Metallica - Death Magnetic 5xLP

i DO hope this new album will be Master-ish but they said the same thing about St Anger.....

That's true.. But one thing that people don't take into account is the fact that Rick Rubin is producing this record. If anyone can take them back to their roots, it's him. Just look at Ruben's track record as far as producing. I can't remember a time when I was totally disapointed with his work. SO that's another plus in my book.

If you have been keeping up with their fly on the wall studio videos then you know this album will be dope.. they took it back to trash, which is where they should have stayed.

"[Rubin's] mission statement was to get to the essence of Metallica," Hetfield said. "He told us, 'Think back to Master Of Puppets — what were you doing? What were you thinking? What were your influences? What bothered you? What was around you? Where did that hunger come from?'

I can't fucking wait.

drinking ungodly amounts of booze.

Very true. i dont' think there was a picture of them at that time that didn't have a bottle of JACK DANIELS near them..

Black album was pretty good, but you can totally see how much of an influence bob rock was.

i really like the black album...but the B side of that record is awesome...really dark songs, not too many of the hits and not a lot of hooks...but some dark punishing songs.

I think all the b sides from that album were covers.

So, I browse Soulseek for it and there is "apparent" downloads of the "Demo". Being curious I download it and I'm listening to it today and it sure sounds like its Metallica but the lyrical content is religious. Either they have gone Christian or there is a Christian band out there that sounds a LOT like them. I was just shaking my head listening to it saying "Ok, this IS good and thrashy but just a bit hollow."

just listened to Day That Never Came. if this is an indication of the quality we can expect from Death Magnetic, I'm wont be downloading it, let alone buying this 5LP thing.

thoroughly disappointed. but really, what were we to expect? hitting the glorious heights of their early career? no chance. this is so dull i just about fell asleep. and the piling of riff upon riff at the end of the song just adds more grim laughter to the festivities.

just listened to Day That Never Came. if this is an indication of the quality we can expect from Death Magnetic, I'm wont be downloading it, let alone buying this 5LP thing.

thoroughly disappointed. but really, what were we to expect? hitting the glorious heights of their early career? no chance. this is so dull i just about fell asleep. and the piling of riff upon riff at the end of the song just adds more grim laughter to the festivities.

Really? I guess I had the exact opposite feeling. Sure, it doesn't sound like Ride the Lightning, but this is the best stuff they've done in 18 years. As far as new songs go, it was pretty good. More like this album should have come out after the black album.

i guess, but it is probably due to my thinking that the last even listenable thing they did was the black album, the last GOOD thing being Justice for All. i guess i'm stuck in the 80s when it comes to Metallica.

true, it probably could've come out after black, but still, there are a number of songs on black that have a lot of grit and angst to them - this song is harmless pop/rock and pretty tired.

oh well, its probably just me anyways. stuck in the Metalli80s.

• 3 weeks later...

It's almost as good as ... And Justice for All. And that's a good thing. This is the only listenable Metallica in 20 years. If you like the first four, this is as good as it's going to get. And I HATE everything past Justice. So yeah, worth checking out.

I'm just wondering how many of the 5XLP sets they made...

yeah, this is almost on par with Justice, which blows my fucking mind to think i'm actually saying that about a new Metallica record.

i think the only song i have an issue with is Cyanide. it's a little too bouncy and modern. not entirely unlistenable, but definitely the track that jolts you back to reality that this isnt 1988 Metallica.

track 3, i think it's called Broken, Beat, and Scarred, sort of has a funky feel too, but it's a much stronger song and it's probably one of my favorites on the record.

it'll be interesting to see how this sells. obviously a lot of older Metallica fans are completely indifferent at this point, and none of these songs sound like they're a good fit for radio play.

Pretty excited for this as well.

The one store in Turnersville NJ (Tunes) was supposed to have it today but no dice. I was told tomorrow and they'll "apparently" have a few copies of the 2LP. We'll see.......

Amazon has it so I should just order it there. I just want that whole "I bought the new Metallica RECORD" feeling from getting it at an actual store.

All Nightmare Long and This Was Your Life are pretty freakin' good songs. I get the chill like its 1988 all over again.

Pretty excited for this as well.

The one store in Turnersville NJ (Tunes) was supposed to have it today but no dice. I was told tomorrow and they'll "apparently" have a few copies of the 2LP. We'll see.......

Amazon has it so I should just order it there. I just want that whole "I bought the new Metallica RECORD" feeling from getting it at an actual store.

All Nightmare Long and This Was Your Life are pretty freakin' good songs. I get the chill like its 1988 all over again.

it's weird that you say that. the first few listens, i got that same feeling as well. i had completely forgotten what it felt like to hear a great Metallica record for the first time.

it'll be interesting to see how this sells.

Hahaha, it's obviously gonna be #1 on the charts. Especially if they combine all the sales of all the versions of the release. I know people who hate Metallica that are buying the deluxe coffin set just cause they will be able to resell it for double in a couple months.