NFL Discussion

I dont get why they kicked directly to hester, and I also dont get why they took 2359027509725 penalties. that was a really good game until the fumble... and then the two 15 yd penalties... i fucking hate how stupid the safeties played. fucking retarded. its going to be an awesome game in green bay in two months, not surprised the bears are 3-0 though.

also, i hate how pass interference places the ball at the spot of the foul instead of a 15 yd from scrimmage like in college.
The counter to this is that if you think you're beat as a cornerback, you can just tackle the man you're supposed to be covering while the ball is in the air.

but then you're still being penalized with 15 yards and 1st down though, it needs to be a penalty, just not a spot-of-the-foul penalty as is.

Say the QB throws a perfect in-step pass 40 yards to a receiver that has a full step on the defender and will most likely catch it for at least that much of a gain. The defender realizes this and weighs his options:

Under the 15-yard penalty rule, he can either play it honest and there is probably a 40 yard gain or more, or he can tackle the player for a 15 yard penalty and an automatic first down.

Under the current rule, he can either play it honest and there is a probably a 40 yard gain, if not more, or he can tackle him down and it's a 40 yard gain.

If the rule is changed, the incentive to take the penalty is much higher. As a football fan, do you find that beneficial to the game?

Say the QB throws a perfect in-step pass 40 yards to a receiver that has a full step on the defender and will most likely catch it for at least that much of a gain. The defender realizes this and weighs his options:

Under the 15-yard penalty rule, he can either play it honest and there is probably a 40 yard gain or more, or he can tackle the player for a 15 yard penalty and an automatic first down.

Under the current rule, he can either play it honest and there is a probably a 40 yard gain, if not more, or he can tackle him down and it's a 40 yard gain.

If the rule is changed, the incentive to take the penalty is much higher. As a football fan, do you find that beneficial to the game?

yes, honestly, I think it would be fine in the NFL to have it be just a 15 yard penalty/1st down. its still a penalty, no team/player is going to purposely go after the receiver to take a penalty to give up a 1st down. it'll take away the play tactic of a late game of throwing deep in HOPES there is a penalty on defense to move them into the redzone. its a cheap loophole in the game, I think.

but to conceed a little bit, what if they had two teirs of penalties, like facemask. you get put at the spot of the foul if its an intentional interference but if its just the defender and receiver running into each other then it would just be the 15 yarder. its something that I think needs to be looked at, in my opinion.

yes, honestly, I think it would be fine in the NFL to have it be just a 15 yard penalty/1st down. its still a penalty, no team/player is going to purposely go after the receiver to take a penalty to give up a 1st down. it'll take away the play tactic of a late game of throwing deep in HOPES there is a penalty on defense to move them into the redzone. its a cheap loophole in the game, I think.

but to conceed a little bit, what if they had two teirs of penalties, like facemask. you get put at the spot of the foul if its an intentional interference but if its just the defender and receiver running into each other then it would just be the 15 yarder. its something that I think needs to be looked at, in my opinion.

You know what, I never thought about that. I think that would be good. If it's incidental or fairly minor, 15 yards and a first would be acceptable. If it's someone blatantly all over the receiver so he can't catch it, it should be the spot of the foul.

i too am sick of teams just launching the ball down the field at the end of a game (or any time, really) in hopes of purposely drawing a pass interference. i dont blame the teams though, its the nfl's fault for allowing it. also agree what they should do is have intentional and unintentional pass interference. if its intentional, then spot the ball where the penalty occurred just like they do now. unintentional (which is what 99.9% of the pass interference calls are) should be a 15 yd penalty and a first down.

hate to be cynical, but i think the nfl likes the penalty as is because it can be a game changer. it creates excitement (or a seriously pissed-off crowd). pretty obvious when an offensive pass interference is only... what? a 10 yr penalty? maybe they should change that rule and spot the ball however many yards back from the line of scrimmage that the penalty occurred from the line of scrimmage. they'd never do that though -- because its not conducive to creating offensive opportunities.

I understand the team is rebuilding and I honestly am happy with the Bills 0-4 record right now. It needs to happen. I however have been selling my tickets while others still have hope and I can get my face value back on them. I have seasons and will probably attend no more then 3 games this year. No real reason to.

I hope we dont start winning games in the middle of the season which will get us no where.

Fuckin Bills, man.

Win the coin toss, then defer. Let them stomp down the field for a TD, then fumble the ensuing kickoff. Luckily they missed the following field goal, but christ, quit sucking so hard.

no shit, i got the hightlights over the course of the game since i was at work. it looked bad, but watching how many times cutler got sacked tonight looked a whole lot worse.... holy shit.