MLB Discussion

I would add that 30 pounds of muscle in an offseason would be near impossible to do, even with steroids. Even an elite athlete who's entire life was dedicated to training would have trouble putting on 10 pounds of muscle in a year.

Losing fat is a different story. A 250 pound man can drop 30 or 40 pounds in a year and look ripped underneath.

posting this from another forum that i just found amusing, mainly because of the derp-a-derp

I am so flipping tired of the little "internet scientists" reverting back to the "Braun got off on a technicality" meme.

Either people are too stupid, or too lazy, to learn what happens to a urine sample when it's allowed to sit out at room temperature for two days, and by extension, they cannot grasp why exactly an uncompromised sample is of paramount importance in drug testing. 

"Well the seal on the sample was still intact, derp derp, so the sample was good". 

Urine cannot sit out for 44 hours, and yield accurate test results. It is a scientific impossibility. Why? Because urine is not inert. In a closed sample, after 8 to 10 hours, the liquid will begin to warm as bacteria grows. Bacterial growth leads to the cellular breakdown. When this happens, liquid evaporates, and the ph factor changes. The exact same thing happened in Diane Modahl's case, and her team was able to prove that the sample sat out at the lab, causing the urine to degrade. 

There were at least five FedEx locations within five miles of the stadium that were open until 9 p.m. and an additional FedEx location that was open for 24 hours. There were upwards of 18 or 19 FedEx locations that were open between the ballpark and his house that he could have dropped the samples off at.

That's a quote from Ryan Braun at his press conference. The assertion by Dino Laurenzi that there were no Fed Ex locations open after 5pm is a crock. Then on the Monday after he collected the sample, he couldn't be bothered to get to Fed Ex until nearly 2 pm.

From the time Ryan Braun's piss left Miller Park, the entire process was a comedy of errors. And I am so bleeping tired of ESPN's throwing feces against the wall every day, hoping that something sticks. Either show proof that he did something that warrants a suspension by MLB, or STFU.

I'll admit I was unaware of the effect on bacterial growth on the testosterone ratios of a urine sample. I looked around online a little bit and found some good scientific articles on the subject. They are hard to read (I'm no chemist) but the idea seems to be legit.

I thought the sample was kept in a refrigerator. That would make a difference.

That guys tone is total asshole, though. I doubt he has a degree in chemistry either. Lose the whole "you are all stupid and don't know what you are talking about" attitude cause I'm betting you don't either. There are people out there who have studied the degradation of urine testing accuracy over time. It would be cool to see if any of them (like people from the world anti-doping agency) commented on the Braun situation. It would also be interesting to find out the rate of change that bacteria can have on a sample (I mean, does it change the sample 5% or does it destroy it?)

I know there are steroids that clear less than a week:

http://www.articlesbase.com/acne-articles/drug-testing-steroid-detection-times-you-need-to-know-580517.html

It would be interesting to know if these low cycle time steroids degrade very easily, which would make them more susceptible to the effect of bacteria in urine.

There is also a pretty easy way to test this -- have 100 people pee into a cup on Friday, wait until Monday, and test for steroids. If the samples look similar to Brauns (even just in the same range), then you can conclude that there is a good chance that he didn't use. My gut tells me that if I pee into a cup and wait a couple days, I wouldn't test positive for large amounts of free testosterone. People would probably be drinking their own pee to get bigger (or developing ways to extract testosterone from urine).

Knowing what I now know about testing doesn't change how I feel about Braun -- Sketchy but not proven. I'm really not even sure from what I've read that holding a sample would lead to a false positive and not a false negative. I do know that I'm not gonna believe some dude on a message board. I'm definitely open to reading scientific opinion.

From what I have read from scientific papers, it's more than a technicality. Testosterone levels do not stay constant in a sample over time and if not handled properly, they can change. It's not like someone misspelled his name on the label and it had to be thrown out because of that.

What I still can't discern is the likelihood of a false positive, what a false positive would look like, etc. there's probably only a few people on the planet who have knowledge on that subject and how Braun's case fits in.

I heard a report on the radio this morning that Trout actually is up to 238 lbs. and says he's just as fast as he was before and wants to prove that to Scioscia at camp this year. Not sure how I feel about this...

Heard this too, but still at 9% body fat.  I feel he'll be fine.

What's Trumbo going to do this year?

Does anyone have a reliable measure of what he weighed last year? Like more than just what he is listed at on Yahoo. Something more reliable?

I'll give you that Trout is an incredible athlete, but the numbers just don't add up. This could shed a little light on it:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/whats-my-genetic-muscular-potential.html

1) It's not possible for an elite athlete to pack on 20-40 pounds of muscle in a year. Elite athletes work their butts off to put on 5 pounds of muscle in a year.

2) 240 with 9% body fat (call it 10% for numerical ease) is a lean body mass of about 220 pounds. This is approximately what Arnold competed at in his bodybuilding career (on steroids and with an extra inch of height).

When I look at Trout, I don't see someone who is Arnold big. Something is off with the whole story. Likely, he is not at 9% body fat and is more like 15%.

I have a feeling his playing weight was vastly under reported. Also I think these guys gain a lot ofmweightnduring the season. Being as he was 20 he probably never had much of a diet or workout regimin so now that he put himself on one he probably blew up. It happened to me this past year. Why not him?

I have a feeling his playing weight was vastly under reported. Also I think these guys gain a lot ofmweightnduring the season. Being as he was 20 he probably never had much of a diet or workout regimin so now that he put himself on one he probably blew up. It happened to me this past year. Why not him?

Totally agree. He was probably in the 220s last year. He added 5 pounds of muscle, and some fat to come in at 238.

I don't doubt that he can be incredibly fast at that weight. Chubs Fielder could probably outrun 99% of Americans with a body under 6 foot and 240 pounds of weight. It's just that I'm guessing people who don't understand body weight and body fat percentages are throwing claims around. It's just not humanly possible to add 20 pounds of muscle or to add a lot of muscle without picking up some fat as well (which you can later lose, that is how bodybuilders do it. Whole thing takes a lot of time, though).

Being that he is 20...9% body fat is not shocking.  The kid still has a monster metabolism and works his rear off I'm sure. 

Agreed about Fielder.  He could outrun me in most cases. Weights and heights - who cares.

Just like Patrick Ewing... was not 7 feet tall. 

None of the numbers independently is shocking. 6-1 240 9% body fat taken together is a VERY large man. Like Arnold big (actually bigger, cause it is on a 1 inch smaller frame). I don't see that in Trout's pictures.