NHL Discussion

NHL 14 comes out today...who's getting it?!

Back on topic, I'm so fucking stoked for this season. Oilers need to make the playoffs or I will cry. Their division is extremely tough though. Looking for Anaheim and Vancouver to slip significantly, and Phoenix and Calgary to suck.

For all you Anaheim fans, just look at their disproportionally high shooting percentage, and their record in the second half of the season where factors of an 82 game season that will be much more significant in a full season, began to set in.

NHL 14 comes out today...who's getting it?!

Back on topic, I'm so fucking stoked for this season. Oilers need to make the playoffs or I will cry. Their division is extremely tough though. Looking for Anaheim and Vancouver to slip significantly, and Phoenix and Calgary to suck.

For all you Anaheim fans, just look at their disproportionally high shooting percentage, and their record in the second half of the season where factors of an 82 game season that will be much more significant in a full season, began to set in.

Anaheim will be good again for sure, they dished off Ryan for picks and players that will make them much better for longer. They'll be in the top 6 of the west. 

Don't underestimate the Coyotes this year. I see them as likely the biggest shock to most people this coming season. Dave Tippet gets the best out of a lot of guys. Ribero will thrive under his guidance, Ekman-Larsson and Yandle are a dynamite defensive pairing, Smith is playing for a VERY wide open starting position on team Canada in the Olympics and they do have some depth now up front (Ribero, Doan, Korpikopski, Boedker, Hanzel and Domi). They could just be the perfect storm this year and things could click.

Oilers on the other hand are still a mess of kids with no real guidance. Ference was a great pick up but they still don't have a goaltender or a captain. I thought for sure they'd jump on Brendan Morrow. Still unsigned and enough grit and leadership to finally get those projected superstars to go in the corners every once in a while. 

Crawford was considered a weak link before last season. Then he went out and put up a 19-5-5 record with a 1.94 GA that he lowered to 1.8 in the playoffs. He already had his sophomore slump. Too early to say he's great but he's got plenty of years to prove it behind a solid defense.

As much as I hate to agree with parkinglot (namely due to his distaste for anaheim), crawfords glove was an invitation for goals in the playoffs. If we worked on that aspect, he'd go back up to a solid goaltender in my book. Not quite J Quick status, but solid none the less.

As much as I hate to agree with parkinglot (namely due to his distaste for anaheim), crawfords glove was an invitation for goals in the playoffs. If we worked on that aspect, he'd go back up to a solid goaltender in my book. Not quite J Quick status, but solid none the less.

Haha, I don't strongly dislike Anaheim, but you can't like a team that's in the same division as your home team. I'd take Anaheim over la any day.

Crawford was considered a weak link before last season. Then he went out and put up a 19-5-5 record with a 1.94 GA that he lowered to 1.8 in the playoffs. He already had his sophomore slump. Too early to say he's great but he's got plenty of years to prove it behind a solid defense.

This. Crawford wasn't bad for even a stretch of 3 games last season. Dubnyk on the other hand has a full blown collapse every 4-5 games in Edmonton. Hence why he can't landed consistent starts. Edmonton has no leadership on that team, that should be their plan off attack now. 

Cleary also blew off the Flyers. Rumours are he met with Babcock and Holland to talk today.