NFL Discussion

It could hurt his draft stock a little bit. I could see a team in the Bible Belt passing on him (Dallas, Altlanta, NO), but I don't think he'll drop 20 picks because of it or anything.

It's really no big deal. It'll be nice when this has happened a couple times and no one really cares anymore.

I'd imagine there are going to be more than a few teams who pull him from draft boards.

I love draft time so I actually started reading up about Sam in early January because he looked like a potential target for my Packers. 

While this isn't Jackie Robinson playing in the MLB it's still a long overdue evolution for professional athletics.

ok, i suppose i should have mentioned that that was my impression of any and all comments sections on the internet right now.

i just wish this could go without any and all analysis. applaud him for what he's doing AND LEAVE IT AT THAT. everything else just stirs it up for all the shit bags out there who have entirely too much garbage to spew.

I'd imagine there are going to be more than a few teams who pull him from draft boards.

I love draft time so I actually started reading up about Sam in early January because he looked like a potential target for my Packers.

While this isn't Jackie Robinson playing in the MLB it's still a long overdue evolution for professional athletics.

If he fell a full round I bet every team in the NFL would grab him. Too much money on the line. "Pull him off their draft boards" to me just means "we are knocking him down a little bit and someone else will probably grab him before he's our best available."

Maybe there's a really liberal owner who will actually move him up the draft believing that he showed courage and strength? It's not out of the realm of possibility.

Maybe there's a really liberal owner who will actually move him up the draft believing that he showed courage and strength? It's not out of the realm of possibility.

which would then reflect courage and strength upon the organization.

I just think that there are going to be to many Coaches, General Managers and Owners who end up saying that they don't want to deal with the potential drama that Sam would bring with him.  It's fucked up, but I think there will be quite a few teams that wouldn't touch him if he were sitting there in round 7.  Hopefully I'm wrong.

I was hoping he'd be a target for my Packers in rounds 3-5 and hope he still is.  The Packers need an OLB that make plays, and preferably stay healthy.

Edit -  I'd also say if Jadeveon Clowney came out as homosexual I doubt teams would be dropping him on their boards.  For an elite talent teams would take the added drama that this would bring.  For a guy like Sam who was a 3rd round prospect I think a lot of teams will look at it as not worth the risk.

Not wanting to deal with the media that would go along with it is a pretty legitimate concern to have I think. But some savvy team will swoop in and get a good value.

Do you think Tebow would have been the worst player on a roster last season? No but it's just not worth having him around.

On tebow, yes. He sold a ton of jerseys. He just couldn't play and insisted on being a QB.

Not wanting to deal with the media is not a legitimate reason to discriminate against someone for sexual orientation. You could easily rewind the clock and say the same thing about Alabama in the 60s. Unfortunately it will just be impossible to prove unless a GM lets the wrong thing slip to the media.

I'm pretty anti-Tebow as an NFL QB, but he has a unique skill set that I don't think left him as the would-be worst QB in the league.

I'm not saying it's a legitimate reason to not draft him. But it's going to be held against him. Not to mention that his being gay will be held against him by certain front offices as well.

I don't know if this has been talked about on here but the Aaron Rodgers is gay rumors finally got to a point where he had to admit he is straight this year.  I found it funny the rumors got to that point where he had to address them.

http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/2013/12/aaron-rodgers-gay-rumors-circulate-did-he-and-boyfriend-kevin-la/

im all for this, hopefully his draft status isnt impacted that much, and fuck the teams who worry abotu this issue.  there are homosexual players in the NFL, theres no doubt in my mind.  if he feels his draft value, and monetary income that comes with it, is adversely impacted because he "came out" he should sue those teams/NFL for discriminatory actions, and i'd be all for that, but at this point it might be tough to prove

ugh I hate Mel Kiper. I guess I should be happy that he only crawls out of his hole once a year.

Seriously.  Even his face pisses me off.  

Wasn't there some controversy about him getting paid to hype up certain draft picks a few years back?  I don't remember anything ever coming from that, and Kiper is still spewing his bullshit around draft time.

Seriously. Even his face pisses me off.

Wasn't there some controversy about him getting paid to hype up certain draft picks a few years back? I don't remember anything ever coming from that, and Kiper is still spewing his bullshit around draft time.

We'll he does work for ESPN... That seems to be a primary job role as an analyst

Even though Tebow played (basically) one season, he probably could of got better in time, he is pretty elusive and has an Elway-esque comeback rally.....just not the arm and accuracy to match on a NFL level. He managed to take Denver to the playoffs and if you ever go to Fest....there is a sports bar where the top is just photos of him on the whole top of the bar. I did like the guy, just he lacks whats needed/expected to compete long term. He would be basically a B-side/cut rate Steve Young. Lot of what if and could ofs with Tebow, but an analyst isn't a bad job at all.

We'll he does work for ESPN... That seems to be a primary job role as an analyst

Not really sure what you are trying to say...

But anyway..

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/10/mel-kiper-says-he-never-took-money-from-agents-as-ex-colleague-comes-to-his-defense/1#.UvkKGvldWSo

This was what I was talking about.. he was accused of having his rankings influenced by agents.  Guess it wasn't substantiated as he still works for ESPN and I haven't heard anything about this since.

Could we no longer mention Tim Tebow and football player in the same sentence anymore? Better yet, let's forget about him altogether. I've can't think of another player who has more fans for doing nothing than him. He's no longer in the NFL, and its bad enough ESPN still can't stop jerking off to him.