Recently Watched Thread

I like the anime a lot better than the movies for Death Note, though the 2nd season pretty much sucked.

I am not really an anime fan. The lady who watches a lot of films with me loves anime. I didn't know Death Note was originally anime/manga until she got super excited about the films being in my netflix queue. I definitely want to see the anime versions of these now since she told me that the movies are basically season 1 but they don't follow the anime completely.

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've recently seen a few films.

Weapons - Nick Cannon indy film. Not bad. Not great. Similar approach as Kids and Bully but not nearly as gritty or good.

The Ruins - ugg. I like campy horror but didn't like this one very much. I did dig the scene where the girl is hacking at her body with a knife.

Turistas - I enjoyed the surgeon's monologue while doing his stuff.

The Alphabet Killer - Supposedly based on a true story. It was ok. It didn't have a typical hollywood ending so it has that going for it.

I may watch "The Jacket" tonight. Depends on when I get out of work.

Guest drahtuos

twin peaks. gonna watch fire walk with me tonight :)

peaks is brilliant, the music is amazing. i need to get the angelo badalamenti soundtrack on vinyl lp, i've seen a few on ebay.

i also saw year one and the proposal, i liked them both.

Guest drahtuos
Polyphonica Crimson S. The ending was pretty stupid, but it was an interesting series at the start.

I just started Fate/Stay Night on blu-ray. It is one of my favorite anime series every. Any anime fan should check it out.

my interest is piqued. will check these out.

Yeah, fate/stay night is awesome. It's made by the type-moon people (Tskihime, Kara no Kyoukai). It's about 9 mages forced to fight a war over the holy grail. They each summon a servant to fight for them, and each servant is someone from history or myth (well most all). It's pretty cool how it all plays out, but it's best to watch since I'm sure my description makes you picture something different in your head then it's really like.

If your PC can handle 720p blu-ray rips, grab the THORA rip of fate/stay night, or else just buy the dvds since the boxset is really cheap now.

Drag Me To Hell is one of my favorite horror movies from recent times... I think it was incredibly well scripted, brilliantly directed, and I think it does a lot of things that most horror movies either fail miserably at or don't even attempt at all.

The only thing I kind of miss is that there were definitely things that would have looked better in stop motion instead of CG. Right off the top of my mind, the shadowy hands reaching under the doorway would have been SO much creepier done by stop motion.

I actually got taken to this movie by my friend, having not heard anything about it. Afterward, I figured my wife would love it, so I saw it again. That's when it struck me how much they really got into the details and the setup of the characters. There's a subtlety to this film that can only come from the writers having freedom to do whatever they want without interruption and having a genuine good time of it. I love Christine Brown's setup - her doing the speech therapy tapes in the car and pausing at the bakery on the way to work - those are little moments that make the character feel genuine, especially as she's picked on for things that make her insecure down the line.

So much horror now just focuses on being as sadistic and "shocking" as possible. Even if this movie doesn't break any new ground, what more can you ask for than a horror movie being entertaining as all fuck? It had the perfect blend of the horrific, the grotesque, and the goddamn hilarious that Evil Dead 2 had.