iPod question

Do you manually update your iPod or do you sync it?

I recently went through my iTunes library and deleted a ton of music. I also updated all of my artwork, ID3 tags, etc... In the past I never copied my entire iTunes library because it had a ton of excess stuff on it, but now I'd like everything to be on my iPod.

So, I'm curious as to what other people do.

If I sync it, will Last.fm automatically update?

I sync mine. There's really no good reason not to, unless you don't have the space (not a problem with a 160 GB iPod). There are supposedly applications that sync your iPod's playcount with last.fm, but I have yet to get one to work, which isn't a big deal for me as I'm usually at my computer anyway.

I have a couple playlists that I sync to my iPod. as stated above there are podcasts and bands/albums I know I'd never listen to on my iPod so I just leave it off. I used to do the automatic sync, but searching for albums just got too tedious with every single album in my library. I def prefer the pared down approach.

I have a couple playlists that I sync to my iPod. as stated above there are podcasts and bands/albums I know I'd never listen to on my iPod so I just leave it off. I used to do the automatic sync, but searching for albums just got too tedious with every single album in my library. I def prefer the pared down approach.

I'm confused by your last statement.

Artist > Album

Why is that so tedious?

i sync everything, but once i have my iphone i'll just have a small selection on there, so it'll have to be manual... or synced from a folder that i update.

it has to be synced, no drag and drop like iPods. You have to make playlists for everything you want. It's such a pain in the ass compared to my nano. I'm getting used to it and trying to make smart playlists to make it easier so there is new stuff on there, but ugh, stupid...

I put stuff on manually, just because when I first got an iPod, my computer had a much smaller hard drive than I have now and I didn't want mp3s taking up so much valuable real estate on my computer. So I would put them on the iPod and then delete them from my computer.

The only bummer to that is if my iPod decides to cack out one of these days (as it has in the past), I don't have any sort of back-up for it.

Also, much to my chagrin, you have to have iPhones on automatic sync, if you want to add more than 1 custom made ringtone. Pain in the ass.

Does anyone know how to get a ipod to come up uner devices on itunes for a mac? I know you just plug it in and then its suppose to pop up but the first computer I hooked it up to was a PC and now I have a macbook and my ipod wont pop up when i plug it in. Ive heard if you first plug it into a PC it reformats itself to work with a PC. Anyone have any idea how I can get it to pop up on my mac?