My Record Cleaning DIY Mix/Method

Hey everybody, so im new to vinyl as of this year and have watched countless videos and read a decent amount on cleaning solutions. I was hoping to share my diy solution/cleaning methods that I've developed and see what you guys think.

So I will start off by stating that I did buy a record doctor VI and I had started cleaning my records with only the solution and brush provided with the record doctor. This got the records a bit shiny but didnt seem to help with surface noise and removing grease/stains/finger prints off the record. I knew I had to use something more abrasive to scrub with so I ended up buying one of those trim painting pads. That still didnt seem to make much of a difference so I started looking into mixing my own solution.

I will also state that I use 2 tile suction cups on the records now and then i spray with my diy solution over my slop sink in the basement, scrub with the painting trim pad going with the grooves, and then rinse with distilled water. Then finally, i take it to my record doctor and vacuum dry for the final step. I have been using this same method with every solution I mix up. So the only thing thats changing is the diy mix.

The first solution I mixed up was 1/3 of 70% isopropyl alcohol and 2/3 distilled water with a couple drops of dawn dish soap. This seemed a bit better than what came with the record doctor but still didnt seem to clean the records as well as im seeing in videos on youtube and such. So after that bottle was used up, I moved on to using Witch Hazel which some old hippie at a record shop in NC told me about. I figured why not give it a try.

2nd solution now turned into 50% witch hazel, 50% distilled water and a couple drops of dish soap again. I added a bit too much soap this time as I was getting a lot of suds lol. Still rinsing with distilled water and then vacuum drying. Again, not getting rid of grease and other markings on the records as i had hoped.

3rd solution I now have is 50/50 of distilled water and 70%isopropyl alcohol but im now adding some jet dry rinse aid. This seems to be the best mix out of the 3 so far but im still not getting the records as clean as i know they can be. Im thinking that Im not leaving the solution on long enough and i may need a new scrubbing tool. I pretty much immediately begin scrubbing after i spray it with the solution.

So what do you guys think? I will say that using the jet dry has caused me to have to use a lot more distilled water to rinse with now. Im thinking that I can actually rinse with water to get most of the mix off and then finish with distilled water. I don't see the use in wasting a ton of distilled water when im vacuum drying after anyways. for some reason that jet dry is making the records harder to rinse off. Do you guys see a problem with rinsing with water and then finishing with distilled water?

A soft brush can usually handle any dust that settles on a vinyl record. But how can listeners deal with more tenacious dirt and grime?

The Library of Congress shares a recipe for a cleaning solution of 2 mL of Dow Chemical’s Tergitol 15-S-7 in 4 L of deionized water. C&EN spoke with Paula Cameron, a technical service manager with Dow, to learn about the chemistry that helps the Tergitol surfactant get into—and out of—the groove.

Molecules in Tergitol 15-S-7 possess hydrophobic hydrocarbon chains that are between 11 and 15 carbon atoms long. The S means it’s a secondary alcohol, so there’s a hydroxyl jutting from the midsection of the hydrocarbon chain to connect it to a hydrophilic chain of repeating ethylene oxide units.

Finally, the 7 is a measure of how many moles of ethylene oxide are in the surfactant. The greater the number, the more water-soluble the compound is. Seven is squarely in the water-soluble category, Cameron says. Furthermore, she adds, the surfactant doesn’t become viscous or gel-like when mixed with water.

The end result is a mild, fast-rinsing surfactant that can get in and out of grooves quickly, Cameron explains. The bad news for vinyl audiophiles who might want to try this at home is that Dow typically doesn’t sell surfactants directly to consumers. Their customers are generally companies who make cleaning products.

Sadly Cameron doesn’t know of a consumer product that has similar properties. And the Library of Congress doesn’t guarantee this solution will satisfy all users.

Sometimes googling your questions is better than going to every forum under the sun and getting people to give smart answers.

But what do I know...😕

12 hours ago, faaip de oiad said:

A soft brush can usually handle any dust that settles on a vinyl record. But how can listeners deal with more tenacious dirt and grime?

The Library of Congress shares a recipe for a cleaning solution of 2 mL of Dow Chemical’s Tergitol 15-S-7 in 4 L of deionized water. C&EN spoke with Paula Cameron, a technical service manager with Dow, to learn about the chemistry that helps the Tergitol surfactant get into—and out of—the groove.

Molecules in Tergitol 15-S-7 possess hydrophobic hydrocarbon chains that are between 11 and 15 carbon atoms long. The S means it’s a secondary alcohol, so there’s a hydroxyl jutting from the midsection of the hydrocarbon chain to connect it to a hydrophilic chain of repeating ethylene oxide units.

Finally, the 7 is a measure of how many moles of ethylene oxide are in the surfactant. The greater the number, the more water-soluble the compound is. Seven is squarely in the water-soluble category, Cameron says. Furthermore, she adds, the surfactant doesn’t become viscous or gel-like when mixed with water.

The end result is a mild, fast-rinsing surfactant that can get in and out of grooves quickly, Cameron explains. The bad news for vinyl audiophiles who might want to try this at home is that Dow typically doesn’t sell surfactants directly to consumers. Their customers are generally companies who make cleaning products.

Sadly Cameron doesn’t know of a consumer product that has similar properties. And the Library of Congress doesn’t guarantee this solution will satisfy all users.

Sometimes googling your questions is better than going to every forum under the sun and getting people to give smart answers.

But what do I know...😕

oh boy, thats an extremely detailed answer.  thanks.  i want to look into this further.  

and what fun would google be when we have awesome forums like this🍻

On 8/4/2023 at 10:47 PM, faaip de oiad said:

The bad news for vinyl audiophiles who might want to try this at home is that Dow typically doesn’t sell surfactants directly to consumers. Their customers are generally companies who make cleaning products.

Sadly Cameron doesn’t know of a consumer product that has similar properties. And the Library of Congress doesn’t guarantee this solution will satisfy all users.

But what do I know...😕

Doesn’t seem that helpful if you actually read it.