To CD or not to CD?

The CD is a dead format! ;D

I prop. would pay some bucks, depending on how much we are talking about and what band.

E.g. I would buy the new Metalica record but not the CD, but when it comes to the Gaslight A. I would buy the CD and the record.....just for supportitive reasons...

I will never ever pay money for an mp3 / Digital Download ......

and actually I do not understand the people who are already doing this.....

But maybe that´s the future I don´t know....

I always buy CD's aswell as vinyl anyway, I'm not too keen on downloads. Like to have a hard copy in case my hard drive sets on fire or a cat pisses onmy computer.

Why not download and then burn to a data cd/dvd or have an external harddrive as back up? Thats what I do at least.

I don't know about him, but for me it's the difference between audio files and compressed music formats (mp3, aac, etc) .

I don't get why it has to be $2. To press even 1000 CDs costs less than $600. If all you're doing is throwing a disc in the LP sleeve, why isn't $1 extra sufficient?

Record labels are businesses, and generally businesses are out to make money. (Even if said money is used solely to fund future releases)

I voted yes. It's a nice convenience having a CD, as I've got some records I'd love to have on my iPod, but unfortunately don't own the CD, or don't have a means of ripping it. I usually buy CDs, but recently Ive been having a harder time finding the ones I want.

I'd rather have a CD than a digital download. As mentioned earlier, the mp3's are usually shitty 128 or 192. Hell, even the rare V0 is usually a shitty iTunes rip. At least with a CD you can convert to V0, 320, or Flac.

Paying for compressed music is lame.

I'd rather rip my vinyl anyway. It's cooler to have the actual rip of my vinyl available. And it usually sounds better because CD's are overly compressed.

I always buy CD's aswell as vinyl anyway, I'm not too keen on downloads. Like to have a hard copy in case my hard drive sets on fire or a cat pisses onmy computer.

Why not download and then burn to a data cd/dvd or have an external harddrive as back up? Thats what I do at least.

I like CD's as much as vinyl, I like to have the artwork and the complete package. Downloads just don't cut it for me. Although the first thing I do is rip a CD to my hard drive and then burn a copy for my car, after that It just sits on my shelf

I don't get why it has to be $2. To press even 1000 CDs costs less than $600. If all you're doing is throwing a disc in the LP sleeve, why isn't $1 extra sufficient?

throwing in a CD-R is even cheaper, I just hate downloads cause usually they are in 128kb or 192kb and sound like shit compared to the 320kb

cdr's are actually more expensive and there shitty.

I still buy CDs, I don't get when people say that they never ever buy CDs, is every single album they want readily available on vinyl?

And I like the idea of a CD with the vinyl, it means I don't have to search for a download link and also means I can listen to it in the car. It's a good idea.