MLB Discussion

its a shame he'll get into the HOF and the only guy to ever do it in just MLB is still shunned

I mean, I love Ichiro, hands down one of my favorite MLB players all time and am so excited for him to be the greatest hitter in world baseball history, forever.

i feel the same way about both guys. and to say that the competition isn't the same in japan as it is in the US is a pretty cheap cop-out (to whomever said it) for all the reasons you posted above. basically i love EVERYTHING YOU POSTED MIKE!

but really, how can you dismiss a guy who broke the single-season hits record on top of all his feats? granted it came on the longer schedule, but so did roger maris' home run record. heck, i even looked it up, and maris hit his 61st home run on the 163rd game of the year. i mean how close could he have cut it!

anyway, watching ichiro has been a blast and i hope he still has a couple more years left in the tank. one of my favorite plays ever was when he set up as if he was fielding a routine pop fly... but the ball was crushed and actually went off the wall, and he spun around at the last second and hurled it in and the guy on 2nd who was tagging only reached 3rd. it was genius.

A PTBNL doesn't necessarily mean it wont be a quality player

Ehhh yes and no.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Player_to_be_named_later

I don't know how complete that list is and obviously, they can pan out if guys like Big Papi was a PTBNL. He also had a different career path than most players.

But most of the time, you aren't getting top talent. I guess theoretically you could strike a deal where a team was allowed to pick from the top 10 players in a farm system. It just doesn't really happen. The White Sox will probably get a good double-A prospect, ranked somewhere between 3 and 10 in the rangers system. Just my guess.

Looks like a really good trade for the Rangers to me. Rios' salaries through 2015 are around 13 million. He's not too old. OBP is low, but he makes up for it with a nice power / speed toolset to make his hits count. Produces runs. Gonna do well hitting in that lineup.

Unless the CBA has changed, any player signed less than 1 year prior to the trade must be referred to as a PTBNL. Though I'm not sure I've heard of that being the case just 2 months after the draft. It would be more likely to occur the following offseason, especially since the signing deadline was moved up so far.

All that said, the players sited in that link compose of a much bleaker list than I would have assumed.

The only thing that interests me anymore about the Twins right now is Albers. Dude has been incredible his first two starts.

This is kind of disrespecting Mauer. His batting average alone is probably higher than the average starting catcher's OBP. He's 11th in the AL in WAR this year.

Overpaid? Yes. Never going to match '09? Yep. Still might have another good decade ahead of him and maybe end up in the hall.