Metallica - Death Magnetic 5xLP

yeah, this has been blown way out of proportion. it sounds loud and gritty. it sounds like a metal record. people will complain about anything and everything apparently. anyone who really believes this record sounds bad with the "clipping" has obviously never heard Cursed I

It doesn't sound loud and gritty, it sounds shitty and brickwalled. Every drumbeat, heavy guitar riff, etc, hits a plateau instead of going to a peak. I can't listen to music that has been butchered like this. It's annoying, and I can listen past this to hear the music.

A metal album doesn't have to be loud and compressed to be a metal album, it just needs to be dynamic, and it helps if the music is good. This has no dynamics.

I downloaded a flac file ripped with eac and ripped my own 320 kbs mp3's hoping it would sound better. It doesn't, it's awful. And now that I hear the vinyl isn't better, I may not buy it.

It's a shame that most people don't care, as long as it's loud...

i dont think the CD sounds bad at all. not unlistenable by any stretch of the imagination. maybe a product of the "loudness wars", but so is every record released by a major label. anyone who listens to punk rock, or underground music in general, should have no issues with the way this record sounds.

I really, really WANT to listen to this album. It reminds me of when "Justice" came out. Everyone was excited, the music was pretty good, and you couldn't go to any of your friends houses without hearing it. But, I CAN'T listen to it. I can't get beyond the shitty compression and the lack of dynamics. I'm sure that 98% of people can, either because they don't care, or have never heard a decent system, in which case, whatever. But for the 2% of us who can hear it, and do care, then this is unlistenable. And that's a shame...

yeah, this has been blown way out of proportion. it sounds loud and gritty. it sounds like a metal record. people will complain about anything and everything apparently. anyone who really believes this record sounds bad with the "clipping" has obviously never heard Cursed I

It doesn't sound loud and gritty, it sounds shitty and brickwalled. Every drumbeat, heavy guitar riff, etc, hits a plateau instead of going to a peak. I can't listen to music that has been butchered like this. It's annoying, and I can listen past this to hear the music.

A metal album doesn't have to be loud and compressed to be a metal album, it just needs to be dynamic, and it helps if the music is good. This has no dynamics.

I downloaded a flac file ripped with eac and ripped my own 320 kbs mp3's hoping it would sound better. It doesn't, it's awful. And now that I hear the vinyl isn't better, I may not buy it.

i dont think the CD sounds bad at all. not unlistenable by any stretch of the imagination. maybe a product of the "loudness wars", but so is every record released by a major label. anyone who listens to punk rock, or underground music in general, should have no issues with the way this record sounds.

I really, really WANT to listen to this album. It reminds me of when "Justice" came out. Everyone was excited, the music was pretty good, and you couldn't go to any of your friends houses without hearing it. But, I CAN'T listen to it. I can't get beyond the shitty compression and the lack of dynamics. I'm sure that 98% of people can, either because they don't care, or have never heard a decent system, in which case, whatever. But for the 2% of us who can hear it, and do care, then this is unlistenable. And that's a shame...

well, we all can't be sound engineers. too bad those of us without discerning ears will have to endure such an awful, awful experience.

and you were 9 when Justice came out.

Everyone cares about recording quality here, you're posting on a vinyl message board after all. But this is far from unlistenable, it just doesn't sound incredible. I very much doubt people across the world are throwing down their headphones in disgust.

i cant say im surprised at the lack of bass on either considering there was practically no bass at all on the original mix

those albums were snare vocals and guitar for the most part

actually, i gotta disagree with you on that. IMO, Justice is the only album that lacks bass. Kill, Ride and Puppets all have the bass prominent in the original mixes.

IIRC justice doesn't have ANY bass on the record at all.

Is nine years old too young to listen to Metallica? I was in fifth grade, and all of my friends were skaters and most had older brothers and sisters, so it wasn't uncommon for us to listen to good music. And this is before Kids Bop... Sorry if you were listening to crap when you were nine.

Picked up the CD today. Listened to it a couple of times already and have to say that I like it. It's close to redemption from the debacle that was St. Anger.

I'm still finding it hard to understand what the deal is with the mixing issue and being "brick-walled"...but whatever...

MASTERED BY MUPPETS

End of session day, Rubin works away:

I'm your source of song-destruction

Tunes that hurt you ear, poor sound engineer

Leaving spikes on my instruction

Trust me you will see

Volumes all you need

Dedicated to

How I'll limit you

Compressing faster

Limit your Master

Your albums sell faster

With a loud Master

Master

Mastered by muppets, brickwalling your dreams

Clipping, distorting and smashing extremes

Ruined by me, you can't hear a thing

Just spiking snares, and auto-tuned screams

Mastered

Mastered

Rubins my name, and I'll hear you scream

Bastard

Bastard

Need to mix this way, never you dismay

Loud makes death magnetic clearer

Gain monopoly, ritual Waves L3

Squash your tracks til its severe

Gate and you will see

More and more dB

Dedicated to

How Im killing you

Compressing faster

Limit your Master

Your albums sell faster

With a loud Master

Master

Mastered by muppets, brickwalling your dreams

Clipping, distorting and smashing extremes

Ruined by me, you can't hear a thing

Just spiking snares, and auto-tuned screams

Mastered

Mastered

Rubins my name, and I'll hear you scream

Bastard

Bastard

Master, Master, where's the version I've been after?

Bearded, Bastard, you promised only lies

Blaster, Blaster, recorded on a ghetto blaster?

Laughter, laughter, laughing at those highs

Spike to me!

Lars aint worth all that natural kick and hats

Kirk adds wah without a reason

Never ending phrase, Jaymz goes on for days

Rob, your shirt is out of season

Ill record til 5 (then)

I will help you buy

Sandals that suit you

Now you look cool too

Is nine years old too young to listen to Metallica? I was in fifth grade, and all of my friends were skaters and most had older brothers and sisters, so it wasn't uncommon for us to listen to good music. And this is before Kids Bop... Sorry if you were listening to crap when you were nine.

i was 5 when this record came out and i still have fond memories of it rocking my fucking baby socks off man, ever heard of older brothers?

• 1 month later...