MLB Discussion

Yanks are senior citizens and have a lot of negatives (Jeter and Mo both coming off serious injuries, A-Rod out for a while, his replacement another senior citizen, Tex took big step back, lost Swisher).

I'm not saying this will happen, but this is the first year since i started watching baseball that you could realistically see the Yankees finish last in their division.

Thats cause the Angels make all their big splashy moves off the bat thinking they are good, and then realize that they are still missing key pieces.

The Yanks will be interesting this year, a lot of key players coming back from big injuries. These arent the nagging injuries that effect most teams but its all star players coming back from career altering injuries. From watching the Phils deal with this last year with Howard, Utley, Halliday, trust me, it could be a long painful season.

I think im in for an interesting year in Milwaukee... looking like the rotation will be Gallardo, a couple rookies and Estrada/Narveson.  the bullpen was revamped, which was nice to see since it was beyond terrible last year, but it'll be interesting to see how the rotation pans out...

What the hell is the Brewers doing with their money? I am sure they made some decent money at the park and on merch for Fielder and Braun, but shit, they cant get a decent team around them/him now. Do they care about winning at all or are they like the Red Sox and just care about ratings now?

What the hell is the Brewers doing with their money? I am sure they made some decent money at the park and on merch for Fielder and Braun, but shit, they cant get a decent team around them/him now. Do they care about winning at all or are they like the Red Sox and just care about ratings now?

well the brewers have been operating at a loss the last two seasons with a payroll over 98 million both years... so I think its a matter of them trying to play it smart for the future, rather than burning out right now.  I still think they're an 80+ win team right now, I dont know about the playoffs... they also are in the smallest media market in all of baseball and have one of the smallest TV contracts to go with it.  so its not like they're swimming in money to buy up players, ya know? 

I didnt know they were working in the red and that their budget was 98 mill. That is nuts to think about how they got so much tied into players that arent worth that much. Besides Braun and Yovanni they dont have anyone that should really be making 10 mil a year.

A-Ram, Hart and a healthy Weeks do.  outside of those 5 players, I dont think anyone is making more than Lucroy the catcher, who is making $3 million this year?  maybe?  I think Corey Hart is worth $10 million, and he did a pretty good job last year transitioning from RF to 1B when Gamel blew he knee. 

For some reason I was thinking Hart went to Pittsburgh, yes he totally deserves it and is an underrated player. Weeks is not worth it in my eyes, he is too old, waaay too streaky and will hurt you much much more than help you win a game. A-Ram is not the player he used to be. It seems like players hit a certain point in their career and think they can never go below a certain price frame. Yes, he was good 6 years ago, but now he should not be making more than 7 mill a year at all. You wouldnt pay a guy fresh out of AAA to put up those numbers why should you pay a guy on the decline to put up those numbers?  I think a 25 year old player with power potential will have a better shot at beating his projections than an aging player with a swing that is slowing. You could make the argument of "leadership" and "club house presence" but I dont think there is really any way to put that into a tangible thing that you can break down on the pay scale. How much does leadership get you in wins or developing young players? Im not saying you shouldnt pay for it, just that I have no idea how to figure out what you should pay for it.

I look at Hart the same way as I look at Scottie Pippen. I dont want him to be my star, but he is a hell of an underrated complimentary player. Having Hart hitting 4th on the Mariners is a terrible idea, but having him teamed with a bigger threat like a Braun/Fielder/Pujols/ etc type and he will be worth more than the 10 mil.

For some reason I was thinking Hart went to Pittsburgh, yes he totally deserves it and is an underrated player. Weeks is not worth it in my eyes, he is too old, waaay too streaky and will hurt you much much more than help you win a game. A-Ram is not the player he used to be. It seems like players hit a certain point in their career and think they can never go below a certain price frame. Yes, he was good 6 years ago, but now he should not be making more than 7 mill a year at all. You wouldnt pay a guy fresh out of AAA to put up those numbers why should you pay a guy on the decline to put up those numbers?  I think a 25 year old player with power potential will have a better shot at beating his projections than an aging player with a swing that is slowing. You could make the argument of "leadership" and "club house presence" but I dont think there is really any way to put that into a tangible thing that you can break down on the pay scale. How much does leadership get you in wins or developing young players? Im not saying you shouldnt pay for it, just that I have no idea how to figure out what you should pay for it.

A-Ram is 34, last year was probably one of the best seasons he's ever had.  Not saying that this year and next will be as good or better, but for one season, he's was worth every penny he was paid.  97 runs, 50 doubles, 27 HR, 105 RBI's, hit .300, slugged .501, had an OPS of .901 and played in 150 games while getting paid $6 million.  now, he'll be making $10 and $16 this and next year, so its going to be tough to bring that kind of production/value to the team... but theres also a chance if he's hot this year and the team doesnt perform well, he could be traded.

Kind of makes you wonder if a team would have more success if they just paid guys more up front and less later, to match a predicted decline in their careers.

Yeah, there is the time-value of money that might make you want to delay payments but when you constantly delay payments, you don't gain any advantage. You just overpay some guys and underpay others each. But then you end up with huge contracts for players you can't move.

I guess these guys are smarter than me though?

Fuck, he is making 16 mill next year? Damn that is a lot! I agree with you that he was certainly worth the 6 mill he got for last year, by and large good numbers and cant complain about that at all for that price, but to put up those numbers (or presumably worse ones when he will be 36) when making 16 mill a year? Terrible decision, but what can I say, my team is paying Ryan Howard 25 million a year to hit 30 home runs and .250 and not figure out how to hit to the opposite field. I sometimes wonder how the hell these people get to the top of the ladder and run a team.

Fuck, he is making 16 mill next year? Damn that is a lot! I agree with you that he was certainly worth the 6 mill he got for last year, by and large good numbers and cant complain about that at all for that price, but to put up those numbers (or presumably worse ones when he will be 36) when making 16 mill a year? Terrible decision, but what can I say, my team is paying Ryan Howard 25 million a year to hit 30 home runs and .250 and not figure out how to hit to the opposite field. I sometimes wonder how the hell these people get to the top of the ladder and run a team.

I wish the contract was flipped, 16, 10 and 6, like how they do NHL contracts... 

Morse is redundant in Seattle, a year away from free agency and the Mariners aren't anywhere near contending. Good trade for Oakland, fine trade for Washington, bad trade for Seattle.

You can't go from nothing to a contender in a single season. You want to add good players on good contracts, get your fans coming, hit on picks, resign those players, develop a clubhouse, get momentum. Far from redundant. 

The Nats would have been better to hang on to him. Injuries happen during the season, and if they don't, you can trade him at the deadline. They got nothing to help them this year, which is what they should have been focused on. They have a real chance. No need to give up an above average major league bat for a single A player.

As for his last stint there, no clue. Wasn't on my radar. I have followed him the last 2 years though and I think he is a good player. Would have gladly had the Tigers trade for him and not rely on Andy Dirks.

You can't go from nothing to a contender in a single season. You want to add good players on good contracts, get your fans coming, hit on picks, resign those players, develop a clubhouse, get momentum. Far from redundant. 

The Nats would have been better to hang on to him. Injuries happen during the season, and if they don't, you can trade him at the deadline. They got nothing to help them this year, which is what they should have been focused on. They have a real chance. No need to give up an above average major league bat for a single A player.

As for his last stint there, no clue. Wasn't on my radar. I have followed him the last 2 years though and I think he is a good player. Would have gladly had the Tigers trade for him and not rely on Andy Dirks.

The bolded, were you talking about this from Seattles side or Washington? Because pretty much none of that is what this trade does for Seattle.

The Nats have a good team, but that doesn't mean they can afford $10 mil or whatever it is for a guy they didn't have room for.