NHL Discussion

NBC is really good at pretending there's only a handful of teams in the league.

Philly, PIT, BUF, WAS, NYR, MTL, and maybe BOS, get more time on NBC than anyone.

The league does have about 6-8 too many teams in the league anyway. It's pretty obvious as to why the Pens are on so much, they're the current Cup owners and have the face of the league on their team. Try selling a Leafs/Coyotes game to your average bored tv watcher in the States on a Sunday morning.

League has 3-4 teams in bad markets but the talent level on each team is pretty good. Phoenix may need to move but they're still 4th overall in the best conference in the NHL.

I'd like to see Atlanta, Phoenix, and Florida re-locate north of the border.

Where would they all go though?

I could see Toronto getting a second team. Quebec City has been trying to get one back, but like when they moved before, they're only a bad-exchange rate away from struggling financially again. They're just not quite big enough. Everyone talks about Hamilton, but that's 25 minutes from Buffalo who Bettman likes, and struggles whenever they don't do well.

I don't know much about Winnipeg. Can a city like Halifax sustain a team? My guess is no, but I again don't know much about it.

Well I think pretty much all the teams in Canada are going to struggle when the exchange rate falters. The whole league may suffer as well with a mass lowering of the salary cap.

That said, I think Quebec could get a team back without much issue. Every team, when its not great on-ice is not going to draw people in droves. Only a few cities do well regardless of the team. I don't like Hamilton because I don't like its effect on Buffalo.

Maybe move one of the teams to Seattle if the place doesn't exist in Canada?

Two things: firstly, I don't know everything. I don't have the answers, just theories. I don't think Quebec necessarily failed. And if they did, so did Atlanta and a team is back there now. Conversely, there was a team in Northern California that failed, the Golden Seals and the Sharks are doing quite well. Also, there was a team in Denver before the Avs, they are now the Devils. So just because during one stint a team failed doesn't mean it will fail again.

Second, just because I don't have a handle on where a specific team should move doesn't mean my opinion they should move is invalid.

For Quebec City - By comparison, the greater-Buffalo area has over a million people, and the Sabres also draw a TON from Southern Ontario (which is why Hamilton would kill the Sabres). Quebec City's greater-metro region has a little over 700,000. They would need to be consistently good, steal fans from the Habs to do well in a solid economy. Since the NHLPA pays in USD, a bad exchange rate is HUGE for a team on the brink like that. The reason it doesn't effect Toronto and MTL is because those teams make a killing regardless, so they can handle the fluxuations in the exchange rate. If I recall correctly, Calgary has had a few scares. Vancouver... I have no idea, and Edmonton has a hard time drawing players just to live there in the first place.

I would love more Canadian teams, but the fact that it's a mostly-US-based league doesn't pan out well for those cities.

I think rather than have a few teams move, the league should give a thought to contraction. Maybe not, since it's a recession, but when you have the Lightning defaulting on their lease, Phoenix in bankruptcy, and teams drawing terrible attendance numbers, there might just be too many teams. Contraction will also nudge some of the fringe players out of the league and teams will get a tad more depth.

I'm with you on all counts. I'm not sure Quebec City would be great either, its just one random city I've heard chatter about. Sounds like, based on what you're saying, it wouldn't work well. But I don't think South Florida, Atlanta, Nashville (though that probably has to do with the team always being rumored to move), and Phoenix are working well.

Now, Phoenix is interesting because their lease with the building is horrid. Changing that around may mean they can stay in Arizona.

Scanning through this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_100_largest_metropolitan_areas_in_Canada

... I don't see any choices that jump out. Obviously a decision to put an NHL team depends on a lot more than population, but it's a big factor.

I wonder why Seattle, or really the northwest US in general, hasn't ever clamored for a team. It doesn't seem there's too dense a region in North Dakota for a team anywhere. I'm glad Minnesota got one back. Las Vegas could potentially work, or it could be an abysmal failure- no idea.

I think it should probably be a mix of contraction and moving one or two teams back to Canada. With less teams, you'll have better talent in more places, making more hockey watchable. The problem with Hamilton is Buffalo has a good team again and I'm pretty sure their attendance is still pretty bad.

I wish milwaukee had an NHL team. they have an AHL, the Nashville affiliate.

I dont really see how a team in Quebec City would draw away from the Habs, when Ottawa is a closer and larger market/team. I mean, the biggest marketing problem they had was that everything was in French there, and made it difficult for players/fans to follow them when they rarely had english translations for anything. Maybe today that'd be different.. who knows.

they could move a team back to Hartford? doubt it

Winnipeg is like Edmonton... who in their right mind would want to live there? I think out of all canadian cities, WInnie should get a team first because there is NOTHING at all around them... give them something to look forward too

Why are they so set on Hamilton? Couldn't they put the team in London, which puts it equal distance between Detroit, Toronto and Buffalo so no one market is hit harder than the others?

I don't get all this market shit. Toronto has more than enough rabid hockey fans in their population to support several franchises within the city alone.

Why are they so set on Hamilton? Couldn't they put the team in London, which puts it equal distance between Detroit, Toronto and Buffalo so no one market is hit harder than the others?

I don't get all this market shit. Toronto has more than enough rabid hockey fans in their population to support several franchises within the city alone.

yeah, maybe toronto does, but buffalo doesnt, so space the new franchise a bit further away from them, and let the toronto fans who want to jump ship drive 50 minutes further from hamilton.