MLB Discussion

bobby cox just said that Pujols is worth $50 mil a year. whelp, good luck signing other players, St. Louis.

to be fair, though, right before he said that, he shit his pants and asked "when's glavine's next time up in the rotation again?" so you can take what he says with a grain of salt...

bobby cox just said that Pujols is worth $50 mil a year. whelp, good luck signing other players, St. Louis.

To be fair, he said Pujols is "twice as good" as anyone else in MLB. Hence the $50MM number.

true, but all it does is frame the contract negotiations in a way to make it increasingly difficult for the cards to keep him. do you think he's worth $30+ mil a year? on a team whose payroll is in the 90's? 1/3rd of your payroll in one player?

To be fair, he said Pujols is "twice as good" as anyone else in MLB. Hence the $50MM number.

true, but all it does is frame the contract negotiations in a way to make it increasingly difficult for the cards to keep him. do you think he's worth $30+ mil a year? on a team whose payroll is in the 90's? 1/3rd of your payroll in one player?

Is he worth $30MM/yr? Sure. He's the best offensive player in the game and he plays GG-caliber defense. (And if you tend to put stock in converting WAR into dollars, than Pujols was worth around $38.8MM last year and $41.7MM the year before. )

Would I want the Cards to tie up a huge portion of their payroll to keep him? It depends. I wouldn't want them to completely mortgage the future to do so, but I don't think they'd have to.

He's already making $16MM/yr, so an extra $14MM puts the team at about $108MM, which is doable in STL (especially in a weak division with an above-average chance at playoff revenue every year). Plus I'm sure the club will get him to defer a chunk of that annual salary (a la Holliday), which gives the team added flexibility.

I say he stays in STL (and I hope to god he does). Ownership would be stupid not to keep him, especially after what they paid a FA (Holliday) this past offseason.

Dont look now, the Sox are @ .500

fml

Angels are only a game above .500

Im sure at the end both teams will be well above .500 tho.

Going to be very tough for the Sox to make into the playoffs this year tho. Rays are lookin' good!

I liked the AL East when the Rays were a lock minus Kazmir. But honestly, I like the competition now in the AL East. Yanks and Sox every year by a landslide was getting kinda old. Makes watching the later games that much more enjoyable.

Travis, you know its Sox/Angels, why are we even thinking otherwise.

Angels are only a game above .500

Im sure at the end both teams will be well above .500 tho.

Going to be very tough for the Sox to make into the playoffs this year tho. Rays are lookin' good!

I liked the AL East when the Rays were a lock minus Kazmir. But honestly, I like the competition now in the AL East. Yanks and Sox every year by a landslide was getting kinda old. Makes watching the later games that much more enjoyable.

Travis, you know its Sox/Angels, why are we even thinking otherwise.

haha Id love that. I wanna see the Angels beat Lackey in the playoffs sooooo badly!

raise the jolly rodger!

dodgers seem to be in disarray... hopefully that can continue tomorrow and Charlie can not suck for once.

We fucking suck. Add in our idiot GM bitching about the best player on the team, Matt Kemp, and you've got a great situation in Dodgertown. All of Colleti's moves are really looking stupid now. Not to mention the more I watch Torre "manage" the less impressed I am with him.

Trade a young, plus-plus hitting catcher for an aging third baseman? Yes!

Play Jamie Carrol, Reed Johnson, and Garret Anderson over Xavier Paul? Yes!

Use Padilla as a fifth starter over McDonald? Yes!

Allow your manager to pitch the same dude 15 times in 22 games? Yes!

Let one of your best starters, a guy from LA, go away in Free Agency? Yes!

Oh and list goes on and on and on. However, if they managed to use Manny's money to bring in Carl Crawford for the next ten years I could turn a blind eye to this catastrophic season.

Trade a young, plus-plus hitting catcher for an aging third baseman? Yes!

Are you talking about Casey Blake? Cause he has been great as a Dodger and that Santana kid isn't even in the majors.

When they traded Santana these were his stats:

Class A Inland Empire 323 (113-for-350), 88 runs, 34 doubles, 4 triples, 14 homers, 96 RBI, 69 walks, 59 strikeouts;

Class A Kinston .352 (37-for-105), 37 runs, 5 doubles, 1 triple, 6 homers, 19 RBI, 20 walks, 24 strikeouts;

Class AA Akron .125 (1-for-8), 1 homer, 2 RBI, 2 strikeouts.

Now this year:

The MVP in the California and Eastern Leagues in 2008 and 2009, respectively, Santana has built his reputation as a can’t-miss prospect upon his bat, with a .309 batting mark and an average of 22 home runs and 107 RBIs per year in that span. The switch hitter walked more than he struck out in the last two seasons.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/fantasy-sports-blog/fantasy-baseball-carlos-santana-cleveland-indians/2010/04/13#ixzz0mboQrPwB

Not to mention they gave up Meloan in that deal who's now pitching in Oakland and has struckout 11 guys in 8.1 innings pitched while walking only 2.

Are you talking about Casey Blake? Cause he has been great as a Dodger and that Santana kid isn't even in the majors.

When they traded Santana these were his stats:

Class A Inland Empire 323 (113-for-350), 88 runs, 34 doubles, 4 triples, 14 homers, 96 RBI, 69 walks, 59 strikeouts;

Class A Kinston .352 (37-for-105), 37 runs, 5 doubles, 1 triple, 6 homers, 19 RBI, 20 walks, 24 strikeouts;

Class AA Akron .125 (1-for-8), 1 homer, 2 RBI, 2 strikeouts.

Now this year:

The MVP in the California and Eastern Leagues in 2008 and 2009, respectively, Santana has built his reputation as a can’t-miss prospect upon his bat, with a .309 batting mark and an average of 22 home runs and 107 RBIs per year in that span. The switch hitter walked more than he struck out in the last two seasons.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/fantasy-sports-blog/fantasy-baseball-carlos-santana-cleveland-indians/2010/04/13#ixzz0mboQrPwB

Not to mention they gave up Meloan in that deal who's now pitching in Oakland and has struckout 11 guys in 8.1 innings pitched while walking only 2.

Well I guess then you have to decide who you like better, Russel Martin or this kid. I also don't like the term "can't miss prospect". Mark Prior was a can't miss prospect.

Well I guess then you have to decide who you like better, Russel Martin or this kid. I also don't like the term "can't miss prospect". Mark Prior was a can't miss prospect.

Okay, so I didn't explain myself fully. Martin actually can and did play third base for so time before the Dodgers got Casey Blake. Martin has speed like Biggio did when he was catching and should move positions anyway. Wouldn't it be better in the long run to keep this kid, move Martin, and not trade away Meloan? Me thinks so.

And I think you could have made the same decision then because while the bullpen has been nails for the past few years, the starters haven't been WS caliber. Meaning, likely the Dodgers weren't winning the Series anyway so why give the kid away to get one and half good years of Casey Blake? That's the type of decision a good GM gets right more often than not.

And if you're winning now, why the hell don't you deal Bills for Doc?