MLB Discussion

funny that you say that, when trout is having his worst year by far in respect to plate discipline

And still better than Springer in those areas. 1) Trout said at the beginning of the year that he was going to be more aggressive in the count and see how it goes. I'm not saying Springer is bad by any means, but scouts and experts have all said that patience and discipline is Springer's hole. Springer is only 9 K's behind Trout despite playing in half as many games. Trout is the exception to prospects and to expect or compare anyone else to him is just crazy.

yeah, i was also kidding around. trout is unquestionably better than springer. i just know people are whining about trout's plate discipline right now because he's only hitting .300 and not .320.

for all the hype about springer's almost-40-40, though, i just want to see the dude swipe some more bags and show off his speed!

number one reason i'm happy ellsbury is gone: going to a red sox game no longer involves being subject to kevin rudolf's let it rock 4 times over.

Heyward has produced 40 runs at the plate this year. Puig has produced 72. Almost doubled him up.

Heyward is a better outfielder but Puig is easily a better overall player.

I agree that Puig is the superior offensive weapon but Mattingly was referring only to Puig's defense. It helps that Puig also carries a 100 point higher BABIP than Heyward although that still wouldn't span the gap in production. Heyward's average has ballooned in the past few weeks though, so I have hope he can find his way to a respectable >.270 average by the end of the month.

I agree that Puig is the superior offensive weapon but Mattingly was referring only to Puig's defense. It helps that Puig also carries a 100 point higher BABIP than Heyward although that still wouldn't span the gap in production. Heyward's average has ballooned in the past few weeks though, so I have hope he can find his way to a respectable >.270 average by the end of the month.

Yeah, I was responding to your comment, which considered both hitting and fielding.

You kinda abuse the babip stat. It's a much better arts for comparing a single player across multiple years than a comparison of two in the same. Yes, puig's babip is much higher than Heyward's. That doesn't necessarily imply luck. Better hitters are naturally going to have higher babip numbers than lesser ones.