MLB Discussion

Was not expecting that trade....not sure what to think about it yet....

On the other side of the coin I'm blown away. I don't know what to think either. Obviously the Braves have a longer potential upside with Miller vs Heyward who is a free agent in 2016 but still. Heyward was kind of the guy who could do no wrong for Atlanta fans.

Also I know nothing about Jenkins, are you familiar with him Ben?

No Jenkins wasn't on my radar at all.  Wasn't one of the prospects that got much press.  While I hate to see Miller go, we kind of did have a few too many starting pitchers, so glad we got a decent player for him.  I was hoping Grichuck would step up for RF after our loss of Tavares, but Heyward sounds like a much more stable guy at the position.

I think the braves get the better end. Heyward has been a disappointment at the plate. He may still put it all together for STL, but that is looking less and less likely with him. The  Braves got a team controlled young pitcher who has proven to be as good as they thought, going to a team that breeds amazing pitchers.

I think the braves get the better end. Heyward has been a disappointment at the plate. He may still put it all together for STL, but that is looking less and less likely with him. The  Braves got a team controlled young pitcher who has proven to be as good as they thought, going to a team that breeds amazing pitchers.

Agreed. He's minus in power, minus to neutral in AVG/OBP (depends on how much emphasis you but on OBP over AVG), and minus to neutral in speed.

Unless Heyward takes the next step, I'd rather have Miller's production and contract.

that feels like a jerk-reaction trade to fill the loss of Tavares than anything else.  Steep price to pay for potentially 1 year of Heyward.  oh wait, who am I kidding, Heyward will become a HOF RF now that he's in St. Louis, thats just the Cardinals Way™ of doing things!

Agreed. He's minus in power, minus to neutral in AVG/OBP (depends on how much emphasis you but on OBP over AVG), and minus to neutral in speed.

Unless Heyward takes the next step, I'd rather have Miller's production and contract.

I've also read arguments that his batting metrics are trending towards a breakout year so, it's hard to know what to believe. I'm sure he will benefit at least slightly from batting middle of the order for a full season.

Sounds like Cespedes, Craig, Holt, Victorino, Nava, Bradley Jr. And Middlebrooks are all trade options to get pitching.

It would be a shame to see Holt dealt. He was pretty much the only bright spot of the 14 season

When you look at the landscape of baseball in the last few years its amazing to think there are still teams that operate with the mindset of spending 400 million in one free agent class.

Because they saw the Yanks do it and win a championship in the first year. If only they paid attention to how much we are struggling now.

Because they saw the Yanks do it and win a championship in the first year. If only they paid attention to how much we are struggling now.

It just really confuses me when you're a team with decent minor league talent that has won the WS twice in the last decade. What's the urgency? Are Boston fans going to stop paying $300 for standing room only tickets against the Astros on a Tuesday? No.