MLB Discussion

Yeah Walker had Coors, but an 1.170 OPS is off the charts, even for that park.

The way I look at it, is while I don't think PED's are out of baseball, I do think players can't basically roam free and take these chemical wanders that turn everyone into superman. So really, look at the numbers the last few years. Now go back 10-20 years and I think when you look at this insanely long list of guys easily topping a 1.000 OPS - when it almost can't be done today - what does that tell you?

Votto seems to have the skill set to do it. Dude is incredible. I didn't realize he almost had a .500 OBP last year over 400 ABs.

Sad news about Stan The Man. Always a class act and one of the best hitters of all time.

I read that he had the same number of hits at home and on the road. Pretty amazing. My grandfather would always talk about his greatness when I was growing up, so it was sad to hear him pass. Even though I'm a life long Phillies fan I have the upmost respect for him.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/20/sports/baseball/baseball-great-stan-musial-dies-at-92.html?_r=0

Jeff Passan of yahoo's comments on Marcum (the number has him as the 33rd best free agent this year):

33) Far lower than on other lists based on a pair of things. 1) The pain in Marcum's arm flared up throughout 2012, and the words "shoulder soreness" and "elbow tightness" are about the ugliest in baseball. 2) Right-handed pitchers whose fastballs sit at 86.5 mph tend to get pilloried. And Greg Maddux he ain't.

The thing the Braves have to hope for is that these guys don't fall into slumps at the same time especially with the Nats becoming competitive.

My Sox are screwed. With the Yanks, O's, Rays and Now the Jays all looking strong. Our big signings include a first baseman with a hip about to fall off(Napoli) a shortstop who is good but can not stay healthy (Drew) an old outfeilder with no power (Victorino) and an old pitcher who is inconsistant (Dempster)

Anyone else hear about the contract Delmon Young got from the Phillies? He has incentives they put in that he needs to be weighed 6 times throughout the season. The first 3 times he has to way 230, the last 3 he can weigh 235. If he hits the marks he will get 300,000 each time. They are paying him to not be a lazy fatass. Only in America.

I wouldn't have wanted the Tigers to give $750k. He's awful in the field, he has a sub .300 obp, his power is OK, and he has no speed. Why do you even want a player like that on the field? 

Phillies would have been better off sticking with Juan Pierre for one more year. He had a higher OPS last year...Juan Pierre...

Michael Young is old and may have hit the wall but he also had one of the best seasons of his career the year before last (.380 obp, .474 slg, 106 RBIs). It's a big gamble on what they are going to get this year. It could work out for them.

The only thing Delmon Young has going for him is that 10 years ago the Rays took him #1. He has had 1 good year in 6 major league seasons and it wasn't THAT good.

I like that we have M. Young. I wish it wasnt for that amount of money as his best years are well behind him, but he is a great clubhouse guy and has had one bad season in his career.

I dont understand the D. Young one at all. He has never been good. It has always been about him not living up to his hype. Even when he was in shape he wasnt playing to what the scouts thought his potential was. He had one decent series in the playoffs thats it. Not to mention that he is a horrible human. Id rather the Phillies just took the money and shot it out of a cannon at games and had fans try to grab what they could. It would be a lot more entertaining and the fan base would be more happy. 

I like that we have M. Young. I wish it wasnt for that amount of money as his best years are well behind him, but he is a great clubhouse guy and has had one bad season in his career.

I dont understand the D. Young one at all. He has never been good. It has always been about him not living up to his hype. Even when he was in shape he wasnt playing to what the scouts thought his potential was. He had one decent series in the playoffs thats it. Not to mention that he is a horrible human. Id rather the Phillies just took the money and shot it out of a cannon at games and had fans try to grab what they could. It would be a lot more entertaining and the fan base would be more happy. 

Enjoy this...

iKrkARbF1wiyC.gif