Kacey Musgraves - Deeper Well (out on 3/14)

• 3 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Of course I'd get super excited to see early Wednesday morning a shipping notification from Interscope for the Spotify variant I pre-ordered...yet...it still showing in the 'label created' stage with FedEx today 😑

That's honestly why, for artists I know should have an indie variant at my local shop on release day, I'll just pick it up then. Idk why, if product is in-hand, that they're not shipping it at least 3-4 business days ahead of time. Who gives a shit if someone rips it to the internet early. Does that even make anyone mad anymore????

Listened to the album a couple of times today. Not sure about it. Something feels off to me. It’s like it’s too shiny & glossy & maybe overproduced in its sound. It reminded me of what Country music sounded like in the 80’s and part of the 90’s as it was trying to forcefully appeal to the pop mainstream & ignoring its roots & sound. 

I've also listened to it a few times, and I'm not listening thinking of country at all. Sounds more folky pop. Not blown away, but still enjoying it for a nice, mellow listen.

On another note, if you're looking for some good Americana, I'd recommend Gabe Lee's new album. I saw a recommendation from the singer of American Aquarium and the album really grew on me.

On 3/15/2024 at 7:15 PM, lexicondevil said:

I've also listened to it a few times, and I'm not listening thinking of country at all. Sounds more folky pop. Not blown away, but still enjoying it for a nice, mellow listen.

On another note, if you're looking for some good Americana, I'd recommend Gabe Lee's new album. I saw a recommendation from the singer of American Aquarium and the album really grew on me.

This is great and to piggyback on this post and Kacey. An artist I work with would fit in with this crowd - Jon Charles Dwyer.  We have done three LPs for Jon and hopefully his next record too. 

We just released his EP Chorus on LP (to fill it out we remastered a 2018 EP Never Lets Up on the B side) and the third press of his album Junebug.

This is from the newest EP.

This is from his second album Junebug:

Cardinal = 5.5/10

Deeper Well = 6/10

Too Good to be True = 6.5/10

Moving Out = 6/10

Giver / Taker = 8.5/10

Sway = 6/10

Dinner with Friends = 5.5/10

Heart of the Woods = 6.5/10

Jade Green = 6.5/10

The Architect = 9/10

Lonely Millionaire = 7/10

Heaven Is = 8/10

Anime Eyes = 7/10

Nothing to be Scared Of = 7/10

Overall Average = 6.7

Lol. Pitchfork gave it a 6.8, the average i came up with was exactly 6.78, so yea, makes sense.

Overall, I enjoyed this album much much more than star-crossed. But it still fell short of my expectations of her 'returning to form'. "Deeper Well" and "Too Good to be True" would've gotten higher scores if that damn vocal treatment choice would've been non-existent. I feel like Kacey has such a beautiful voice. No effect at all is needed imo, with maybe some reverb at the very most (see the latter tracks). And although a bit cheesy here and there, the collective spiritual vibe is ok, didn't bother me like it may others.