MLB Discussion

Hey Girardi, way to go to Rivera before you got the lead. He should be watching Scioscia and taking notes on how to coach. I guarantee Girardi didnt learn a damn thing from Torre (the most over rated coach of all time).

I would've pitched Rivera too. I'd think in a 0-0 game late, you'd want your best pitcher pitching in that kind of high-leverage situation.

Saves can be pretty overrated.

Makes the Yanks look desperate. I guess they really need a win tho.

Frankie's gonna get 60 this year

Karstan just pitched 6 shutout innings against the Cubs in Chicago, Pirates won 3 - 0. That is very impressive. 101 pitches, 61 strikes, 2 SO, 4 BB, not bad really.

Pirates needed to trade for pitching prospects and looks like they got at least one decent pitcher in all the trades. Moss went 0-4, LaRoche went 1-4 and scored a run, and Michaels went 2-3 with a HR and 2 RBI's, and I think he's gunna be playing quiet a bit more, now iwth both corner OF's gone, and I like that.

hopefully pearce starts playing more. move him back to first. dougie mxyzptlk was 0-5.

dougie is better than LaRoche at 1B/at bat though, so keep dougie at 1B for now IMO... also, whats up Michaels, nice to see him coming through!

So I really dont like Joe Torre and people always try to debate me and tell me what a great manager he is. I happen to think he is a below average manager who doesnt really manage at all. He doesnt do anything during the game but sit there and let the other coaches take care of everything. Anyone else here agree w/ me on this? My friends think Im crazy cause he was so successful with the Yankees. The ONLY reason he was successful with the Yanks is cause he had the biggest payroll in baseball and had a stacked team every year. He didnt have to do shit. Just looked up his managerial record. 2121 - 1824 overall but 1173 - 767 with the Yanks.

So you take out the wins and losses that he got with the Yanks and his record is 948 - 1057. Thats terrible!!!

Hey Girardi, way to go to Rivera before you got the lead. He should be watching Scioscia and taking notes on how to coach. I guarantee Girardi didnt learn a damn thing from Torre (the most over rated coach of all time).

I would've pitched Rivera too. I'd think in a 0-0 game late, you'd want your best pitcher pitching in that kind of high-leverage situation.

Rivera is absolutely atrocious in non-save situations. Horrible. I mean beyond bad. He's 4-4 and he hasn't blown a save. That means he's got all his loses when he comes in during non-save situations. I knew it when he came in he was going to blow the game.

He's a flipping closer, he should close. Especially when you're he home team. Now, the Yankees may not have the pen to do anything else but Rivera does not flourish during non-save situations.

So I really dont like Joe Torre and people always try to debate me and tell me what a great manager he is. I happen to think he is a below average manager who doesnt really manage at all. He doesnt do anything during the game but sit there and let the other coaches take care of everything. Anyone else here agree w/ me on this? My friends think Im crazy cause he was so successful with the Yankees. The ONLY reason he was successful with the Yanks is cause he had the biggest payroll in baseball and had a stacked team every year. He didnt have to do shit. Just looked up his managerial record. 2121 - 1824 overall but 1173 - 767 with the Yanks.

So you take out the wins and losses that he got with the Yanks and his record is 948 - 1057. Thats terrible!!!

I think Torre's greatest strength in NY was his managing of the media, the crazy expectations, and the egos.

Rivera is absolutely atrocious in non-save situations. Horrible. I mean beyond bad. He's 4-4 and he hasn't blown a save. That means he's got all his loses when he comes in during non-save situations. I knew it when he came in he was going to blow the game.

He's a flipping closer, he should close. Especially when you're he home team. Now, the Yankees may not have the pen to do anything else but Rivera does not flourish during non-save situations.

I wouldn't say he's been atrocious. He's got a 3.00 ERA with 25 K's in 21 IP. But you're right -- he hasn't been great in non-save situations by any means. Didn't realize he'd given up so many HR's (3) in those situations too.

That being said... the Yankee's pen isn't all that great. Marte already pitched. I wonder if Ramirez was available? He's been pretty good, so maybe they should've put him in.

Edit: Ah... forgot Ramirez was suspended for all that shit with the Orioles. No wonder Rivera was in there.

Guest baseball

I think Torre's greatest strength in NY was his managing of the media, the crazy expectations, and the egos.

Yeah, I agree. I think the manager's main function is to motivate the players and keep the clubhouse docile. Torre always seemed to be successful at that.

Tactically he definitely left something to be desired for. Especially the way he used to manage that Yankees bullpen. Like when he put Jeff Weaver out there to give up that game winning home run against Florida a few years ago during the world series, when Rivera was available.

If you want to talk about people the Dodgers gave-up on too early I just saw the poster child, Wilson Betemit. He doesn't play every day but he has more home runs than anyone on the Dodgers currently, save for Manny. He can play 3B and 2B at least and I think he can play a decent SS too. That trade was a horrible one.

Manny has been a success to this point. He can stay

Yea I didnt think there would be any question about that. He's one of the best offensive players of all time. He's going to be terrible on defensive over there tho. He was lucky he got to play w/ the Green Monster behind him at Fenway. That made it a lot easier for him.

Same argument I made about Piazza. He'll produce far more runs than he'll allow. He got a bad jump on a ball the other day but managed to catch up to it. Sure he played a double by Drew in to a triple but whatever. I'll take his .300 avg, his power, and his ability to knock in runs over Andruw Jones' .167 avg, 2 HRs but great defense.

Manny is awesome. Why people dislike him is beyond me. He's funny, hits a ton despite being 36, is a rental player so no long-term commitment...what's not to like? I guess the fact that the Dodgers are old/bad and this move won't really help them in the long run. They'd have to be pretty damn lucky to win the division, even if they're only 1 game behind. Their team for the most part sucks. Too many shitty contracts/players. Bad GM. Lots not to like there. So if they win the division this year, great, but they'll get destroyed by the Cubs, Brewers, Mets, Phillies, Marlins, etc. if they even make the playoffs. And, if they don't make the playoffs, they not only lost 2 prospects (which they desperately need), but they also will have a shittier draft position as the result of the few extra games Manny helps them win.

The Mets relying on Grandpa Alou was silly in the first place. Yeah, he's still got some ability, but can't stay healthy for shit any more. His career is done. Bench player at best. I wouldn't even trust him in a platoon at this point. He was awesome for a while though. Just too old. No big deal.

Church was really starting to look like a great player before he had the concussion. That really sucks because it could really fuck his career up. Granted, it's not like hockey where you're going to get concussions all the time after the first one, but still, it's not going to be good for him at all when he's dizzy at the plate half the time. Endy Chavez is getting way too much playing time in NY.

Same argument I made about Piazza. He'll produce far more runs than he'll allow. He got a bad jump on a ball the other day but managed to catch up to it. Sure he played a double by Drew in to a triple but whatever. I'll take his .300 avg, his power, and his ability to knock in runs over Andruw Jones' .167 avg, 2 HRs but great defense.

Manny will defintiely drive in more runs than he will allow. The guy is amazing on the offensive side.