MLB Discussion

Manny is awesome. Why people dislike him is beyond me. He's funny, hits a ton despite being 36, is a rental player so no long-term commitment...what's not to like? I guess the fact that the Dodgers are old/bad and this move won't really help them in the long run. They'd have to be pretty damn lucky to win the division, even if they're only 1 game behind. Their team for the most part sucks. Too many shitty contracts/players. Bad GM. Lots not to like there. So if they win the division this year, great, but they'll get destroyed by the Cubs, Brewers, Mets, Phillies, Marlins, etc. if they even make the playoffs.

Do you actually watch the Dodgers? Their pitching is awesome and has been for the most part all year. Odd too since most of their top tier pitchers are either not pitching well or hurt. The offense is bad but its also quite young. The team on the whole isn't old.

On top of all that, the Dodgers have done decently well against the Marlins, Phillies, Mets, Cubs and Brewers. Given they played all those teams without Casey Blake and Manny I'd say being close before means we're even now. Granted both the Cubs and the Brew-Crew got better as well, we'll see. I have no delusions the Dodgers are the best team in the West but if they get power from Manny and Blake they shouldn't be overlooked.

In short, you're completely off-base about the Dodgers, especially when it comes to their ability to win the division.

Manny is awesome. Why people dislike him is beyond me. He's funny, hits a ton despite being 36, is a rental player so no long-term commitment...what's not to like? I guess the fact that the Dodgers are old/bad and this move won't really help them in the long run. They'd have to be pretty damn lucky to win the division, even if they're only 1 game behind. Their team for the most part sucks. Too many shitty contracts/players. Bad GM. Lots not to like there. So if they win the division this year, great, but they'll get destroyed by the Cubs, Brewers, Mets, Phillies, Marlins, etc. if they even make the playoffs.

Do you actually watch the Dodgers? Their pitching is awesome and has been for the most part all year. Odd too since most of their top tier pitchers are either not pitching well or hurt. The offense is bad but its also quite young. The team on the whole isn't old.

On top of all that, the Dodgers have done decently well against the Marlins, Phillies, Mets, Cubs and Brewers. Given they played all those teams without Casey Blake and Manny I'd say being close before means we're even now. Granted both the Cubs and the Brew-Crew got better as well, we'll see. I have no delusions the Dodgers are the best team in the West but if they get power from Manny and Blake they shouldn't be overlooked.

In short, you're completely off-base about the Dodgers, especially when it comes to their ability to win the division.

Agreed. The West is wide-open and to completely discount the Dodgers as not being able to win it is crazy. The problem with the Dodgers and D-backs has been offense. With the Dodgers grabbing Manny, they now have the advantage over the D-backs, in my opinion.

Agreed. The West is wide-open and to completely discount the Dodgers as not being able to win it is crazy. The problem with the Dodgers and D-backs has been offense. With the Dodgers grabbing Manny, they now have the advantage over the D-backs, in my opinion.

Granted, as Tommy Lasorda would say, I bleed Dodger blue but after watching the last two games where Manny went crazy it seems obvious if Manny plays well, which he does in August, the Dodgers are a much better club. More speed, more power, more contact, more pitching.

Guest baseball

Yeah, I don't see how the Dodgers don't take the division. Unless Arizona's young hitters turn a corner, but I'm starting to wonder about some of them. Chris Young and Stephen Drew haven't seemed to have caught on like people thought they would. I like the D-Backs long-term still but doesn't look like it's going to happen this year.

Of course, the Dodgers rival in young talent as well. They just need to let the young guys play reguarly. I think it's going to be Dodgers/D-Backs race for the next couple years. Not all that impressed by the Rockies overall and San Diego and San Francisco need some pieces still. Interesting division.

Guest baseball

Dude, I wish I was a Dodgers or Cardinals fan. Orioles won the world series the year I was born and there haven't been all that many bright spots since then (for the team at least, the whole streak thing was pretty cool to witness). I'll never forgive that fucker Jeffrey Maier.

I'm glad the team is FINALLY headed in the right direction and have someone decent running the team, but they've gotta go the Tampa Bay way in this division, and that takes a lot of time and a fair amount of luck.

Dude, I wish I was a Dodgers or Cardinals fan. Orioles won the world series the year I was born and there haven't been all that many bright spots since then (for the team at least, the whole streak thing was pretty cool to witness). I'll never forgive that fucker Jeffrey Maier.

I'm glad the team is FINALLY headed in the right direction and have someone decent running the team, but they've gotta go the Tampa Bay way in this division, and that takes a lot of time and a fair amount of luck.

the orioles are just perpetually screwed because for the last say 15 years there hasn't been an overall stronger division than the AL east... and you gotta play the majority of your games against your own division.. and the AL east has taken 8 of the last 14 WS titles.

Well I mean the Yankers won 4 in the last 15 years: 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000. Two by the Red Sox: 2004, 2007. So two teams account for 6 of the last 12 World Series titles out of the East. The Jays in 1992 and 1993. No World Series in 1994. So 7 out of the last 15 years, 8 out of the last 15 WS.

Well I mean the Yankers won 4 in the last 15 years: 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000. Two by the Red Sox: 2004, 2007. So two teams account for 6 of the last 12 World Series titles out of the East. The Jays in 1992 and 1993. No World Series in 1994. So 7 out of the last 15 years, 8 out of the last 15 WS.

Ah, good point. Fucking 1994.

Add the Braves and Marlins (x2), and the Eastern Divisions in both leagues have dominated over that span.

Wow, I missed out on the deadline deal big time. I saw it, but didn't have a chance to research the prospects much -- still working on that.

I did notice via Sportscenter in my hotel that Bay has been on a fucking tear.

I'm actually going to follow him still, I love that guy. Go Red Sox! haha

Also, I became a Cubs fan over the weekend, because I needed a hat to protect me from the sun at Lolla and picked up a Cubbies cap.

yeah, well at least the Orioles have WON a world series... my Brewers lost in game 7 in 1982, after leading the game through the 5th inning when I was 1. This is our year! BREW CREW IN 08! CC YOU LATER!

i could see that happening. i bet every single person in LA is in love with manny now.

Well Dodger fans are. I cant remember the last player they had that was this big of a deal. My friend went to the game where Manny homered in the first and she said people were going nuts for him but didnt really cheer on any other players.

i could see that happening. i bet every single person in LA is in love with manny now.

Well Dodger fans are. I cant remember the last player they had that was this big of a deal. My friend went to the game where Manny homered in the first and she said people were going nuts for him but didnt really cheer on any other players.

Didn't cheer on any other player like they cheer Manny. To the first part, the last player the Dodgers had that was "that" big of a deal was Sheffield from the Marlins. Before that Daryl Strawberry. Granted Piazza was a big deal but he was homegrown, not a trade or free agent pick-up.

Didn't cheer on any other player like they cheer Manny. To the first part, the last player the Dodgers had that was "that" big of a deal was Sheffield from the Marlins. Before that Daryl Strawberry. Granted Piazza was a big deal but he was homegrown, not a trade or free agent pick-up.

What about Delino DeShields?!