Recently Watched Thread

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched "This is England". What a sad fucking movie. It's set in 1983 during the Falklands War and this kid's dad has died in it. The kid ends up falling in with some Nationalist skinheads and things just get really fucked. Normally when I watch Instant Queue movies on Netflix at work I'm multi-tasking and doing 10 things at once. This movie had me gripped the whole time.

Dude, this is one of my all time favourite movies. It is so tense and well written. I know i have mentioned it on this board a few times now but Shane Meadows, the guy who wrote and directed This is England (which is semi biographical) also made a film called "Dead Mans Shoes". This is just as tense and gripping and semi biographical as well. It is amazing. Seriously everyone needs to see it at least once.

Just finished Dead Man's Shoes. I really liked it, but I thought the tone of the movie shifted around a bit much, making its sense of purpose seem a little shaky. Other than that, I love Shane Meadows' slice-of-life style, that makes you feel like you're witness to people just going about their lives (albeit, in this case, a seriously brutal one).

Also, Tom, I saw that Meadows made a movie last year with the kid from This is England in it. It's not on DVD, yet though.

Guest drahtuos
I just started the Neon Genesis Evangelion series last night. I've never made it throught the entire collection. Same with Initial D

neon genesis is amazing, you owe it to yourself to see it all the way through.

Dude, this is one of my all time favourite movies. It is so tense and well written. I know i have mentioned it on this board a few times now but Shane Meadows, the guy who wrote and directed This is England (which is semi biographical) also made a film called "Dead Mans Shoes". This is just as tense and gripping and semi biographical as well. It is amazing. Seriously everyone needs to see it at least once.

Just finished Dead Man's Shoes. I really liked it, but I thought the tone of the movie shifted around a bit much, making its sense of purpose seem a little shaky. Other than that, I love Shane Meadows' slice-of-life style, that makes you feel like you're witness to people just going about their lives (albeit, in this case, a seriously brutal one).

Also, Tom, I saw that Meadows made a movie last year with the kid from This is England in it. It's not on DVD, yet though.

Somers Town? I am not sure in the US but i think it was released in the UK in Feburary. It was directed by meadows but it wasn't written by him unlike This is England and Dead man's Shoes.

in keeping with the foreign films i have been seeing at SIFF, i saw Kabei - Our Mother tonight.

it was awesome. Set in Japan, early 1940s a mother has to raise two young daughters in the wake of her husband being arrested for 'thought crimes' of being against the government and therefore a communist.

Guest duhpunk

Farce of the Penguins.

quite possibly the funniest thing Bob Saget has ever been involved in. the cast was incredible.

Guest naytoid

Rented 'Igor' and 'The Spirit' today.

Igor was better than the majority of animated movies that come out now

The Spirit was genius wrapped in cheese, I loved it.