NHL Discussion

Carcillo is the epitome of scumbag. If only he'd take another puck in the mouth and knock some more teeth out or something..

Re: Price getting hit, I'm on the "fair game" side of this. If you're going to be out playing the puck like a skater, you can take a hit like a skater. They should, in my opinion, get rid of the trapezoid behind the net and instead say, hey, if you're going to be out roaming around, you better be either willing to take a hit or sure that the other team isn't too close. Goalies can decide for themselves if they want to risk the injury. The only problem I see with that is that they'll be targeted for hard hits when the opportunity arises since the goalie is such an important part of any team. I know I'd be furious to see Miller get laid out. You also might have to change the crease into a semi-lacrosse like "here's his safety zone" circle or something, because there could be arguments about when he is considered to be out like a skater.

But I digress... Price was fine. It's not like he didn't expect some contact there anyway.

a 'star' player drops his gloves against a fighter, and the fighter is supposed to skate away? that's fucking stupid.

and that's far from a situational thing for me.. it applies to any player.

if Briere (though not so much a huge star, but possibly the furthest thing from an aggressive fight type), made a moronic move like dropping the gloves against Laraque, I would fully expect Laraque to drop him.

Don't initiate the fight to prove a point & be tough, and not expect what is to follow.

Not a "star" player. A player who has no business fighting. In any regard, I have my beliefs, you have yours. I won't demean yours if you don't demean mine. We don't agree. I think there's a code in the NHL. You may disagree; fine. Doesn't change the fact Carcillo is a bottom-feeding puke of a hockey player who doesn't belong in the NHL.

I real man/player would have evaluated the situation, realized he could wipe his ass with Gaborik, and skated away.

What if Gretz was yapping at, say, Bob Probert and dropped his gloves. Would you expect Probert to do some free dental work on Gretz, or be classy and tell him to go fuck himself and pick a fight with the waterboy?

I real man/player would have evaluated the situation, realized he could wipe his ass with Gaborik, and skated away.

What if Gretz was yapping at, say, Bob Probert and dropped his gloves. Would you expect Probert to do some free dental work on Gretz, or be classy and tell him to go fuck himself and pick a fight with the waterboy?

That's my point. McSorely, Probert, Kocur, Grimson, they didn't pick fights with the skill dudes nor did they pummel them when given any opportunity. Yeah, Gaborik was a moron for dropping his mits, yeah the Rangers - anyone on the Rangers - should have jumped in and got thrown out - but that's not really the point.

You know what, I HATE Carcillo as well as the Flyers in general. But I don't have much of a problem here. First of all, the MSG crew was biased to begin with, so they made it sound like Gaborik got jumped. Really, Gaborik dropped his gloves first, Carcillo tagged him a few times, Gaborik went down to the ice, and Carcillo held up. That's the code I like to see, a player holding back when he has another player vulnerable like that.

A player like Carcillo is out there to try to get under a player like Gaboriks skin. He was very successful, and got him off the ice for 5 minutes.

On a side note, I looked up Brashear's stats and was AMAZED to find out he had a 38 goal / 28 assist season his second year in the AHL.

I've never watched a full hockey game, and will probably only come back in to this thread to feed my ego off of any quotes, but I saw the highlights of the Rangers game from last night where there were like 9 fights and it fucking ruled. Is hockey usually that entertaining? My soon-to-be roommate is a big Rangers fan, so if they're always that fun maybe I'll start watching.

No, most games have 1ish fight, but that doesn't mean it's not entertaining. (at least in my opinion)

I would agree, there's many ways for a hockey game to be entertaining. Sometimes its fights, sometimes it wide-open, end-to-end rushes, some times its just a purely intense 2-1 game with minimal whistles.

Really? You'd stay entertained during a theoretical Devils-vs-Devils game? Hockey is exciting, but some hockey is certainly more exciting than other hockey.

yeah, I think all hockey is fun and exciting to watch, some more than others, but if I had time to watch games every night i would. hockey is more fun to watch than any other sport

NBC is really good at pretending there's only a handful of teams in the league.

Philly, PIT, BUF, WAS, NYR, MTL, and maybe BOS, get more time on NBC than anyone.

The league does have about 6-8 too many teams in the league anyway. It's pretty obvious as to why the Pens are on so much, they're the current Cup owners and have the face of the league on their team. Try selling a Leafs/Coyotes game to your average bored tv watcher in the States on a Sunday morning.