favorite lesser known albums of 2008

podface

so whats your favorite lesser known albums of 2008? (when i say lesser known, all i mean is to omit the obvious choices like D4, gaslight anthem, PIB.... so on) honestly, i just want new music to listen to.

so far my list is:

public access - hindsight EP (i think this was released this year, atleast the 7" was)

sass dragons - bonkaroo! (got this for free with an order... but i cant remember from who)

the fad - kill punk rock stars

the slackers - self medication (not a small band whatsoever, but i think this album was overlooked and wont make it to a lot of top 10 lists this year.. i love it.)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Mae Shi - HLLLYH

Noisy synthy pop rock. This is a concept album about the rapture and apocalypse, and it's awesome. I doubt many people here would like it though.

Colour Revolt - Plunder Beg & Curse

Indie-rock, i guess. Great guitar work, great dynamics, sort of Modest Mouse-ish? I don't know. It's good.

imadethismistake - it's okay (folk punk emo RIYL: Get Up Kids or Against Me!

Asher Roth - Green House Effect Vol. 1 (RIYL: Backpack rap or Eminem)

Ben Solle - Learning to Bend (RIYL: Bluegrass or Motown Soul)

Janelle Monae - Metropolis: The Chase Suite EP (RIYL: Dropping acid while watching Blade Runner and listening to Amy Winehouse, Outkast, and Beyonce)

The Mai Shi - HLLYH (RIYL: Art school kids playing pop punk while pouring water on a sample machine)

Polar Bear Club - Sometimes Things Just Disappear (RIYL: Third Eye Blind covering A Wilhelm Scream)

The Status - So This is Progress (RIYL: Insanely sugary power pop)

Team Stray - Gender Studies (RIYL: The Steinways... but dorkier)

True Widow - S/T (RIYL: Hum, My Bloody Valentine, or Major label Cave In)

Thomas Function - Celebration

This was missed by so many. Hell this would appeal to many on this board and no one got it. I just don't get why it was not loved more, maybe cause it dances a line between sounds/scenes. Punks think its indie rock, hipsters don't see it on their favorite blog so ignore it...

Anyway, check it out, good good good.

Guest kylewilliam

Polar Bear Club - Sometimes Things Just Disappear (RIYL: Third Eye Blind covering A Wilhelm Scream)

don't to sound like a dick. but PBC aren't really lesser known anymore. they're pretty big now.

in the grand scheme of things, polar bear club is still lesser known. honestly, the gaslight anthem are just starting to burst out of the "lesser known" region... polar bear club is huge on the message boards, but otherwise theyre still relatively unknown.

Guest genericinsight

don't to sound like a dick. but PBC aren't really lesser known anymore. they're pretty big now.

in the grand scheme of things, polar bear club is still lesser known. honestly, the gaslight anthem are just starting to burst out of the "lesser known" region... polar bear club is huge on the message boards, but otherwise theyre still relatively unknown.

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought "lesser known" meant widespread. Including the internet.

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought "lesser known" meant widespread. Including the internet.

Sure but in that grand scheme you're not going to see many mentions of PBC outside the confines of the punk sub-culture message boards and internet sites.

That said, most everything everyone listens to around here is "lesser known."

Guest genericinsight

Sure but in that grand scheme you're not going to see many mentions of PBC outside the confines of the punk sub-culture message boards and internet sites.

That said, most everything everyone listens to around here is "lesser known."

Well, duh.

I think/thought we were only talking about within the confines of the underground music culture.

That said, I'm almost certain that while PBC is getting bigger, they aren't quite there just yet. Yeah, they had a huge response at the Fest, but folks forget that's a bunch of people from all over gathered in one spot.

If you read Tracker's (their roadie/merch guy) PBC tour blog, you'll see on their last tour they had a few shows that had some pretty poor turnouts. My interpretation of a band being "big" (either in this sub-culture OR in mainstream culture) means a shit-ton of people go see them wherever they play.

I've seen many a case where a band that is supposedly big in this scene had terrible show turnouts, in a huge market place such as NYC. PBC does great here but I've seen other bands that are supposedly just as big as them draw very poorly here.

Well, duh.

I think/thought we were only talking about within the confines of the underground music culture.

That said, I'm almost certain that while PBC is getting bigger, they aren't quite there just yet. Yeah, they had a huge response at the Fest, but folks forget that's a bunch of people from all over gathered in one spot.

If you read Tracker's (their roadie/merch guy) PBC tour blog, you'll see on their last tour they had a few shows that had some pretty poor turnouts. My interpretation of a band being "big" (either in this sub-culture OR in mainstream culture) means a shit-ton of people go see them wherever they play.

I've seen many a case where a band that is supposedly big in this scene had terrible show turnouts, in a huge market place such as NYC. PBC does great here but I've seen other bands that are supposedly just as big as them draw very poorly here.

I'm just saying I still think PBC would be a lesser known band, defending them being qualified as such. And what's a good turnout? Like 500 people? If you draw 500 people when you're in NYC for one date I still say you're pretty much lesser known. I mean you're drawing, what, less than a tenth a percent of all the people in a single city and that's not counting how many people come to New York to see shows from Jersey, etc. I don't think its nonsensical or wrong to qualify a band like PBC as lesser known. That's all I'm getting at. But define the term however you want, just let others do the same.

Guest genericinsight
Well, duh.

I'm just saying I still think PBC would be a lesser known band, defending them being qualified as such. And what's a good turnout? Like 500 people? If you draw 500 people when you're in NYC for one date I still say you're pretty much lesser known. I mean you're drawing, what, less than a tenth a percent of all the people in a single city and that's not counting how many people come to New York to see shows from Jersey, etc. I don't think its nonsensical or wrong to qualify a band like PBC as lesser known. That's all I'm getting at. But define the term however you want, just let others do the same.

Depends on the venue size, obviously. If the band sells out a 500+ capacity venue, I'd say that's a good indication of a popularity level. Most of the bands that play here tend to play in the smaller venues because all our big venues generally have bad sound or are too big for the type of music.

But if the band can barely fill a room for only 100 people, well...

Sidenote, 90% of the audiences that come to NYC shows are people from elsewhere (Jersey, Long Island, Westchester, Connecticut, upstate NY or random people that travel for them). Very rarely do you find people at the shows who actually LIVE in the city.