MLB Discussion

Way too much talk on the NY radio about whether Thome is a Hall of Famer for my taste. He is unquestionably an HOFer. He did play in the steroid era but the scandal hasn't even whiffed him - there needs to be some standard going forward and I think it begins with who's been implicated. He hasn't so it's hard to apply the same standard to him that has been applied to Bonds, McGuire et al.

Further, this man has the fourth highest Home Run Batting Average of all time after Ruth, McGuire and Bonds. No small accomplishment and combined with the #600 makes him an instant first time ballot guy.

they're shouldnt be any argument, hes highly underrated.. most likely for being dwarved by larger than life players around his era, and sometimes on his own team... he quietly put together a seriously impressive career... high OPB, tons of HR's, and a high avg... don't know if hes' first ballot (they play stupid games with that) but hes definitely in

At 600 HRs he's a first ballot player. There is no doubt in my mind that the steroid era allowed a lot of borderline players to get in unfortunately. The voters began putting in guys that wouldn't have made the cut 20 years ago simply because they felt the need to push someone through. I feel the HOFer should be highly exclusive and some of the names that have gone in over the past 10 years didn't cut it for me.

I will say this: Roberto Alomar was robbed in his first year - I don't get why he had to wait. Further, I don't see how you put in Blyleven ahead of Jack Morris. His exclusion considering who's gone in recently is criminal to me. Then again I am a highly opinionated fan who loves to argue all things baseball.

hey Trav any time your angels wanna start beating Texas it would be appreciated... i do not wanna have to face them in the first round of the playoffs.

Yea its been pretty disappointing. Kinda what I expected though. Game 1 was a pitcher who has only pitched 1 game in the bigs and before that had never been above AA. Then yesterday was Chatwood and hes not ready for the bigs either yet but due to lack of starters this year he's been up and pitching ok. I guess Texas did exactly what they were suppose to do against pitchers like that. Tonight should be better since Santana is going and he's been the best pitcher in baseball over his last 5 starts or so. Dude has been on fire so hopefully he keeps it up.

Can anyone explain to me how that Billy Butler non-home run was ruled a home run after umpires review? What did I miss? It was clearly off the top of the wall, no doubt about it. Did the umps miss it or was it some crazy ground rule that was in affect? It ended up being the difference maker with KC beating the NYY 5-4.

Can anyone explain to me how that Billy Butler non-home run was ruled a home run after umpires review? What did I miss? It was clearly off the top of the wall, no doubt about it. Did the umps miss it or was it some crazy ground rule that was in affect? It ended up being the difference maker with KC beating the NYY 5-4.

i think some crazy ground rule played a factor, because that fence it hit off of, which is over the wall, is actually about a foot behind the wall. so if a ball clears that first wall, hits off that fence and bounces back into play, it's a home run. logically it makes senses but that ground rule is open to interpretation apparently, meaning it's the umpire's discretion when it comes to the call. they should paint that fence thing yellow though, like in every other park that has weird dimensions or features like that. to make it clearer that if the ball hits at or above that line it's a home run.

that HR was the difference maker but what the hell was Posada doing there with the bat on his shoulders with bases loaded, down by 1 with 2 outs in the top of the 9th. he didn't swing at one pitch and struck out looking on a fastball right over the heart of the plate. he just stared at all three strikes and chimmed off to the umpire after almost every strike. going into last season these three things typically happened from his at bats; grounds into an inning ending DP, swings at the first pitch and grounds out, or strikes out looking.

i think some crazy ground rule played a factor, because that fence it hit off of, which is over the wall, is actually about a foot behind the wall. so if a ball clears that first wall, hits off that fence and bounces back into play, it's a home run. logically it makes senses but that ground rule is open to interpretation apparently, meaning it's the umpire's discretion when it comes to the call. they should paint that fence thing yellow though, like in every other park that has weird dimensions or features like that. to make it clearer that if the ball hits at or above that line it's a home run.

I hear on you on that but it looked to me (and the KC announcers) like it bounced back off of the top of the first wall, like it never cleared the first fence at all. Weird. But you're right about Posada, when Swish took that walk, I knew the game was over. When Jorgy's off, he's way off. And he had nothing tonight. Oh well.