MLB Discussion

It's like when a player falls in the draft. You have to think, "what does everyone else believe about this player that I am missing?" I wouldn't want that contract. I would have offered a 2 year deal with vesting options that automatically kick in for performance (like scoring 100 runs), same as you would an injury prone player.

Well you're comparing the most inexact science in sports - the MLB draft - with signing a player averaging 5 WAR over the last 4 seasons.

And maybe just semantics, but you can't have performance based incentives i.e runs or home runs.

The Braves are paying more for Upton, who has averaged under 4 WAR the last 4 seasons.

And maybe just semantics, but you can't have performance based incentives i.e runs or home runs.

The Braves are paying more for Upton, who has averaged under 4 WAR the last 4 seasons.

Bossman junior, right? I don't like that deal much either. I'd rather have Bourn at $48 than BJ at $72. And my comments were not based on Bourn's past performance, only on the fact that speedy players usually do not age well. If they can get comparable production from the next 4 years as they did the last 4, it's a great deal. I found this:

http://stats-dont-lie.blogspot.com/2010/03/age-study-mlb-stolen-bases.html

The trend is clear. Any individual player can buck the trends but speed diminishes significantly in the early 30s.

And what do you mean you can't have performance based incentives? You are saying that there is a rule against this? I'll admit I am recalling a lot more vesting options based on plate appearances but guys get bonuses all the time for making an all star game. What about A-Rod's contract, where he get's bonuses for passing the people ahead of him on the home runs list? Couldn't you just give the guy player options for the last few years with low base salary and then performance bonuses?

The A-Rod milestone incentives is a pretty interesting case that is probably somewhere in the middle.

But the CBA does not allow performance based incentives. Whenever you see incentives or vesting options, it will always be for IP's or AB's. A perfect example is deals closers get: The clause is always "games finished" rather than saves.

Is Trout growing into his body or did he spend winter getting jacked?

He spent it catching Groupers:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/mike-trout-snags-550-pound-grouper-near-key-152616703--mlb.html

I'll believe 6-1 240 when I see it. Could be a typo or something. That is NFL middle line backer size. I think middle linebackers would be so big that it would interfere with their ability to swing (as opposed to say a guy like Cabrera, where that 240 is spread out on a 6-4 frame).