MLB Discussion

I guess these guys are smarter than me though?

i understand it, but at the same time, i don't. i think a progressive salary hike for established players is warranted, or guys who have a couple of solid years under their belts. but $22 million for scutaro? a 37-year-old who never made that much over the duration of his career, and the giants think he just magically turned it on? he's going to regress big time, and while he may be an above-average middle infielder, he's not worth the 2012 playoffs bonus they're paying him, which is all it's going to amount to.

upon further reflection, it's probably as an incentive for them to keep playing hard. if your salary decreases year to year... what is that saying about what the front desk thinks about your abilities?

As for his last stint there, no clue. Wasn't on my radar.

he wasn't on anyone's radars, which is why the mariners dished him. he's legit though, love the guy and his goofy-ass load during his swing.

The bolded, were you talking about this from Seattles side or Washington? Because pretty much none of that is what this trade does for Seattle.

The Nats have a good team, but that doesn't mean they can afford $10 mil or whatever it is for a guy they didn't have room for.

I love what Seattle did. Morse is a really good player making $6.75 million on a one year deal (we view 1 year as a negative, but it is a positive. GMs would probably sign everyone to single year deals if they could to avoid risk).

Yeah, obviously Morse doesn't help them hit on draft picks. I was talking overall how to build a team. Good players on your roster attract other good players and fans. Pretty simple. You gotta give the fans something now to keep the franchise going while the master plan can work out. Otherwise you might as well just trade all your draft picks for the next 3 years for picks in the 4th and 5th. Then you can time a tidal wave of prospects all coming up at the same time, ride them until they get paid, and repeat. That's not how baseball works though.

The Mariners really gonna roll with Jesus Montero at catcher? Must be, cause Morales is DH'ing. I don't know if he has improved or not but every analysis of him ever written was "great bat. Below average catcher". Not good for Felix.

back to the brewers for a second, i just had to look it up today to verify monies...

braun 8.5 mil (10 next yr)

weeks 10 (11 next yr)

hart 10 (FA next yr)

ramirez 10 (16 next yr)

gallardo 7.75 (11 next yr)

axord will probably get in his 1st yaer of arbitration between 3 - 5 mil, gomez will get in that range too in his final (4th) year of arb, and everyone else on the roster is making less than 3 million either on contract, or through arb/pre-arb.  payroll, currently, with all arbitrations calculated, will leave the brewers at 72 million. 

you're not who im talking about, there are a couple guys who post like maniacs during the season, but enjoy the wagonride

yeah i was kidding, my post that you quoted was the first time i contributed to this thread haha

i'm surprised there's not much of a raging hamilton boner in here, though. i'm not as jazzed with that signing as i am with ryan madson... easily their best move this offseason. but nothing will heal the pain from signing blanton

I love what Seattle did. Morse is a really good player making $6.75 million on a one year deal (we view 1 year as a negative, but it is a positive. GMs would probably sign everyone to single year deals if they could to avoid risk).

Yeah, obviously Morse doesn't help them hit on draft picks. I was talking overall how to build a team. Good players on your roster attract other good players and fans. Pretty simple. You gotta give the fans something now to keep the franchise going while the master plan can work out. Otherwise you might as well just trade all your draft picks for the next 3 years for picks in the 4th and 5th. Then you can time a tidal wave of prospects all coming up at the same time, ride them until they get paid, and repeat. That's not how baseball works though.

The Mariners really gonna roll with Jesus Montero at catcher? Must be, cause Morales is DH'ing. I don't know if he has improved or not but every analysis of him ever written was "great bat. Below average catcher". Not good for Felix.

______

I think saying GM's would prefer 1 year deals is untrue, but I understand your point. This trade though traded a guy with 4 controlled seasons for a guy with 1. Thats a terrible terrible idea for a team that is not any good.

Giving the fans something now, yeah, sure I can see that. But what they're giving the fans is a lesser player than the one they traded when you consider positional value.. A lesser player controlled for 3 fewer seasons. A lesser player that they already have added variations of in Ibanez and Morales. And it's not like Mike Morse will put butts in the seats. In fact, Morse is pretty widely disliked in Seattle for being terrible there and being suspended twice for PEDs

Weeks is a bum. 

8 years, about 1000 total runs produced. Way overpaid.

his health is more of a concern than the total runs produced... 9 seasons and he's only been healthy through 2 of them.  had he actually played full seasons, the run production would be much higher. 

they've got a couple guys in the minors who project to be decent in the next two years, so he'll only be in MKE for this year and maybe next year. 

I guess we just disagree on a valuation of Morse. I think he is as good a hitter as Morales, and I'll happily take that for a year.

Jaso, I don't know on. That .400 OBP out of a catcher from last year is a huge plus. But he just doesn't pass the eye test with me. .400 OBP is great but not when you get 40 runs out of it on 300 ABs. Yeah, walks are nice but when you are that skewed towards walks and singles with no speed, it just doesn't translate into runs, which are what really counts. And last year may have been a career year for him. Defensively I don't really know how he ranks. I'm assuming good, not great.

I guess we just disagree on a valuation of Morse. I think he is as good a hitter as Morales, and I'll happily take that for a year.

Jaso, I don't know on. That .400 OBP out of a catcher from last year is a huge plus. But he just doesn't pass the eye test with me. .400 OBP is great but not when you get 40 runs out of it on 300 ABs. Yeah, walks are nice but when you are that skewed towards walks and singles with no speed, it just doesn't translate into runs, which are what really counts. And last year may have been a career year for him. Defensively I don't really know how he ranks. I'm assuming good, not great.

_____

Morse is alright, probably a DH though that will be stuck in the outfield.

I don't think Jaso is a .400 OBP guy, but he definitely has the skill of getting on base. You can say he only scored 40 runs, but not only is that not terrible over 350 PA's in general, but that is also with the Mariners god awful lineup around him.

In the span of 1 year, the A's offense has gone from a joke to one that is very very formidable.

Middle of the road in terms of runs scored. It's improved, but "very very formidable" is definitely overselling it.

A's catchers, SS's and 2B's  last season had a combined .600 OPS. That will be improved by leaps and bounds. Oakland dealt with a lot of bad AB's last season from guys that aren't returning. They should have most of that figured out.

I did wanted to make my point on Morse a little more clear. If Seattle signed him, 1 year 6.75 mil, it would be a pretty inconsequential. What I'm trying to say is that a team that can't contend, that will never have more than a middle of the road payroll, shouldn't be trading solid players with 4 years of control for solid players with 1 year of control.

I still like the trade. They didn't trade Dustin Ackley or Jesus Montero, it was Jon Jaso. You have a great prospect you can play at catcher. You can get another catcher to hit some singles and play defense if Montero isn't getting it done defensively.

Let's be honest, either way they are going to be bad for the next 4 years. Give me the 1 year out of a guy I actually care to watch and get a little protection around Morales while you can, because he may not be Barry Bonds but he's the best thing they have on offense.

you're not who im talking about, there are a couple guys who post like maniacs during the season, but enjoy the wagonride

I dont even understand what the point was of saying Angels fans are MIA here when its the offseason. Until today I didnt even think there was anyone else on this board who was an Angels fan. Also I do post here in the offseason, just havent really had anything to say about baseball lately.

I dont even understand what the point was of saying Angels fans are MIA here when its the offseason. Until today I didnt even think there was anyone else on this board who was an Angels fan. Also I do post here in the offseason, just havent really had anything to say about baseball lately.

during the season this thread gets overrun by angels comments, or at least thats what it seems like to me.  theres a lot to talk about in the offseason

Just curious -- Do any of you guys buy stuff like "2012 World Series hats" and "2010 NLCS champions"? I'd prefer to not have that on any of my team's gear. 

I think I have a National League Champions Astros shirt somewhere.  It'll probably be a while before I can get a matching American League Champions one.

But I've probably only worn it once.