Metallica - Death Magnetic 5xLP

The true Metallica died w/ Cliff Burton.

Im gonna have to agree with this too... And Justice was a good album, don't get me wrong, but they peaked at Master of Puppets. they were still proving themselves at that point. Cliff was probably the contributing factor to their success as he was one of the major songwriters in that band. Some of their most well known songs like Master of Puppets, Orion, Fight Fire with Fire, etc etc.. ALL CLIFF.

To tell you the truth, The "ONE" video was the nail in the coffin at that point. The band said they would never do a music video, and they did, and that's where it all started going down hill. Before you know it there were fucking FRAT and Sorority peeps spouting off Metallica lyrics like there was no tomorrow. and with the influx of popularity, their music kinda went stagnant. They knew they were big now and didn't need to prove anything, so they got complacent and that was that...

Like people said... Metallica died with Cliff Burton...

[image]

5 records with 2 songs per record at 45prm is a little excessive. you'd expect the sound quality to be extraordinary. but seeing as the double LP reissues of Kill, Ride and Master were pretty crappy. i wouldn't drop the money for this.

I think the reissues are pretty solid, why do you think they are crappy?

i bought Ride and Master and they both sounded pretty thin to me. both lack bass and the midrange seemed to have been boosted. i returned both of them. i'm sticking to the Rhino box set that came out a few years back. the mastering and fidelity is better on those pressings.

Im gonna have to agree with this too... And Justice was a good album, don't get me wrong, but they peaked at Master of Puppets. they were still proving themselves at that point. Cliff was probably the contributing factor to their success as he was one of the major songwriters in that band. Some of their most well known songs like Master of Puppets, Orion, Fight Fire with Fire, etc etc.. ALL CLIFF.

To tell you the truth, The "ONE" video was the nail in the coffin at that point. The band said they would never do a music video, and they did, and that's where it all started going down hill. Before you know it there were fucking FRAT and Sorority peeps spouting off Metallica lyrics like there was no tomorrow. and with the influx of popularity, their music kinda went stagnant. They knew they were big now and didn't need to prove anything, so they got complacent and that was that...

[image]

So they made a video who fucking cares? It was 7+ minutes and dark as hell. Exactly what you expect of a video from Metallica. People change their damn minds.

As for Cliff being a major songwriter I'll have to take argument with that too. He helped write instrumentals, of which Orion was a killer one but to say he helped write a ton of the songs is pretty far off as memory serves. Hetfield wrote most all the songs primarily with help interchangeably from Hammet, Mustaine, Lars, and Burton.

Lastly, while its tiring to listen to frat boy douche bags and sorority sister airheads that should in no way affect how good a band is.

I think the reissues are pretty solid, why do you think they are crappy?

i bought Ride and Master and they both sounded pretty thin to me. both lack bass and the midrange seemed to have been boosted. i returned both of them. i'm sticking to the Rhino box set that came out a few years back. the mastering and fidelity is better on those pressings.

i cant say im surprised at the lack of bass on either considering there was practically no bass at all on the original mix

those albums were snare vocals and guitar for the most part

i cant say im surprised at the lack of bass on either considering there was practically no bass at all on the original mix

those albums were snare vocals and guitar for the most part

actually, i gotta disagree with you on that. IMO, Justice is the only album that lacks bass. Kill, Ride and Puppets all have the bass prominent in the original mixes.

[image]

So they made a video who fucking cares? It was 7+ minutes and dark as hell. Exactly what you expect of a video from Metallica. People change their damn minds.

As for Cliff being a major songwriter I'll have to take argument with that too. He helped write instrumentals, of which Orion was a killer one but to say he helped write a ton of the songs is pretty far off as memory serves. Hetfield wrote most all the songs primarily with help interchangeably from Hammet, Mustaine, Lars, and Burton.

Lastly, while its tiring to listen to frat boy douche bags and sorority sister airheads that should in no way affect how good a band is.

Yea, but they were adament about it.. Sorta like if a Vegan gave you shit about eating meat for years, then one day you see him/her at a mcdonalds eating 2 big macs and a large fries, and a coke.. Most people would probably say something...

Let's go down the list... Kill Em' All - All MUSTAINE'S. He got the credit for that..... Burton only had 1 credit, and that was Anesthesia (pulling teeth)... WHich Burton was classically trained, so he added alot of techniques that were normally akin to guitar at the time.. tapping, etc etc..

Ride the Lighting... Burton has 6 or 7 partial writing credits to this album... He was also well advanced in music theory and ahead of everyone else in the band... he was a major influence on how those songs were structured.

Master of Puppets.. he didn't have as much writing credit to this album, but his influence was well heard, and this is probably one of their best..

and lastly, yes the dumbasses that listen to a band should now way inluence my liking on them, but like i said.. once their popularity grew, they got a bit big headed.. they knew they made it...and that's when they became complacent...

Yea, but they were adament about it.. Sorta like if a Vegan gave you shit about eating meat for years, then one day you see him/her at a mcdonalds eating 2 big macs and a large fries, and a coke.. Most people would probably say something...

Let's go down the list... Kill Em' All - All MUSTAINE'S. He got the credit for that..... Burton only had 1 credit, and that was Anesthesia (pulling teeth)... WHich Burton was classically trained, so he added alot of techniques that were normally akin to guitar at the time.. tapping, etc etc..

Ride the Lighting... Burton has 6 or 7 partial writing credits to this album... He was also well advanced in music theory and ahead of everyone else in the band... he was a major influence on how those songs were structured. You can hear it in "The Call of Ktulu"

Master of Puppets.. he didn't have as much writing credit to this album, but his influence was well heard, and this is probably one of their best..

and lastly, yes the dumbasses that listen to a band should now way inluence my liking on them, but like i said.. once their popularity grew, they got a bit big headed.. they knew they made it...and that's when they became complacent...

Dude, Mustaine got credit on one song on Kill 'Em All - the Four Horsemen because it was a take-off on the Mechanix, which Metallica wrote and then became a Megadeth song.

I would argue if they were complacent you would have never gotten Load. Like it or not it was a massive departure and not necessarily the "easy" way out, which would have been writing more albums like the S/T one.

Well and there's this:

Burton's influence was still heard on ...And Justice For All. And he had writing credit for "To Live Is To Die" on that album.

i don't think their the change in their songwriting was a conscious effort to "gain more fans". i just watched A Year and a 1/2 in the Life of... on DVD for the first time in nearly 15 years and they basically decided to try writing shorter songs because after touring for Justice, they realized they didn't like playing long songs. writing songs that were more to the point allowed the songs to be more accessible to the mainstream.

Ride the Lighting... Burton has 6 or 7 partial writing credits to this album... He was also well advanced in music theory and ahead of everyone else in the band... he was a major influence on how those songs were structured. You can hear it in "The Call of Ktulu"

Dude, Mustaine got credit on one song on Kill 'Em All - the Four Horsemen because it was a take-off on the Mechanix, which Metallica wrote and then became a Megadeth song.

Well and there's this:

Burton's influence was still heard on ...And Justice For All. And he had writing credit for "To Live Is To Die" on that album.

Actually Mustaine bitched about how he partially wrote alot of the songs on the KILL EM ALL and was never credited for. Something Metallica doesn't deny either....hmmmmm. I have to side with mustaine on that one.. you can hear his influence on that album... it's all about the speed metal..lol

And the writing credit was due to the fact that they used alot of his partial songs...sorta of a montage of unused burton riffs...

I still think MASTER OF PUPPETS was their best album to date.. And Justice was fucking good, but not their best work... After that....all down hill. Im not saying they went downhill becuase they became a slower band or whatnot.. I just didn't think the songwriting was any good> I still listen to every album in hopes something will come out of it, but i have since only heard one song past AND JUSTICE that i liked, but i can't remember what it is..

Their live tour during the PUPPETS tour was also alot more intense... club shows were so much better than coliseum or Arena shows...i loved the early 80's

some of you really have no clue what your talking about..

Than share with us your wisdom, please. ;D

yeah seriously, I think the majority of this conversation has been pretty well thought out and not a stupid typical "message board festival of stupid comments and irrational disagreements."

I don't own anything past the black album, but I like a lot of the radio singles from the Load records...and a lot of the covers from Garage Inc, can't say anything sine then has even been heard...i think the only thing I've heard since Garage Inc is the Ennio Morriconne cover song they did for that tribute CD...no I take that back, I've heard some but not all of the Symphonic record stuff too.

I havent liked any of their albums since Ride the Lightning. I think now with a crazy new bass player they might have some steam going with playing their thrashier shit...

Just watched Some Kind of Monster for the first time and I cant believe what a flaming piece of flying shit the creation of that album was...Im surprised I made it all the way through that horrible film. Lars Ulrichs dad was the only good part where he said "If I was the producer, I would...I would delete that"

and that he looked like an ancient wizard.

metallica will always hold a special place in my heart. i spent my formative years with the first 5 albums and at the time, there was nothing better. their whole work ethos up until the release of the One single was really laudible.

unfortunately, i think the black album has aged a lot whilst the first 4 remain pretty well timeless.

i have listened to every album they have released, but i find the post-black stuff to be very dull, unimaginative and music-by-numbers to appease the crowds. i DO hope this new album will be Master-ish but they said the same thing about St Anger.....

that monster film was a joke. i personally think its a big mistake to let everyone on the planet inside your 'bandworld' because any last remnants of chimera the band have developed get completely destroyed. youre left with the shattered remains of 4 dumb goons who cant string a sentence together and unfortunately have great difficulty writing a tune.

metallica will always hold a special place in my heart. i spent my formative years with the first 5 albums and at the time, there was nothing better. their whole work ethos up until the release of the One single was really laudible.

unfortunately, i think the black album has aged a lot whilst the first 4 remain pretty well timeless.

i have listened to every album they have released, but i find the post-black stuff to be very dull, unimaginative and music-by-numbers to appease the crowds. i DO hope this new album will be Master-ish but they said the same thing about St Anger.....

that monster film was a joke. i personally think its a big mistake to let everyone on the planet inside your 'bandworld' because any last remnants of chimera the band have developed get completely destroyed. youre left with the shattered remains of 4 dumb goons who cant string a sentence together and unfortunately have great difficulty writing a tune.

Yea, you really need camera's showing you how much of a bunch of jerks you really are, right. :P Well minus Hammett.. We all now know who the "wuss" of the band is.. In a million years i never would have thought they would have picked up Robert Trujillo. That guy is a awesome bass player, and i remember him from the later SUICIDAL days. But i never would have thought in a million years he'd be playing with Metallica.. Two different styles i guess. But I'm sure he's jut a hired hand at this point. Don't quote me though..

[image]

don't forget the call of ktulu! :]

If you have been keeping up with their fly on the wall studio videos then you know this album will be dope.. they took it back to trash, which is where they should have stayed.

"[Rubin's] mission statement was to get to the essence of Metallica," Hetfield said. "He told us, 'Think back to Master Of Puppets — what were you doing? What were you thinking? What were your influences? What bothered you? What was around you? Where did that hunger come from?'

I can't fucking wait.

drinking ungodly amounts of booze.