Vinyl Junkie orders and paypal claim etiquette

and are thinking about filing a paypal claim.

take a second and chill. seriously.

i came home tonight to find 4 orders that were made no EARLIER than the 27th of november (meaning no more than 2 weeks old...hell one was from an order 6 days ago!), had paypal claims filed, and over 300 dollars of funds were temporarily taken from my account.

i know for a fact that 3 of the claims, and one email threat in reference to filing a claim soon are from people who post on VC. i also know a good handful of others who have ordered are from VC too, so i figured id make a post in case anyone else was thinking of filing a claim. it not the first time ive gotten claims filed within about 10 days of an order, but this time it seemed to all be in one chunk.

i know i have been a bit slower with sending out records lately, meaning instead of the normal 2-3 day turnaround, its been 4-10 days. still a pretty respectable turnaround time if you ask me.

before you do file, realize its only been 2 weeks or less, which is sort of a silly time to file a claim, unless the seller seems really sketchy, and is some random dude no one has any idea of their identity. not if the place you order from is a legit business.

secondly. any order placed is kept updated, and every customer has full access to any and all info regarding the shipment. for instance, the distro sends an email when the status changes from processing to shipped. you can also log in to the site and view the status of your order at any time.

also if you live in the US, you should recieve an email from paypal to inform you of when the item shipped as well as the tracking number on the package. if you dont recieve any email, you can access that at any time by logging into your paypal account and viewing your payment to me, which should tell you when it was shipped, and a tracking number. if the package was shipped less than 7-10 days ago, there is no reason to freak out yet, as its probably still in transit. (the only exception to that is if you place a huge order thats over 8 pounds in which case i need to hand mail it at the post office. i still get delivery confirmation, but it wont be logged with paypal. same rules apply. you can go by when the site said it was shipped, and if its been less than 7-10 days since your order was shipped, there is no need to worry, as its probably still in transit).

if the package hasnt gotten there with a couple weeks after either paypal or the distro, or both have said it was shipped, then feel free to contact me first to give me a chance to figure out what the problem is.

also please give any christmas shipping a couple extra fays to arrive as a lot of stuff gets delayed this time of year.

this is pretty standard etiquette when ordering from any place, i would assume. i know i am not the only distro/label that has lately seen a big rise in people filing claims within a week or 2 without any notice even.

some of ya'll just have itchy trigger fingers. but please stop and take a look at all the information in front of you before filing a formal claim requesting your money back

sorry for ranting so long.

i personally wait 4-6 weeks. maybe 3-4 before emailing/questioning, and 5-6 to file a claim. but im old school from before there was internet and waiting for orders became a lost art.

i totally understand filing a claim within 3 weeks, say for instance it was from someone completely unresponsive, and disappeared, or a first post sale from someone no one can vouch for, etc.

i just dont understand the mentality of paypal claims and/or angry emails within a week or two from a more established legit place of business.

more so, without emailing/contacting first and given a decent amount of time to respond. nothing bothers me more than random out of the blue claims.

its always nice to give someone the opportunity to fix it, or look into it before getting up in arms about it. its prety common to see threads on here about something with virgil/vc wondering about shipping time, or wrong/damaged product from people eager to file claims and spread it around on messageboards, before emailing them to give them a chance to make things right. its pretty frustrating to not even know there is a problem until its too late and there is a claim, or a long thread posted about you, before you are even aware of the situation.

I wait until he last possibe day to file a claim, and that's only if there has been no communication from the seller.

Sorry you're running into all of these problems. Kids today are crazy impatient. I once had a guy who won something on me through ebay CALL MY HOUSE three days after the auction ended complaining that he hadn't received anything...idiots.

thats shitty dude, I ordered something (not from you) and its been 36 days and its still not here yet. I emailed him asked when it shipped, got an answer and now i wait. If its not here by the last day to file a claim, ill file one but have some fucking patience.

I dont even like emailing and asking where is my stuff until its at least been a month.

Sucks dude, hope you get it taken care of.

(do you have 40 or 45 days to file a claim??)

but im old school from before there was internet and waiting for orders became a lost art.

Ah...the good ol' days. I recall getting the mailers from labels and bands and filling out the order form for what you wanted and sending them a check. After 3-4 weeks I'd get a record. It was awesome and very exciting.

I wait until he last possibe day to file a claim, and that's only if there has been no communication from the seller.

Sorry you're running into all of these problems. Kids today are crazy impatient. I once had a guy who won something on me through ebay CALL MY HOUSE three days after the auction ended complaining that he hadn't received anything...idiots.

Someone recently called my my house after midnight because it had been a week since the auction ended and hadn't received the item he won off eBay. I wanted to punch the dude in the face.

I send emails when I remember I ordered something and go "heh, I wonder where that is?" I've never had to file a claim for anything, but I did just get reimbursed by a store I tried to buy a preamp off of. They said they sent it, it didn't show up, they said they sent another, and it didn't show up either. I didn't even ask to be reimbursed, I just pointed out that I hadn't gotten anything yet and they were like "here's your money back!"

people need to understand how many orders a small distro gets. it's pretty ridiculous when people do things like this.

although i'm an impatient person, i don't have a problem waiting a little extra for records to come in. i know that things get delayed, people get busy, etc... but i always wait at least a month before i even contact the seller asking about it, even then it's polite and i just want to find out what's going on.

This is really unfortunate. I've ordered from Vinyl Junkie damn near 20 or more times and have never had a problem. I understand that there are sketchy labels/distros out there, but seriously, filing a paypal claim in such a short amount of time is inexcusable. Sucks to have to deal with people like that

/start rant

I don't even put up with people who act like this anymore, for better or worse on my part - I just refund them and send them on their way as I don't have time to deal with impatience, world revolves around me douche bags.

I know that sounds harsh, but as someone who has been treated like shit in a retail environment with no ability to stand up for himself more times than I'd like, I just don't put up with it now that I own my business and don't have to put my tail between my legs or send the problem to a manager who concedes to their stupid whims.

That being said, 99% of all customer claims or freak outs seem to come from people who just let their questions/problems/issues stew and stew and stew until the reach a boiling point and then react like someone pissed off, instead of just simply sending a message to the person, asking whatever it is they need to ask. I answer nearly all our messages in a day or two as polite, respectful and informative as can be - yet some people just hear the bad news, ignore everything else and let the douching commence.

In regards to Vinyl Junkie, we traded records a few months back and I waited for the record he sent for quite awhile and it didn't come. I messaged him politely about it with, he responded right away in the same manner, sent me another copy and couldn't have been easier to work with or a nicer guy. I could have got all pissed off and said, "where the fuck's my record man, you got yours right away and I don't have shit, what the hell?" but I didn't because I know not every person on the Internet is a crook and a thief, and even so, that's part of the risk one takes dealing over the Internet - if you aren't willing to take it, then don't.

If you don't have patience, don't order things online. If you can't treat people like you'd like to be treated, go jump off a fucking bridge. I may not be a fan of this garbage, but some people need to go back and watch Disney movies or cheesy kids show to learn some god damn common sense and manners.

/end rant

tony - did the original record ever show up? im pretty sure that first package i sent was just eatn by the usps unicorn fairy.

also, yeah, thats all im saying, a little common courtesy, or common sense. either check into the status, and realize shipping times, etc. or if its been longer than than standard times, just drop a line to say just checking in to let you know i havent gotten it yet.

also, im not gonna post the names of the people. im sure they have or will read the thread, and im not into public humiliation, or call outs. that would be pretty hypocritical. i privately emailed the people to express my thoughts. i figured id just make this general post for people to read since there is a growing trend of thoughts that everything should arrive within the first week or something, and to get a general consensus of appropriate etiquette.

tony - did the original record ever show up? im pretty sure that first package i sent was just eatn by the usps unicorn fairy.

Nope, never, not even a hint. =\ I didn't think I'd be at risk of someone wanting to take my Ten Foot Pole record, but hey, I hope they are at least listening to it. =P

Well, to be fair I really hate waiting a month for a record to get to me. Usually I dont need anything in a fast amount of time (cept a few xmas presents) so I dont care. I just prefer the seller to be honest with me. Sooo many times I've gotten a message from them on ebay saying it will ship out today. So I say ok cool. Then I get it four weeks later only to find that the post date on it was from four days ago. After they claim its been shipped I get worried that its lost in the mail. I rarely ever contact paypal (only once and I won) and then its at 35+ days after they claim to have shipped it.

I guess what I am getting at is I dont expect a record to ship in a day. If it does great, extra karma for you, but just be honest with your shipping time. If you say two days, then take two days, if its going to take you a month then say a month lol. I just won a copy of mercy me on white which I think was through vinyl junkie. I dont think I ever bought from you guys before, but I know I sent an email asking to simply email me when it ships. Just because I like to know whats in the mail. I am sure if it was you guys I'll get like a sock full of sperm. +1 if that happens :P

yeah i ahte that too. i dont mind waiting if a person is honest, and doesnt lie. i really hate when people say "its been shipped", and then the next week say "it was shipped today", and another week goes by and still nothing.

i never switch the status of a persons order on the site until the label has been printed and it has indeed, been shipped.

also sonix. im not sure what "mercy me on white" is, but it wasnt from me. im assuming it was through ebay, since you said won, and i dont sell anything on ebay anymore.