NFL Discussion

I don't know why teams bother with late first to second round QBs (like EJ Manual). Obviously some have worked out (don't need someone to scream Drew Brees at me). Seems like by far the most likely outcome is that two years later you are going "we spent the pick on this guy. Can't give up on him yet. He's not a franchise guy, though."

If I were a GM, my policy would be to draft a guy in top 10, hopefully top 5 overall, sign a veteran, or hit the lottery on a guy really late. Wouldn't get stuck in the middle.

I don't know why teams bother with late first to second round QBs (like EJ Manual). Obviously some have worked out (don't need someone to scream Drew Brees at me). Seems like by far the most likely outcome is that two years later you are going "we spent the pick on this guy. Can't give up on him yet. He's not a franchise guy, though."

If I were a GM, my policy would be to draft a guy in top 10, hopefully top 5 overall, sign a veteran, or hit the lottery on a guy really late. Wouldn't get stuck in the middle.

You sort of answered your own argument there. The reason why guys are drafted in the late first round is because that player is at the top of their board or there is always the possibility that there is a Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Colin Kaepernick, or even Teddy Bridgewater there. I agree that EJ seemed to be a strange pick from the get go, but I am not a scout whose entire job is to watch and learn everything there is to know about these guys.

Also, your draft board dictates where you're willing to take a guy, this year for example, the consensus is that there are only two QBs worthy of the top of the first round. If you have consecutive years of this you're probably not going to get a first round guy sitting at 10. You could always stretch and take a guy early, but you risk giving up a much better player that you have graded higher (I really doubt that the Vikings had Ponder graded higher than Robert Quinn or Kerrigan in 2011). I just don't think it's as simple as saying, we're always going to take a guy top 10 (even those don't always work out), if not then stick to late round feelers and free agents.

Pats will still take the division, but they suddenly have two much more competitive match ups to face this season.

They also turned down Wilfork's option which has me pretty down today. Any chance they sign him to a new deal?

You sort of answered your own argument there. The reason why guys are drafted in the late first round is because that player is at the top of their board or there is always the possibility that there is a Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Colin Kaepernick, or even Teddy Bridgewater there. I agree that EJ seemed to be a strange pick from the get go, but I am not a scout whose entire job is to watch and learn everything there is to know about these guys.

Also, your draft board dictates where you're willing to take a guy, this year for example, the consensus is that there are only two QBs worthy of the top of the first round. If you have consecutive years of this you're probably not going to get a first round guy sitting at 10. You could always stretch and take a guy early, but you risk giving up a much better player that you have graded higher (I really doubt that the Vikings had Ponder graded higher than Robert Quinn or Kerrigan in 2011). I just don't think it's as simple as saying, we're always going to take a guy top 10 (even those don't always work out), if not then stick to late round feelers and free agents.

I really do think it is that simple -- you recognize that any player could be the next Drew Brees, but you don't draft guys that high that don't look rock solid (ie, top of the draft guys). Decent ends, backers, corners, etc are all valuable to an NFL team. Decent quarterbacks mean you are still looking for a QB.

I really do think it is that simple -- you recognize that any player could be the next Drew Brees, but you don't draft guys that high that don't look rock solid (ie, top of the draft guys). Decent ends, backers, corners, etc are all valuable to an NFL team. Decent quarterbacks mean you are still looking for a QB.

You're just kinda making the assumption that QBs don't develop as all players do. I'd say guys like Rodgers, Romo, and Brady are all clear examples that you can grow tremendously over the years.

You're just kinda making the assumption that QBs don't develop as all players do. I'd say guys like Rodgers, Romo, and Brady are all clear examples that you can grow tremendously over the years.

And two of those guys went after the 5th round.

The assumption isn't that QBs don't grow. The assumption is that the risk/reward of late first and second round QBs is not worth it (even if some do). If a guy doesn't grade out to be a "franchise" guy at the draft, I wouldn't be interested in him, unless we are talking 3rd round or later. Too much great talent at other positions in those rounds to take project Qbs.

I think if Mariota is still there at #6 then the Jets will be trading the pick to the Eagles. Wouldn't be surprised if its for a few #1 picks and possibly Foles.

I hope not. Philly needs to stick with Foles. He's a good smart kid who plays well and has tremendous upside. They need to pour that extra money into the defense. And quickly.