NBA Discussion

I'm not a big NBA fan, however i do like following my local Bucks box scores.  Curious what all your opinions are on the Bucks and their awkwardly constructed roster.

Who should the Bucks try and build around Brandon Jennings or Monte Ellis?

Neither are stars, that is obvious.  It is most likely the best the Bucks can do as a cornerstone player.  Personally I've wanted to see the Bucks extend Ellis and trade Jennings as a restricted Free Agent.  Probably couldn't get a ton but a pick or two would be nice.  Jennings might be a star somewhere but it won't be Milwaukee.  Ellis as a PG just seems more willing to pass and although it is a bit out of position for his skill set, I'd rather see him as a Buck.

The Bucks have a ton of money to spend this offseason.  Could Al Jefferson or Paul Milsap fit in well if the Bucks have a core of Jennings or Ellis / Reddick / Mbah Moute /                 / Sanders?  Or is there a SF that would be available to move Mbah Moute back into a bench role and let Ilyasova keep starting at PF.

Again I'd like to see Ellis signed as the PG and it seems like the Bucks plan on make Reddick a very large offer to keep him.   With one of the Jazz free agents slotting into the PF role the Bucks would have seem to have a well balanced lineup.

Just curious about others opinions.  I don't know much about basketball but I do enjoy keeping track of the Wisconsin teams.

To my knowledge Jennings declined like a $12mil/yr contract or something like that and Ellis isn't very popular with fans, I hear a lot of them calling for the Bucks to just blow it up and start fresh. Ellis has a player option I think? So really if they'd try and shop him, he'd probably forgo his extra year and test FA. Not moving one of them around the trade deadline really set them back I think.

Personally I am all about blowing the team up.  Let Ellis walk, trade Jennings as a restricted free agent.  Look at getting pick/s for Ilyasova and tank it trying to get a top 3 pick and get lucky on a star.  Plus whatever other picks you could get.  John Hammond seems to be a very good GM so it would be nice to see him get a few extra picks to try and pull down more Henson and Tobias Harris types.;

Herb Kohl isn't the kind of owner that will do that and with the lack of fan support in Milwaukee if the Bucks tank you would have about 7 people in the stands.  I know Kohl is trying hard to sell the team and hope that it happens soon.  I actually kind of wondered if the Josh Smith rumors to have the Bucks go all in this year try and build up some hype to sell the team.  The new owner then could either blow it up or resign the core he wanted.

Jennings isn't going to come cheap.  The rumors of the 4 / 48 offer have been confirmed and debunked multiple times.  It is obvious that Jennings wants to play in a huge market because he thinks he is one the NBAs superstars.  I do think this offseason will be interesting with Jennings to see if he will try and get offers with the knowledge that Milwaukee could match, or if he will just sign the one year deal so he can leave free and clear the following year. 

I really hope that a guy like Ilyasova gets crazy hot in the second half and the Bucks could get a nice return in the off season for him.  He's the kind of guy where it's maddening seeing him be dynamic one night and completely inept the next.  Granted a lot of that was during the Skiles run and Skiles just seemed to want to fuck with his players.

a jennings for jefferson/millsap sign-and-trade deal with utah could work well for both teams.  I'm curious how much redick is going to cost in free agency.

Redick has been shooting for a 4 year 40 million deal from the rumors I was seeing before the trade.  Realistically I think the Bucks will end up offering him something around what Ilyasova got.

1) how the hell were the lakers down 18 points going into the 4th quarter against new orleans?  I mean, I like greivis vasquez, but seriously...

2) how the hell did the lakers outscore new orleans 33-9 in the 4th quarter?  ending the game on a 20-0 run?!?  now they're only a game and a half behind utah for the 8th playoff slot.  I'm not going to say LAL can beat any of the top 3 in the west in a series, but they've been playing pretty well lately and should have gasol back by the playoffs...

3) if it were allowable under the CBA, I'd want minnesota to lock rubio up with a 15 year, $150 million deal.  since the start of feb (i.e., around the time he finally got "healthy"), he's averaged 12.9 pts, 9.4 assists (with NO ONE TO PASS TO), 5 reb, 3.19 stls, and he still hasn't had a legit training camp to improve his skills (e.g., his shot). I <3 rubio, as I've made clear countless times in this thread...

Matt Barnes is my least favorite player in the NBA. The guy is complete garbage and plays dirty as fuck. Every single fowl he commits looks flagrant as hell.

Edit: This comes from me watching the Nuggets vs. Clippers game. I don't usually watch the Clippers but whenever I do, I just can't believe what he gets away with. He gets treated like LeBron by the refs.

I feel like teams don't really like having him on their roster either.  He's played for 9 teams in his career and only stayed with 2 of them for multiple seasons.  You've got to think that other players don't want to be around a guy like him, cus it makes them look bad too.

he's great as a league minimum salary player, but that's about it.  as for the "other players don't want to be around a guy like him" thing, kobe actively recruited him to join the lakers an offseason or two after that "kobe doesn't flinch" video, so I feel like his teammates respect what he adds, ~unselfish dirty work (and by "unselfish", I mean that he doesn't need the ball to be happy).

http://withleather.uproxx.com/2010/07/kobe-bryant-matt-barnes-love

honestly, I think the lakers would welcome him back this season.  I'm guessing he thought the clips had a better shot at the title and decided to just switch locker rooms

he's great as a league minimum salary player, but that's about it. as for the "other players don't want to be around a guy like him" thing, kobe actively recruited him to join the lakers an offseason or two after that "kobe doesn't flinch" video, so I feel like his teammates respect what he adds, ~unselfish dirty work (and by "unselfish", I mean that he doesn't need the ball to be happy).

http://withleather.uproxx.com/2010/07/kobe-bryant-matt-barnes-love

honestly, I think the lakers would welcome him back this season. I'm guessing he thought the clips had a better shot at the title and decided to just switch locker rooms

Weird about the Kobe recruiting him thing. I feel like the last thing the Lakers need is another player with an attitude.

I mean, you know as well as I how quickly a team that relies on JR Smith can lose focus... but yeah we're going to beat you. No doubt about it.

JR is the streakiest player. One game he'll drain 10 3s and the next game he won't make a single field goal.

I'm really hoping they match up Chandler vs Chandler. Aside from the name and look similarities, I think they would be interesting to watch.

JR is the streakiest player. One game he'll drain 10 3s and the next game he won't make a single field goal.

I'm really hoping they match up Chandler vs Chandler. Aside from the name and look similarities, I think they would be interesting to watch.

I really can't figure out what's going on with JR Smith. His basketball IQ seems sky high at certain moments, but the rest of the game it's like watching a high schooler who thinks he's better than everyone else on his team (and only is by a little bit). His shot selection is awful. He's going to give me grey hair.

I definitely hope they match up Chandler v Chandler too. Tyson would get 40 rebounds.

I really can't figure out what's going on with JR Smith. His basketball IQ seems sky high at certain moments, but the rest of the game it's like watching a high schooler who thinks he's better than everyone else on his team (and only is by a little bit). His shot selection is awful. He's going to give me grey hair.

I definitely hope they match up Chandler v Chandler too. Tyson would get 40 rebounds.

The Manimal will have something to say about that.

Yowza. I'm enjoying this game. But I can't see Knicks fans enjoying it much.

3arl I think we found a mutual interest other than vinyl. Huge Nuggets fan right here and I'm so glad to see Carmelo get beat like this in his return to Denver! Was glad to see him go even though I think he is loaded with talent; I just could not see Denver winning a championship with him.