed because we have no back up copies. Ordinarily, I'd say "send them on back" and we would replace them. Not even an option this time.

So... if anyone wants to return one, please do. We will give you a credit. Not a perfect solution, but... I extend the offer.

-- Judging from the photos I've seen, we could have packed these in triple-layered cardboard and they would still be crushed. Freaking bummed!

If you have a copy of Scattered Sentences on white I'd consider it!!!

Find a record store that has a record flattener. There's one in a stones throw reach from where I live, so i gave it a try with one of my warped records. Worked like a charm.

http://www.audiorevelation.com/cre/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=44

unreal. if that thing really works, i'd be into buying one. i bet they are expensive though.

Find a record store that has a record flattener. There's one in a stones throw reach from where I live, so i gave it a try with one of my warped records. Worked like a charm.

unreal. if that thing really works, i'd be into buying one. i bet they are expensive though.

but when the record is warped that much are the grooves ruined so even if you got it back to being flat wouldnt it sound like garbage? but what do i know.

They work and yeah, they're expensive. About $2,000.

I don't think it's temperature exclusive. the boxes themselves were physically bent.

The temp could have something to do with it though. Leaving records in a hot truck with other things piled...pressure bends the mailer, which bends the record, which has been softened up by the heat. I don't think the heat alone is doing it, but when all of those factors come together I bet the heat plays a role in it.

I don't think it's temperature exclusive. the boxes themselves were physically bent.

The temp could have something to do with it though. Leaving records in a hot truck with other things piled...pressure bends the mailer, which bends the record, which has been softened up by the heat. I don't think the heat alone is doing it, but when all of those factors come together I bet the heat plays a role in it.

Yeah.

It would have to be excessive force to actually bend a record without it going back to normal. When heat is added, it's a whole lot easier to actually bend it out of shape.

I wish more Inuits collected vinyl.

^^ I think it really may come down to the office you're shipping from and the delivery person. The few times I have shipped out records, even though I sent everything Priority, they still handle it haphazardly.

And out mailman used to pretty much toss my packages unto my doorstep as if they were newspaper or a frisbee. Lately though, he has been more careful and putting them on the bench we have on the porch. (I think this new approach he has taken is largely due to my father helping him out a few weeks ago when his truck got our neighbor's garbage can stuck under it. My father happened to be working out in the garage and saw this and went out to help him get it the can out).