NHL Discussion

Glad we got Vanek, but am surprised it was for only three years. I knew they weren't going to offer a long term deal with young guys coming up for contract soon, and Parise/Sutter signed through 2025. Just surprised he took it with more lucrative deals available.

We desperately needed a sniper, and someone to score on the power play. Just need another defenseman.

"Free agent goaltender Martin Brodeur and the Pittsburgh Penguins engaged in contract negotiations Tuesday, but the two sides "couldn't make the money work" according to Pierre LeBrun of ESPN."

I think he's priced himself out of the NHL... the guy couldn't stop a beach ball for most of the last couple years and he has the nerve to ask for top dollar... I think we've seen the last of Brodeur in the NHL.

Worst:

1. Bolland (5.5 Million for a third line center is actually insane. 5.5 MIL for an injury ridden player who has never hit 60 points and was a bench warmer on a truly competitive team is even worse. This will go down as one of the worst contracts ever)

2. Kyle Quincey (sucks ass and gets a raise. Desperate move by the Wings for sure, is a step backwards) 

3. Brooks Orpik (Has a shittier season and goes up to 5.5MIL per. Washington put a lot on the line today, most of which I don't think will pay off.) 

4. Robidas (37 yrs old and coming off a season breaking the same leg twice. Only the Leafs.)

5. Strahlman (less talked about but this guy isn't worth 4MIL for 5 yrs on this planet. This is a bummer contract as early as next season) 

Best:

1. Marcel Goc (great player with character who can also score for $1.2MIL) 

2. Jussi Jokinen (1.5MIL cheaper than Bolland? Jesus christ) 

3. The Dallas Stars (Man, what an upgrade today. Stoked Benn has more elite players to play with) 

I'll retain judgement on the Niskanen deal because his stats and advance stats seem to suggest he is in fact worth that money. We'll see how it pans out. It could be a great contract just as easily as it could be a gross overpayment. 

LOVE the pens got Goc back!  can I just point out that we now have all three NHL 2010 German Olympians on our roster (Goc, Erhoff, Greiss)?  I am trying to find the 2010 olympic jersey to show my solidarity! 

Orpik is the worst contract, BUT, he'll be playing for Trotz, who loves defensive games... so who knows what'll happen.

that Jokinen contract is ridiculous, but he got paid for being productive with Malkin after being cut by the Canes and traded for a conditional draft pick 1 1/2 years ago.  it could be a great deal, but it could also be a complete bust

Worst:

1. Bolland (5.5 Million for a third line center is actually insane. 5.5 MIL for an injury ridden player who has never hit 60 points and was a bench warmer on a truly competitive team is even worse. This will go down as one of the worst contracts ever)

2. Kyle Quincey (sucks ass and gets a raise. Desperate move by the Wings for sure, is a step backwards) 

3. Brooks Orpik (Has a shittier season and goes up to 5.5MIL per. Washington put a lot on the line today, most of which I don't think will pay off.) 

4. Robidas (37 yrs old and coming off a season breaking the same leg twice. Only the Leafs.)

5. Strahlman (less talked about but this guy isn't worth 4MIL for 5 yrs on this planet. This is a bummer contract as early as next season) 

Best:

1. Marcel Goc (great player with character who can also score for $1.2MIL) 

2. Jussi Jokinen (1.5MIL cheaper than Bolland? Jesus christ) 

3. The Dallas Stars (Man, what an upgrade today. Stoked Benn has more elite players to play with) 

I'll retain judgement on the Niskanen deal because his stats and advance stats seem to suggest he is in fact worth that money. We'll see how it pans out. It could be a great contract just as easily as it could be a gross overpayment. 

Strahlman was a camp invite with the Devils a couple of years ago and got cut.. I can't believe he's getting this kind of money and years now.