New DILLINGER FOUR music video!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus motherfucking Christ.

I totally thought this was a joke for like the first third of that video. I thought someone (possibly D4 because of the thread title) made a mash-up of everything wrong with young rock music, making it comically exaggerated, and it was the intro for their actual music video, which would then by contrast, feature good music.

To quote Eric Cartman from last week's South Park "Alright, thats it. I give up. If thats what's popular now I'm going home to kill myself".

I have many reactions to this video and I will share them in list form.

1) The title of this thread is very clever as the post viewing crushing sense of depression was only heightened by my pre-viewing happy anticipation.

2) I watched the first minute of this video with a huge smile on my face.

3) "Oh how funny D4 is," I thought. "Look at what Paddy and the boys have done."

4) "I really love how they took every annoying stereotype in music today and combined it into one song, the emo hair, the awful rapping, the objectification of women, and the screamo. Oh what a vicious critique this is. Yes this certainly is ripe for parody. Ripe I tell you!"

5) My smile dims as the joke grows old.

6) I start to think "Geez I know this is a fake song but couldn't they have written some more lyrics? This is so repetitive."

7) I begin looking at the time left and wonder what real D4 song off CIVIL WAR was short enough to fit in the remaining time.

8) I begin to fast forward.

9-12) Horror.

13) I read the thread and discover this is a real band.

14-20) Horror.

I have many reactions to this video and I will share them in list form.

1) The title of this thread is very clever as the post viewing crushing sense of depression was only heightened by my pre-viewing happy anticipation.

2) I watched the first minute of this video with a huge smile on my face.

3) "Oh how funny D4 is," I thought. "Look at what Paddy and the boys have done."

4) "I really love how they took every annoying stereotype in music today and combined it into one song, the emo hair, the awful rapping, the objectification of women, and the screamo. Oh what a vicious critique this is. Yes this certainly is ripe for parody. Ripe I tell you!"

5) My smile dims as the joke grows old.

6) I start to think "Geez I know this is a fake song but couldn't they have written some more lyrics? This is so repetitive."

7) I begin looking at the time left and wonder what real D4 song off CIVIL WAR was short enough to fit in the remaining time.

8) I begin to fast forward.

9-12) Horror.

13) I read the thread and discover this is a real band.

14-20) Horror.

21) ????

22) Profit

Oh internets.

Monkeys, typewriters and time son.

Dear Members of brokeNCYDE,

I’m putting this together as an open letter to you and your “group”. Originally this letter was going to be filled with little more than insults about your clothes and your “music”. However, I feel that there is something of substance that must be said regarding your creative choices musically and stylistically. I have spent the better half of my life deeply involved in underground music. I’ve helped promote shows, I’ve helped house bands on tour and I’ve interviewed tons of bands for print and audio media. In all that time I’ve managed to keep my role as “scene police” to a minimum. I don’t care what label a band signs to. I don’t care if a bands new music goes against your old message. It doesn’t matter if a band wears different clothes than me or even looks ridiculous in my opinion. I don’t even care if a band produces music I don’t like. I’ve found it is largely not my role to decide what should and shouldn’t be listened to by other people.

With that said, I want you out of my “scene”. What scene is that exactly? Well, ideally it would be music, but as I’m not the creator and gatekeeper of all things musical, I’ll settle for hip-hop and punk rock. Yes, I know you’d technically identify more as “screamo” than “punk” but there is a connection and I hope you’ll agree. Also, I’m aware you tend to use the label “crunk” but, like all trend hoppers, I’m assuming you’ll dump that label as soon as that musical floater goes belly up and gets flushed. Then you’ll be running back to hip-hop with arms open. So let’s just save some time and say your music has roots (hideous, rotten and deformed as they are) in those types of music.

You have no place in either of these scenes. Punk rock, and even screamo, is a scene started by outsiders. It was a scene started by those people who felt they had no where else to belong. Even Pete Wentz (the evil arch enemy of what many call “punk”) started his own club because he said he didn’t fit in anywhere else. You guys have a video of yourselves “rapping” (and I use that term as loosely as possible) about going to a club, grinding on girls and all that other lovely business that I’m sure you worked out in your rehearsals. Is this the voice of outsiders? Is this the voice of kids who associate with being disenfranchised? This sounds more like the macho jock mentality that these musical genres were constructed to combat, yet you use that label.

The more obvious disconnect from punk and the screamo culture is your bands blatant misogyny (no it’s not a new energy drink, Google it). Perhaps I’m misled by the videos I’ve seen or the admittedly spars amount of your music I’ve heard. However, it is pretty universally accepted that a band that calls women/girls/whatever you have sex with “whore”, “Slut” and whatever other fine terms you utilize, that it’s pretty much a general disrespect for women. It’s easy to see how you might not realize this, in the general culture of screamo today much of the music uses negative images of women. But even in the most vile of those songs the key factor is that the narrator of the song has been wronged by said woman. By instigating the objectification, violence and general negative attitude toward women (such as the epic jam “sex toyz”) you have taken up the role of the aggressor and therefore lost any sense of justifications of your actions and pretty much just made yourself look like a woman hating asshole.

The most startling of the offenses your “band” (again very loosely used, like an anorexic in a hula-hoop) is your association with the hip-hop culture. This isn’t a “white kids can’t rap” comment either (everyone from Brother Ali to Aesop Rock have proved that’s not the case), it’s a “know what you’re claiming to represent before you attempt to represent it” comment. You’re videos and “music” all portray you as wealthy, cool, impressive and sought after by women. This is detailed in everything from the Range Rover in your video (I’m going to assume that was a gift from a parent or on loan) to the clothes you wear right down to the unfortunate girl who gave you the “okay” to pretend to choke her in your video. Perhaps it’s the amount of popular music you’ve inundated yourselves with, or just a lack of in depth understand but flashy things and money are not what hip-hop is about. Even with popular “crunk” artists like Lil’ John the money aspect is part of the “big come up” the transfer from being poor and disrespected to rich and noteworthy. Every artist from Dr. Dre, to Tupac right down to 50 Cent and Three-Six Mafia have expressed their wealthy as a sign of their success and the accomplishments of your struggle. Much like misogyny without first being wronged by a female, rapping about cars, drugs and women without the struggle and success doesn’t make you cool, it makes you spoiled and ignorant.

So there it is brokENCYDE, a simple request. You don’t have to change your style, your name or even you music, just change how you identify it. Hell be original, call it Hate-hop (you certainly seem to have enough of it for the female gender) or spoiled, rich and bored electronic sex jams. I don’t really care, but any association with hip-hop, screamo or the related genre is not only incorrect but a gross disregard for what the people of those genres tried to create. Oh, and on the ever so slight chance that this whole thing is a giant joke and not meant to be taken seriously, you might want to cue your “fans” in a little more. I feel terrible for the girls. Can you imagine if old comedic artists didn’t cue their fans in? Women would be sending Steve Martin myspace pictures with “King Tut” across their chest. How embarrassing would that be?

Thanks!

you think your letter really is going to do anything? good job wasting 30 minutes writing that.

Haha. Yeah because you know 90% of the things done here are totally productive. Seriously?

So why even bother writing it? Whats the point? Its not going to change anything.

Oh, and im sure Dante3000 is far from the first person to ever say something like that to them. This board is one giant circle jerk.