Farthest you've/you'd travel(ed) to buy vinyl

In your quest to score delish wax, how far have you physically gone to do so?

Post geographic details and wax purchased along w/ any other details...

The last serious trip I took was 3 years ago this month - Paris, Berlin and Amsterdam. Brought an empty suitcase with me, just in case I scored big... ended up paying a serious surcharge boarding the flight back to the States, as the case was 100 lbs over the limit. The whole affair - spending more time going thru thousands of bins of records, spending over $1500, etc. - ended up contributing to the end of a 7 year relationship. Oh well. Music is forever.

(Edit: The above was written w/o any relevant context, so it should be ignored, if you'd like)

Hmm. I can't remember everything I bought. Will post later.

The whole affair - spending more time going thru thousands of bins of records, spending over $1500, etc. - ended up contributing to the end of a 7 year relationship. Oh well. Music is forever.

There are no words.

Someone should start a thread about how our record loving/collecting has ruined our relationships. Maybe it's just me, but my desires for vinyl have really fucked up some serious relationships.

There are no words.

Someone should start a thread about how our record loving/collecting has ruined our relationships. Maybe it's just me, but my desires for vinyl have really fucked up some serious relationships.

That is one of the saddest things I have ever heard. I'm sorry.

How many of your relationships has vinyl contributed to the end of?

There are no words.

Every girl I've ever dated seriously has always realized they come in second place to my vinyl and they've always been fine with it. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Guest streetcore

I'd get bored and drive from lexington to louisville sometimes because cd central really sucks for good new and used records. Ear-x-tacy has a wider selection of crap and it's only about an hour away.

I'd get bored and drive from lexington to louisville because cd central really sucks for good new and used records. Ear-x-tacy has a wider selection of crap and it's only about an hour away.

Ah...Ear-x-tacy...I remember when that place was one store and a hole in the wall. Right on Bardstown road next The Great Escape comic book store. Memories.

never lost an old lady because of it.

Traveled like 25 mins to the far mall because their hot topic still had 2x copies of the falcon LP... but thats not far at all.

other than that, anyone i travel with knows ill hit up stores along the way. i cut through gainesville when i go to tampa just to hit up their stores. Always try to hit up vinyl fever in tampa when im there. Spent 1 full day of my 10 day vacation to portland going from store to store looking for cool shit, and i came back with about 10-12 records.

When I first started getting into records I used to drive about an hour away to a record store in Sarasota, FL that was on the 3rd floor of a book store, although they only had old LPs, I'm still sad to see that it's now gone. Other than that, I never make huge trips to find store, but whenever I'm in a city that I know has a record store I try to hit it up. I think I've been to most of the stores in Orlando, St. Pete/Tampa, Gainesville, Tallahassee, and St. Louis.

That is one of the saddest things I have ever heard. I'm sorry.

How many of your relationships has vinyl contributed to the end of?

Hmm (wonders if he should really get into this):

I'd have to say at least four. Two of them were very very significant. The most recent being a seven year relationship that fell apart for various reasons - a lot to do w/ financial shit - and my vinyl/gear collecting was brought up and thrown in my face more than a few times during the last few months of fights. I could see the person's point, but I really thought it was an unnecessary attack and was used in order to not have to deal w/ other issues at the time.

The trip to Europe was the death-knell. I believe my actions to pursue hard to find vinyl in the States made my ex feel as if I was putting my agenda ahead of everything else (which was not the case) - a "theme" that proved to be effective to justify that person's dubious (to say the least) behavior later that year.

I've said enough. I don't want to get too pissed right now…

Latro.

In your quest to score delish wax, how far have you physically gone to do so?

Post geographic details and wax purchased along w/ any other details...

The last serious trip I took was 3 years ago this month - Paris, Berlin and Amsterdam. Brought an empty suitcase with me, just in case I scored big... ended up paying a serious surcharge boarding the flight back to the States, as the case was 100 lbs over the limit. The whole affair - spending more time going thru thousands of bins of records, spending over $1500, etc. - ended up contributing to the end of a 7 year relationship. Oh well. Music is forever.

Hmm. I can't remember everything I bought. Will post later.

That's... insane. No offense, but if I were in Amsterdam and Berlin, I certainly wouldn't be going to record stores. I'd be soaking up the culture, and frequenting the many "cafes" and beer halls. It just seems like you could buy vinyl here, but I mean... $1500 worth of vinyl in a trip is a bit ridiculous.

I mean, if you like it, cool, but that certainly wouldn't be my priority.

The farthest I've travelled is here in Ottawa, because I moved from my actual house out here for a coop job, so I found EndHits, a sick shop downtown during my time here. So from my actual house, the farthest place I've bought vinyl was here, about 5 hours. From home... maybe 20 minutes, or the six seconds it takes for me to get to my computer to buy from VC/Ebay/etc.

i've never gone REALLY out of my way to get vinyl. i'll drive 20 minutes to the closest record store or whatever. i guess i've driven 6 hours to go to a concert and picked up a vinyl at the show, but i didn't drive 6 hours for the vinyl is the point. when i go on trips i'll usually take a side trip to a good store in the area, but i've never gone on a vacation purely to buy vinyl.

the furthest my vinyl has ever traveled to get to me... australia to illinois. i've gotten a few eBay steals because people don't trust overseas shipping. i love that.