NBA Discussion

I'm a Bulls fan through and through but my dad is a huge Bucks fan so I follow them too - really think Milwaukee drafted next year's rookie of the year and the next Melo - Parker at his peak will be a 25 and 8 guy.

love the Bulls move to get McBuckets too, especially if it's another step towards getting Melo.

And Jason Kidd to the Bucks in probably the weirdest thing we'll see all offseason.

for a 2nd rd pick in 2015 and 2019 (????) at that.  nothing like trading a draft pick 4 years out for a coach.  

im not a fan of the NBA, but i'll say the drafting of Parker has definitely perked my interest in the Bucks now where i'll probably at least pay attention a bit more.  

for a 2nd rd pick in 2015 and 2019 (????) at that.  nothing like trading a draft pick 4 years out for a coach.  

im not a fan of the NBA, but i'll say the drafting of Parker has definitely perked my interest in the Bucks now where i'll probably at least pay attention a bit more.  

this gif sums up everything for the Bucks

42268-you-had-my-curiosity-but-now-y-mk6

If Miami is doing what I think they're doing, they need to be punished.

I feel like they're going to try and circumvent the salary cap. LeBron, Wade, and Bosh opted out to restructure their deals and allow the Heat to bring in free agents. That also means that the Heat can sign whomever they want, Carmelo even, because they have Bird Rights on the Big Three, so they can go over the salary cap to resign them.

I believe that both the heat and the three set it up, so they can all opt out of the final year. If they all opted in, they would take up most of the salary cap, so it would be difficult to fill the roster. By taking less, all three stay together, and they can sign better role players. I think that they're going to go that route. Signing Carmelo would take up the most of the remaining cap, so they wouldn't be able to sign a great supporting cast. We'll have to see how much less Bosh and Wade are willing to take if James wants max.

At this point, I feel that he is staying, but that can change once we see what else happens. Why would Wade opt out if he wasn't staying? No one else is going to pay him anywhere near the 20 million that he would have gotten if he didn't opt out.

The finals exposed their biggest flaw, which was in their role players. I wouldn't want to leave the east if I were James, with the east being far weaker conference. It's so much easier of a path to get to the finals. All they would have to do is beat the western conference champ.

If Miami is doing what I think they're doing, they need to be punished.

I feel like they're going to try and circumvent the salary cap. LeBron, Wade, and Bosh opted out to restructure their deals and allow the Heat to bring in free agents. That also means that the Heat can sign whomever they want, Carmelo even, because they have Bird Rights on the Big Three, so they can go over the salary cap to resign them.

Unless you can prove that anyone from the Heat contacted or helped the Big 3, then it's not circumvention. Very hard to prove.

With all of them opted out, they only have Norris Cole on contract right now. So they could sign Carmelo if they want. Cap isn't an issue, because they can sign LeBron and company to whatever they want, and can exceed the cap. It all depends if they want to pay the luxury tax.

You are forgetting the new CBA rules. If they go over the cap they lose all of their exceptions (mid-level, mini mid level), so every player they sign would have to fit under the soft cap. That's why Melo won't join the big 3. They wouldn't be able to include any type of bench. That's not to say that Melo and Bron don't form another Big 3. Either way, I don't see LBJ taking another pay cut, nor should he

You are forgetting the new CBA rules. If they go over the cap they lose all of their exceptions (mid-level, mini mid level), so every player they sign would have to fit under the soft cap. That's why Melo won't join the big 3. They wouldn't be able to include any type of bench. That's not to say that Melo and Bron don't form another Big 3. Either way, I don't see LBJ taking another pay cut, nor should he

I'm not sure that's true considering the Wolves are looking to sign someone with their MLE and are well over the cap, almost approaching the luxury tax threshold. All I'm saying is they can sign other guys, before resigning LeBron, Wade and Bosh. The Wolves did something similar last summer, by signing Brewer, Bud, and trading for Martin before resigning Pekovic. The Bird Rights rule is meant to help smaller market teams keep their players, not what the Heat could do.

But then again, I'm not a salary cap expert, and perhaps the Heat lose their Bird Rights for them because they opted out.

I'm not sure that's true considering the Wolves are looking to sign someone with their MLE and are well over the cap, almost approaching the luxury tax threshold. All I'm saying is they can sign other guys, before resigning LeBron, Wade and Bosh. The Wolves did something similar last summer, by signing Brewer, Bud, and trading for Martin before resigning Pekovic. The Bird Rights rule is meant to help smaller market teams keep their players, not what the Heat could do.

But then again, I'm not a salary cap expert, and perhaps the Heat lose their Bird Rights for them because they opted out.

The type of exceptions you have depends on your cap status. For the MLE it's like this:

$5.15 million for non-taxpaying teams over the cap

$3.09 million for taxpaying teams over the cap

$2.575 million for teams with cap room

And with the mini mid level, you lose it if you pay luxury tax. So Miami has the Big 3's Bird Rights due to them playing at least three years there, similar to the Knicks with Melo. I think we are going to see Bron taking the most and Bosh/Wade take massive paycuts if they want to stay together. If not, Bosh may be odd man out