NBA Discussion

The Magic fired Van Gundy and Otis Smith "resigned". Because taking a below-average talent team to the playoffs 5 years straight and making a finals appearance is just not good enough.

Orlando can thank Dwight for that.

Van Gundy did a great job with that team.

Couldn't agree more, Otis needed to go though, for approving the original Gilbert Arenas/Turkoglu trade at the very least.

How does Kobe only have 1 MVP? Its insane.

Even Steve Nash has 2.

Kobe could easily have like 4-5 MVPs at this point and it would be really hard to argue against that. He was the best player in the NBA for about a decade and he's the second greatest player of all time next to Jordan. It blows my mind that he has 1 MVP.

Also Durant should have gotten MVP this year

This is all true

ditto, though I'm far from unbiased when it comes to kobe...

I think kobe had the problem of having shaq on the team (btw, how does shaq only have 1 mvp?), followed by some years where the lakers weren't very good, and then "omg, he's got two 7-footers! he can't be mvp!" (though lebron jumping ship to join d-wade and bosh is apparently different?) or "he's already got his mvp, let's let someone else win one" (which seems to be the logic sometimes)

what does it even mean to be the mvp? do you look at who else is on the team and their team's success? how about factoring in their salary relative to their impact on the franchise (e.g., record, attendance, etc.)?

I'm curious how much value per $ of salary lebron adds to the heat vs., say, ricky rubio (played pretty well, excited the mn fan-base, got us national attention (I kept hearing nba analysts say the wolves were their "nba league pass" team just to see rubio play), and everything fell apart after he went down (record-wise, fan excitement, national attention, etc.)). not saying #rubio4mvp!, it's just an easy example to use since I'm from mn. and I realize this is all hypothetical, but as someone who likes statistics (math stats, not basketball stats), it seems really interesting...

The Magic fired Van Gundy and Otis Smith "resigned". Because taking a below-average talent team to the playoffs 5 years straight and making a finals appearance is just not good enough.

Orlando can thank Dwight for that.

Van Gundy did a great job with that team.

word. how long until van gundy gets a new job? a month? who else has a coaching vacancy?

CELTICS! YES! YES! YES!

THUNDER! YES! YES! YES!

LAKERS! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Dont get too excited, the Celtics arent going much further. Next year they're all just another year older and another year slower and probably wont even make it this far again in the playoffs for quite some time. I dont see them being the Spurs of the East.

well, at least kobe showed up...

go spurs, go... pacers?

Go Thunder now that the LakeShow is out. Id like to see Durant get a ring and hopefully beat the shit out of the Heat in the Finals

Kobe always shows up. Like I said before, next to Jordan he's the greatest player of all time and no one in the game today is even a close 3rd.

Spurs in 6!

Thunder in 6

CELTICS! YES! YES! YES!

THUNDER! YES! YES! YES!

LAKERS! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Dont get too excited, the Celtics arent going much further. Next year they're all just another year older and another year slower and probably wont even make it this far again in the playoffs for quite some time. I dont see them being the Spurs of the East.

thats been said for 3 years. no one expected them to even make the playoffs this season, and here we are. i know the team has a lot of weaknesses, but they sure know how to overcome them.

thats been said for 3 years. no one expected them to even make the playoffs this season, and here we are. i know the team has a lot of weaknesses, but they sure know how to overcome them.

wait, what? anyone who said that was either a prisoner of the moment or forgot the celtics play in the eastern conference

Hate the Celtics but loved Reggie Lewis. In 1993 my three favorite NBA players were Jordan, Petrovic and Lewis. Having 2 of the 3 die tragically within months of each other killed the NBA for me for a little while. I just loved the way Reggie played for some reason and he was really breaking out at that point.

We need more love for OKC and Kevin Durant. Durant has been the most entertaining player in the NBA for over two years now. I can't get enough of watching him on the court.

We need more love for OKC and Kevin Durant. Durant has been the most entertaining player in the NBA for over two years now. I can't get enough of watching him on the court.

yupyupyup

[image]

just had to post this.

but.

miami heat are a bunch of fucking thugs. i cannot believe how much shit theyve gotten away with in this post-season. go back to the play in game 3 (i think?)... wade thinks he gets fouled (he doesnt), and on the other end, viciously shoves a dude on a fast break with no play on the ball.

lebron throwing the elbow at granger... but it didnt connect, so stern got lucky and was allowed to pretend it never happened

and then just everything... everything everything everything that happened last night. handbroros play was just a foul- he got ball, and then made contact. the bullshit that happened after that is inexcusable by miami.

a whole team of shit heads with no respect for anyone else involved in the game.

still a minute left, but jesus the celts have been awful tonight. i knew not to expect anything once i heard that in their first opportunities to close out series under doc, theyre something like 3-10. thats an ugly stat right there.