question about colored pressings

to make any color vinyl opaque, white is added . with any color vinyl where white or black are added, there will be variations in color and streaks and its probably pretty random. when black is added to a transparent color, its not unusual for the color to get darker as the pressing goes on and sometimes even kill the color out entirely.

generally, there is nothing in those variations that would make one more valuable than another (at least in my opinion. there are some super-nerds who would disagree), unless it is a variation in the middle of a color change. for instance, the Misfits "Legacy of Brutality" LP. there were both red and white lps pressed, but 16 of them were pink from the color change. when i was doing the Passive Fist label, i had the second pressing of the In/Humanity "The Nutty Antichrist" LP pressed without having the boomers cleaned and between the yellow and red copies, we got 20 on orange vinyl. (i did this because i liked how the super rare misfits vinyl came about and i also wanted to avoid paying the color change fee, something they don't waive for me anymore).

to make any color vinyl opaque, white is added . with any color vinyl where white or black are added, there will be variations in color and streaks and its probably pretty random. when black is added to a transparent color, its not unusual for the color to get darker as the pressing goes on and sometimes even kill the color out entirely.

generally, there is nothing in those variations that would make one more valuable than another (at least in my opinion. there are some super-nerds who would disagree), unless it is a variation in the middle of a color change. for instance, the Misfits "Legacy of Brutality" LP. there were both red and white lps pressed, but 16 of them were pink from the color change. when i was doing the Passive Fist label, i had the second pressing of the In/Humanity "The Nutty Antichrist" LP pressed without having the boomers cleaned and between the yellow and red copies, we got 20 on orange vinyl. (i did this because i liked how the super rare misfits vinyl came about and i also wanted to avoid paying the color change fee, something they don't waive for me anymore).

well im actually talking about the misfits record 3 hits from hell. the pressing is supposed to be white but i have like 5 spots where there is black streaking.

i have been told that this makes it more rare. that is all.

Sounds like you're just asking about transitions in the colors. Like when they're pressing the vinyl from one color and then switching to another.

yeah thats what im asking but then does that make the record more rare in some cases. i understand that some color can get mixed into the next pressing and leave streaks in that color or alter the color period, but does it add value to that record?

If that is the case then I feel that it's really subjective.

A couple of examples that I can think of are:

The 4th press of Minus the Bear - Highly Refine Pirates "purple" which yielded about 17 copies when they transitioned from red to blue in the press (Virgil and anyone else feel free to correct me)...

[image]

and

The clear to black of Further Seems Forever - The Moon Is Down which yielded a smokey one:

[image]

And I have a Get Up Kids - Four Minute Mile on translucent yellow which has a black streak/smoke cloud on it

[image]

I'm sure there are plenty more of examples out there...but it's always bound to happen. As far as you question pertaining value...it's all subjective...there's no real "guideline" or "worth" to it unless truly acknowledged by the powers-that-be...whomever they may be...

or something like that...

If that is the case then I feel that it's really subjective.

A couple of examples that I can think of are:

The 4th press of Minus the Bear - Highly Refine Pirates "purple" which yielded about 17 copies when they transitioned from red to blue in the press (Virgil and anyone else feel free to correct me)...

[image]

and

The clear to black of Further Seems Forever - The Moon Is Down which yielded a smokey one:

[image]

And I have a Get Up Kids - Four Minute Mile on translucent yellow which has a black streak/smoke cloud on it

[image]

I'm sure there are plenty more of examples out there...but it's always bound to happen. As far as you question pertaining value...it's all subjective...there's no real "guideline" or "worth" to it unless truly acknowledged by the powers-that-be...whomever they may be...

or something like that...

those are some great examples...........i wish my fsf looked liked that. that is sweet lookin.

I had a Modern Life Is War/Kill Your Idols split 7" that looked similar the the Get Up Kids record with a little bit of smoke that Juan posted. I sold it on ebay and tried to emphasize the smoke variant. It didn't sell for any more than it normally would have with no smoke at all. So in my experience, little variants like that did not effect the value at all.

I think it would depend on if the label/band acknowledged the small amount of records with the smoke/streaks in it. For example, if Juan were to sell that Minus The Bear record, it would go for tons because it's been officially acknowledged as being "purple out of 17." But since Doghouse never gave any specifics for that Get Up Kids LP, a gold with black streaks LP would be the same as a gold LP.